Sunday, December 23, 2007

~ Eve of the Eve ~

DsDesignsHappyHolidays.gif picture by 55hockeyfan


I can't believe Christmas Eve officially arrives in less then an hour.   Emotions flood over me in a flash.  Happy, sad, worried, and excited.  I have no idea what to expect the next couple of days.  I do know I miss my sister and I so wish she was here with us. 

 

Today was spent finishing the wrapping.  Why I left things 'til the end is beyond me.  But, I am done and it's all under the tree.  No reason to hide gifts away.  Besides, I thought if they were sitting there it would help bring on the spirit.  And it has, a little.  

 

My neighbors had to do a trip to Philly.  They left this morning to drive their daughter back, they will be home tomorrow.  I was asked to dog sit.  No problem, the dog is easy.  Or so I thought.  I went up to get him to take him out to do his duty.  He got all excited and came running down the stairs.  We went to the basement and as I opened the sliding glass door he turned his nose up and walked away.  He's not dumb.  It was raining and the wind was howling.  He walked away and made his way back home.  Leaving me standing there in the door way.  Ok, so he doesn't have to go.  I tried several more times through the day, and natta.  He was having nothing to do with it.  Hours later all I could think was he would have an accident.  So I forced him outside and left him there until he went.  He stood looking at me with the big puppy dog eyes wanting to come back in.  The cold must have hit him.  After a few minutes he walked over to the grass and went.  YEAH!!  He headed back to the door and as I opened it he ran like a bat out of hell up the stairs.  I think he was pissed at me.  If could have I think he may have done it literally after making him go out. 

 

The weather has been wacky all day.  Rain, and snow.  Lots of wind, with gusts over 60 MPH.  At times you'd look out and it would just look cold.  Other times you couldn't see across the street.  Doesn't look to be accumulating much, and I hope it stays that way.  Though having a white Christmas is wonderful, I do not want to be buried.

 

Tomorrow we will gather at my parents house.  I will probably go over early with the bags and bags that need to go.  For not exchanging gifts we sure do have a lot of them.  LOL  Those damn kids are so spoiled.  :)  I'm talking the little kids, by the way.   After a quick visit and help with last minute things I will come home and get ready.  We won't be gathering until later in the day as some have to work.  I am so glad I am not one of them!!   We won't be doing our traditional turkey dinner tomorrow.  We will do roast beef sandwiches, ham, cheesy potatoes, salads, clam chowder.  Of course this will be in addition to your normal party snacks of veggie trays, taco dip, cheese and crackers.  Let us not forget pies and cookies.  Mom is afraid there won't be enough food.  LMAO!!   Mothers, they always think that don't they?

 

Tuesday morning my sisters boys, my son, and his girlfriend will come over to open gifts.  We will do a big breakfast and then split up and go our merry way.  I hope I have some time to 'play' with my gift.  It will be a little crazy, but keeping busy will be good.  I do wish you all a very Merry Christmas!!

 

Hugs

~d

41 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful Christmas, filled with all the good things. And may 2008 bring you many blessings.
Hugs,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

And a very Merry Christmas to YOU.  I know it's going to be a hard one.  I'll be thinking about ya hard over the next few days.
Love,
MJ
:)

Anonymous said...

I just finished wrapping.  Santa doesn't wrap so that is a bonus.  Your get togethers sound nice.  Ours drag on and on.  
Blessings to you and your family.  Prayers going up for strength in getting through the next couple of days.
Traci

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful and blessed holiday ....I know the next couple days will be difficult for both of us ....we just have to think of the memories.

Big hugs sent to you Donna

Anonymous said...

Beautiful animation,very glittery & festive!

Merry Christmas, Donna!!
Marie

Anonymous said...

D, Have a great Christmas my friend, you have planty to keep you busy.
Hugs to you, Gaz xxxx

Anonymous said...

Seven more minutes and it's Christmas Eve-hope you have a beautiful Christmas,and all the best the Nnew Year Can Bring

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Donna, though these holidays are bittersweet, I hope that you and your family will be surrounded with the comfort and peace of a "love-filled" family gathering.  Through experience I know that you will find strength within each other.  Stay warm & safe.
Peace~
Linda

Anonymous said...

I wish you nothing but the best for you Donna. Many hugs to you my friend.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Yeah...  It's after midnight and I myself have just finished wrapping the stocking "stuff".  I procrastinate with just about everything - why should Christmas be different?  (maybe because I'm exhausted and would have enjoyed this time with much less stress if I DIDN'T??  ;o) )

This time of year brings many emotions with it, and I believe it wise and healthy to allow each one to come - and then of course, thankfully sometimes, to pass... You're in my thoughts, Donna.  May your heart be light.

I wish you and those you love a peaceful, happy holiday!

Hugs,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I hope you get a chance to play with your toys too!  Merry Everything, Donna!

xx
Russ

Anonymous said...

Praying joy finds you in many little ways.  - Barbara

Anonymous said...

all that food sounds delicious! I love that tag......i hope you, your parents, your siblings, your son and his girlfriend all have a blessed Christmas.
LOVE,
lj

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful Christmas and Christmas Eve.  Thanks for being such a wonderful person to me all year. Luv ya! : )

Allison

Anonymous said...

