Thursday, December 13, 2007

~ Winter Silence ~

DsDesignsMyBackyard.jpg picture by 55hockeyfan


Evenin!  Thought I'd share a bit of my day.  I took the day off to take my Mother and my younger sister shopping.  We made plans last week.  We planned to make a day of it.  Getting out early, do lunch, and have some fun.  My sister's birthday is tomorrow so it worked out perfect.  That is until this morning.  I got up and got moving early.  I had some coffee and visited some journals.  By 8:30 the snow started falling.  It kept falling.  Nice big flakes.  Pretty flakes drifting to the ground, as they passed tree branches the jumped on and stayed there.  It made a pretty winter wonderland, except that it was a bit dreary.  I took my shower and got dressed.  I was amazed at the amount of snow that fell.  I grabbed my camera and went into the backyard to get a few pictures.  Two black birds snuggled in a tree to stay warm.  Another by itself looking over the land.  You can see that it is snowing in the pictures.  Not real sure how to get rid of that 'blur', but hopefully with practice I can do it.  I then decided to take a quick video so you could see... and hear... winter silence.

 

We did go to the mall and got a bit of shopping done.  Driving was horrible, and the snow kept falling.  I bought new boots and a few odds and ends for my son.  They bought the gifts they needed too.  A lot of time was spent looking for each other.  GRRRR  That's the norm when I take them.  Actually, probably the norm when anyone takes them.  That's why I took the WHOLE day off.  LOL  On the way home the snow had stopped and we took a run into Premier Liquor.  I finished up my gift for my 'secret Santa' that will be given tomorrow at our department holiday lunch.  Of course, I also picked up a few stocking stuffers for the kids.  Shot/sample size bottles of booze.  No worries, they are all of legal age!

 

When I finally got home I wanted to cry.  The driveway was full.  A good 6 inches of snow.  Wet heavy snow.  After a long day, I knew my body was not going to be able to clear it.  My driveway is huge and can hold 6 cars comfortably and we still have empty space.  To say nothing about it being on a hill.  Usually a friend stops with his plow, but I couldn't take the chance.  My driveway is horrible in winter.  Even with a small amount of snow the hill is a killer trying to get up it and out.  I needed to be sure I could get out in the morning.  I called my son and he came to my rescue.  What a good boy!  He started clearing the way and the friend did show up.  My son was thrilled.  Surely he wasn't happy he came for no reason, but I know he was glad he didn't have to do it.  LOL  Feeling bad I made him come out for nothing I sent him home with some goodies.  His girlfriend has been asking him to grab his stocking so they could hang it at their house.  Well, I did one better.  I had a stocking for her.  A beautiful white ice skate.  Sparkle snowflakes for the lace holes, a little ribbon.  For him, a cowboy boot.  LOL  I wanted a hockey skate but couldn't find one.  I also had ornaments with their names on them.  So I put them in a Christmas bag and sent him on his way.  The plan was to fill them and have them here for Christmas morning, but this worked out well.  I have his stocking from growing up and extra for her so I can still fill them.  He told me not to worry about the shoveling etc... but still...

 

My driveway is clear and I have no worries about tomorrow.  I hope!  They are not calling for snow this evening but they are warning us of a huge winter storm coming thru this weekend.  Apparently they are saying it could snow as far south as Georgia.   Sam, ever have snow at the docks?   LOL  Sending lots of warm hugs to everyone... be safe if the weather turns frightful.

 

~d

 
               

39 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got a lovely backyard!  
And yep....we're supposed to be getting that awful storm this weekend too.  Stay warm and safe!  

XOXO,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

Donna, so glad your driveway got cleared , Hugs to you Lisa

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures and video ...I am not a winter person ..but back in Kansas now ...supposed to have snow tomorrow and Saturday

Will be sending it you way too!

Have a great time tomorrow  ...sounds like you have a great son.

Hugs

Mari

Anonymous said...

I hope we start to get some of that snow!!!!!!!!  SOON!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

And more is coming...  We are expecting from six to nine inches over the weekend.  SIGH  Is it Spring yet?

xxxx
Russ

Anonymous said...

