Monday, August 11, 2008

~ Did You See This? ~

        DsDesignsOlympics.jpg picture by 55hockeyfan


Well, most of you know I'm a jock at heart.  Sure hockey is my game, but when the Olympics are on I'm front and center.  I do sometimes cheer for the under dogs, but it's about my country, my home.  I like to see local boys and girls do good.  I still remember Miracle on Ice like it was yesterday.  I cried.  I never did actually see the entire movie that came out a few years back, I saw it the first time, the original.  Some day I'll watch, but I still want the 'real' memory. 

 

So last night I was watching the swimming.  Of course I'm cheering for Michael Phelps.  How can you not?  Well, the French can't.  Most may already know they did some smack talking regarding the 4 X 100 relay.  They were the favorites.  That was the event that caused concern in Phelps reaching his goal of 8 gold medals.  I sat on the end of my seat as the race began.  Yes, I was screaming in my living room.  LOL  By the time Lezak entered the pool the US was behind.  The pace was so fast and furious.  The World Record was on it's way to be shattered.  As the final turn was made I screamed.  My head whirling, 'oh  no he's not going to be able to do it.'  Then it happened.  You see him pulling closer and closer.  The touch on the wall was a photo finish for sure, but he did it.  He did not give up and swam with all he had.  Unbelievable, the boys from the US one the gold.   Bernard, from France, who made the bold prediction laid his head against the side of the pool.   The US celebrated.  I will admit I had tears as I watched Phelps pump his arms in the air, the veins in his neck protruding.  His quest is still on.  I don't get the smack talk, but I was proud of the boys.  Phelps went to the side of the pool and congratulated Bernard, shook his hand.  Class, such class and sportsmanship.   When the boys were asked by a reporter after the race 'who's talking now?' there was a few seconds of silence.  They did not play into that drama.  Made me proud.  What a race!  What a finish!  Another memory of the Olympics.

 

         
 

 

 

I do cheer for my country, always will, but the face of the winners says it all.  No matter who wins.  The anthem being played in medal ceremony.  The hard work paid off, their dreams fulfilled.  How can you not be happy for them?   I wish all the participants good luck in the quest, but it won't stop me from chanting USA! 

 

Yes, the tag is snaggable.   As with all my tags and snags a link back to my journal when used is much appreciated.

 

Hugs

~d

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

great video ....I had not seen this but read about the win in the paper.

have a great monday

Anonymous said...

Fabulous win for our boys.  Thanks for the video.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Get the eight, don't be late. I am behind him all the way, Bill

Anonymous said...

As much as I'm not a sports nut, much less into the Olympics, your version of it was very well put chick!

Anonymous said...

That was one of the best U.S. Olympic moments in recent history, I'd say.  Doug and I were cheering right along with Michael Phelps.  

But even better than that was the faces of the French athletes.  They must've felt about 2 feet tall....and in front of the entire world.  LOL

XOXO,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

Wow, I missed watching last night, I fell asleep.  I wished I would have caught the Olympics, some of it anyway, esp. what you caught.  Sounds like class acts all the way around.  

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I missed it last night but YEAH Phelps. Thanks for sharing. Emmi

Anonymous said...

Was rahing right with ya! Great tag~

Anonymous said...

I didn't watch it (but am going to thanks to your Youtube) but have been reading it all morning.....I need to sit my arse down & start watching thats for sure....

I always did love the Olympics...

Michele

Anonymous said...

I saw it all and was screaming with you....it was glorious.....and they did it with such class....GO USA!!!
-Ellie

Anonymous said...

I was glad to hear this morning that Michael and all his team mates did the ultimate!
Missie

Anonymous said...

I didn't see it!  

Hollie

Anonymous said...

I was on the edge of my seat also.  The French were in shock.  France has seemed to have quite an attitude for a few years now.  Love the tag!  I see you got yourself some Elia C. tubes.  love em!  Chris

Anonymous said...

Marv is the Olympic not around here....I don't watch much of it. Because this apartment is so small and we only have one tv here though, you can't help but watch when something like that is going on.....and I did. I'm with you, it was really an awesome moment for the USA, and those boys are the definition of the word "class"

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

The swimming was was great, winning right at the end like that.  I hope Michael Phelps wins all eight gold medals, that would be so cool.  Hope you had a happy Monday.  Luv ya!

Allison

Anonymous said...

Was that not AWESOME!?! I am a former swimmer and that by far is the BEST relay race EVER!!!!!!! OMG, I was yelling and crying at the same time.... Go Team USA!!!!!!

Tawnya

Anonymous said...

Cute tags. I have no time to see the Olympics at all but i will love to hear about them thru YOU
XOOX

Anonymous said...

I havne't missed a minute~Did you know it's on until 7 am?  My dtr was a swimmer on the US Swim Team/Northeast Division...her specialty was the anchor on for the relays.  I was holding my breath, then yelling, jumping and YES! They did it!  Un-friggin' believable!!  I don't think I've been so pumped since Nicci was swimming.  LMAO!   hugs,  Bethe  

Anonymous said...

I was screaming at the TV too...!!  Go USA!  I have become quite the night owl, but luckily this month I can take the time to have a nap during the day... albeit with the olympics on in the background... :D

V

Anonymous said...

Glad your enjoying the olympics ~ you must be even prouder of Phelps by now lol ;)

Jenny

Anonymous said...

Hi hun :) Hows it going? Just wanted to say hi since its been while. Its been crazy busy here since we have had to get little one ready for back to school. she starts Tues. So we are trying to enjoy the last few days left of her summer vacay. Anyhow i wanted to say im so glad u had a good weekend and more so the shower turned out well. despite the awful weather. the pics was great. The girls are beautiful. Glad u all had a blast :) I admit lol i havent try to catch it though very soon. But im soo happy we are winning and doing well. Go US! Well hun take care. Have a good Friday and weekend ahead :)
ttys xoxo, Leslie