I don't have a dog anymore, but my cats will not go out if it's cold, wet, or windy.  They stand at the door and look at me as if I'm mad.  Luckily with a cat they can use the litter tray.
Happy Christmas Eve Donna.  I hope you manage to have a lovely day tomorrow no matter what it brings for you.  It will be a hard day for you all I know.  I'll be thinking of you.
Carolxx

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family. Hugs, Helen

Anonymous said...

Blessings to you and your family as you gather together. Laughter, tears, hugs, the warmth of a home with hearts filled with love for one another, cherished memories, such a special Christmas gift given to each of you by your sister who has loved and is loved in return. May your love for one another bring a sense of peace and joy this Christmas season.
Hugs
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours Donna. We have both lost a loved one recently, so this year will be slightly different for us both.Thinking of you with Love
Aileen....X
http://journals.aol.co.uk/haileen2003/wishing-and-hoping

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful party!  I will some extra prayers for you and your family the next few days!  My husband has to work today also so we won't be having our celebration till a little later either.  Linda

Anonymous said...

Have a great Christmas, Donna :-)

Anonymous said...

Praying that your family can find a ray of light this holiday season.  LOL at the dog.  My dog is a mixed lab and absolutely hates the wind.  He is 11 and a grumpy old man.  I had to drag him out by his leash last night.  Love the tag!  Love you, Chris

Anonymous said...

Donna
Too funny about the dog, LOL!  It sounds like your Christmas Eve is a family filled event each year.  I love getting together with family on Christmas, it makes it such a special time.  Good luck with the weather, the forecast for your area sounds pretty iffy!  I hope you all enjoy the festifities and stay safe.  Merry Christmas to you all!
Sam

Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I know how you are feeling with the loss of your dear sister.  The loss of my Mom is truly setting in now.  I did laugh about the dog... LOL  My dogs love the snow...they dig their beards in it, come back in looking very funny.  You have a great Christmas Eve...and thank you for being a good friend...your at the top of my list...as a kind and caring person.  Hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

~~Merry Christmas~~

Sharon

http://journals.aol.com/buggieboo1/ImASurvivor/

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Donna and I wouldn't have gone outside either, LOL.  It sounds like your will have a great time.

             Julie

Anonymous said...

Donna, wishing you a very"Merry Christmas" with your family, Love and Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

My emotions are running strong today as well...I woke up a bawling mess, as christmas eve was always the day Jeff and I went to my Aunt Judy's (played Santa for her daughter) and we had dinner together and watched movies and chatted...I have memories from all those years to last a lifetime...but it will never be the same.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family today...as I know it will be hard on you all...wishing you a day filled with the love and comfort of being together... Going to light a candle  for your sister.... today I have a candle lit in my home for all in Jland who have lost loved ones....and for my grandma and Aunt Judy...Big hugs!

Merry Christmas!

Terri

Anonymous said...

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!
Missie

Anonymous said...

That poor dog! Would you have gone out to do your duty in that??!! Sounds like you have a full Christmas ahead of you, enjoy it! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

Too funny about the dog..We had the same nasty winds..It was a hoot being out shopping in that. And after running around the parking lot looking for our cars, my daughter realized that we had come out of the wrong mall door...lol..
I know it's hard, but I hope you have a Merry Christmas!
Hugs, Sheri

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))That is funny the not wanting to go out,but,glad you made Him go out anyways and He went to the bathroom.Yes,Moms always worrie about not having not food.My Mom is worrying about that today to.I hope you all have a wodnerful Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Hey good luck with the dog lol. I personally am not a dog person at all. Hope u had fun at Christmas dinner. -Missy

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Christmas Donna......... hope everything went ok.

LOL...... i had to dog sit for my neighbours dog too...... they were due to be away till Thursday but could not hack the place they went to so ended up back at home....... only problem was there was no food.... luckily enough my Son in law cooked dinner for 10 of us....so we managed to give them Xmas dinner and mince pies.

Anonymous said...

Hey hun. I know this is late but Merry Christmas to u. It sounds like u all were going to have a wonderful one. The food sounded good, simple but yummy. Thats ok cause geez the pressure of making a big holiday meal is alot. Yes ur very right kids are so spoiled arent they, lol. They were at my families home, lol We had Christams Eve at my moms side of the families, my uncles house. There was tons of food then agian they were plenty of ppl to feed, lol. Lots and lots of gifts or the kids. It was a blast. Today was a little more laid back, had Christmas at the inlaws home. Its usually just my hubbys parents, us and hubbys g-parents, nice meal and good desserts. It was a good time. I can imagine it was prob a very tough Christmas for u all without ur sis but i am sure too in her honor, u had a good time and she smiled upon u all. Cant wait to hear all about it. Wow what weather u had there too geez thats crazy. I dont blame that poor dog for not wanting to be there long, lol. Thats unreal. I feel we are in opposite sides of the world, lol. It was in the 70s here today, warm and beautiful, lol. Well hun take care. Hope u had a Merry Christmas! xoxo, Leslie

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Donna!  I know it's late on Christmas day at this point but I do hope you had a good one.

many hugs, Bethe