WOWOWOW - now that is the buffalo I remember - BTW - I did get your email about the amtrack train station and not knowing exactly where it is - to be honest it was so long ago I do not know either...I do remember that it was a HUGE old building and only amtrack was using it...everything inside was abandoned...only one little ticket office open part time...taxis were rare there....but the building on the outside I just loved (inside too - massive cathedral ceilings - just beautiful) but I have no idea if it would still be opened....anyway...If you ever happen across it - don't forget pics...and of course any pictures of the University of Buffalo...all my pictures are GONE in a fire I had about 15 years ago...I have nothing left of my time there....but no worries if you cannot...I just did not want you to think I did not read your email to me...
Shoveling snow in Buffalo almost seems endless....so glad you have a friend who will help you with your driveway...now that is a definite blessing...
So glad your son was willing to jump in....I am sure his girlfriend and him will just love everything you got for them...the stockings sound too cute.
At least you got out and were able to do more last minute shopping...Have a great friday....and thanks for sharing the snow video...brought back some fun memories...have not touched snow in about 20 years - so looking at it and hearing it really was nice!!!
Peace--Ellie

Anonymous said...

AWWW... thanks for the winter silence video. I love snow like that, but we've not had any in a long time. Enjoy looking out the window at your winter wonderland. They keep saying we're getting something Saturday, but I don't believe it yet.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

Love your graphic and the video also. Thanks for sharing. Helen

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))I am glad you had a good time with your family.That is a beatiful video.Have a good dya.

Anonymous said...

That sure is a a snow storm.  We still do not have any snow.:(
Glad to hear you had a good day shopping with your family.
It was good of your son and your friend to help clear your drive.
Loved the pictures and the video.  Thanks
Keep warm.
Carolxx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/carolelainedodd/a-quiet-life......i-wish/

Anonymous said...

I love to waken up and see the snow lying like a silent blanket over everything.  It creates diferent shapes to the familiar scene we are used to.
I don't like driving in it as we live at the top of a very steep hill and its a nighmare to get out and back home again.   We don't have a drive.  We park outside and its scary watching everyone negotiate around each other trying to get home and parked again.
My blackbirds are enjoying their sunflower seeds outside on the wall of our Koi pond.  We have frost but no snow...thank goodness!
Take care out and about in it all.  Glad you got help with your drive.
Hugs
Jeanie  xxx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/kirkbyj05/DaytoDayLifeintheLakes

Anonymous said...

Hi! Donna.....love to see the Snow but don't envy you just now. so glad you got help with clearing it.Allan clears mine when it happens.  Love the Collage......
It's my Birthday too (14th)....see Entry. Sending birthday wishes to your Sister.
I love the Carol 'In the Bleak Midwinter'
Aileen....X
http://journals.aol.co.uk/haileen2003/wishing-and-hoping

Anonymous said...

What a lovely entry from the colage at the top through to your snow scene at the end ,and then lots of newsy stuff in thre middle ,you sound very organised ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

if i hear one more person in my IRL talk about the impending blizzard i will scream..that is ALL they talk about at work.....6 inches supposedly. I hate the winter and the snow!! I hope they are wrong.
How truly nice of you to give your son and his GF such nice gifts....really.....i bet she was so tickled by your kindness. Glad you got out and had a good time with your mom and sister. Be safe today.
LOVE, lisa

Anonymous said...

It is so pretty!  That is until you have to shovel it or go out in it!!  LOL  Linda

Anonymous said...

Oh.....I wish it would snow...that video just confirms it.....(((pouty look on face)))

Glad your driveway is clear....have a happy Friday....

Michele

Anonymous said...

Oh that wonderful wintery stuff. I love the video because I don't have to be out in it. Your such a good mom, always got one up your sleeve. Take care and enjoy your Friday!
Katie

Anonymous said...

We ended up with just a little ice storm here in PA yesterday, but snow is heading our way for Saturday.
Missie

Anonymous said...

the falling snow makes me cold just looking at it.  love your pix and layout.  glad you didn't let the falling snow keep all of you from your day of shopping.
gina

Anonymous said...

OHHH MAAANNNN!!! Is that snow ever Purty!!!!!  I love snow!  LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!
Thanks for sharing!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the silence.  lol

Very thoughtful of you D to make sure there's a stocking for her too.  :)

Anonymous said...

The snow is so pretty!

They say we are suppose to get some snow/sleet starting tonight here in Kentucky..we shall see

Hugs
Terri

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,

I loved your pics and the video....how beautiful it is!!  So glad your neighbor was able to clear your driveway.  How very thoughtful of you to send the stockings and goodies, I'm sure his girlfriend was thrilled!  My sister & hubby are driving from NY to come to TX to be with all of the family for Christmas!!  Hope the weather cooperates though, it's snowing in her area too.

Take Care,
~Bilinda~

Anonymous said...

Donna
Glad you were able to get the shoppiing trip in regardless of the snow.  We all know your son would come help you with the driveway unless he had to work.  I'm glad to hear he had some time off to come and start to help.  Great idea with the two sets of stockings.  The ones you sent home with him sound very nice, well done!  Now, as to snow on the docks ... it has snowed three times in the ten years I have lived in Savannah.  It was flurries each time and did not stck.  The last snow that stuck here was in the mid to late eighties, and since it has not repeated itself, one might see how rare that is.  No snow prediceted for this town this weekend.  I sure wish just once, while I am here it would happen and stick.
Sam

Anonymous said...

That snow is sure beautiful and peaceful. I'd love to be able to look out a window and enjoy it from INDOORS! But, the work that is involved with living where it snows would KILL me!
Stay warm and safe, and have a good weekend.
Pam

Anonymous said...

I'm done with the term today & now I'm on my free time & want to take a day for fun, pampering & holiday spirite but we are suppose to be getting snow now...up to 6 inches maybe. I think I'll get a manicure & pedicure tomorrow.

Thanks for the video...I love the hush of snowfall & the crunching of steps.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!

Cindy

Anonymous said...

I'm Christmas caroling thru J-Land.  You are invited to stop by and listen to mhy carol by clicking the link below.
Hugs,
D
http://journals.aol.com/heavenlybama/journey-to-success/entries/2007/12/14/christmas-caroling-thru-j-land/800

Anonymous said...

Hi hun, *hugs* Hope ur having a good weekend so far. First of all i loved the movie. I will never see anything like that in my lifetime as long as im living here, lol. We have had 80 degree weather all week blah. But starting tomm and the next few days we are getting cooler weather i cant wait. But nothing compaired to that wow. That was neat and really beautiful. Ty for sharing as always hun i loved the pics. Thats great u got to go out shopping with ur mom, little sis and u all got some things u wnated to get. Wow thats crazy u had that much snow in ru driveway when u got home. Glad ur son came up to help even though ru friend hlped out too. I love the stocking u got for ur son and his gf thats so sweet. Cute ideas there hun. Glad u had a great day. Except all that snow hopefully it will clear up soon. Take care hun. have a good rest of day and ttys :)
xo, Leslie

Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice to have such a good son? Great pictures.I like how you displayed them. We've been hit with alot of snow also..
Have a great week-end.
Sheri

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday greetings to your sister Donna! The reason I like to shop alone is because I lose people too, I can imagine it's hard work finding them again in the Christmas crowds! Wow, that snow made me shiver! I'm so glad Steve didn't have to shovel all the snow alone, bless your friend for turning up. Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

Anonymous said...

I wish my son would get out and shovel!  Linda

Anonymous said...

Send some of that snow to Germany! I really, really want a white Christmas this year!!!!

Anonymous said...

Lots of snow.  Let it snow let it snow, let it snow!!  LOL  I hear the East coast has a storm headed for tomorrow. Enjoy.  It's nice and Sunny here.  LOL Have a good Sunday Donna.  Luv ya!

Allison

Anonymous said...

There are times when I really miss snow.  And then you reminded me of the reason I don't...shovelling!  It sure looks pretty though!
Traci

Anonymous said...

very pretty but I hate snow but i know we will get our share soon here in Kentucky

Anonymous said...

<a href="www.aol.com">nice</a>