Friday, December 28, 2007

~ Transformation ~

Well, the count down has begun.  Several weeks ago I had mentioned the 'Ice Bowl'.  Hmmmm the NHL is actually calling it the 'Winter Classic.'  Remember?  The Buffalo Sabres and the Pittsburgh Penguins will be playing outside on News Year Day.  It's not the first time it's happened, but it's the first time in the new NHL that it will be taking placing in the good 'ole USA. 

 

Sunday afternoon, immediately following the Buffalo Bills game, the transformation started.  In the midst of pounding rain/snow and high wind gusts the workers started taking down the goal posts and preparing the football field to become an ice rink.  With such limited time they are working 12 hour shifts around the clock.  That is, except for Christmas day.  Good thing too, remember the snow?  It was hard enough laying the tarp in the wind, doing any other work in the 'storm' would have been hell. 

 

 

        

 

The tarp was laid and the wood put in place.  Since the football field has a 6-9 inch crown at center field they had to level off the surface.  Tubing laid, sand, water, more sand.  Refrigeration in place to keep it ice. They let the sand get cold and virtually freeze.  The have the boards up, and the ice was completed.  The have it painted white, and they put another layer of water.  When it freezes again they will paint the logo and add more water to freeze over the top. 

 

Guess what?   Currently it is 44 degrees and raining!  Yes, you heard me right, rain!   The one thing we feared more then anything.  No harm, no foul.  The temps will drop again tonight and it will get cold for several days.  Snow flurries are expected on New Years Eve, and all should be a go for Tues. 

 

I really wanted to go, but the more I see the rink the more I think that is way too much money to be 'part of it'.   It's hard enough to see a football from the stands, I can't imagine seeing a puck.  Good Gawd!  I'd need binoculars for sure.  Ok, ok, I'll admit it.  I still want to go!!  Damn it!!

 

Sooooooooooooo if you aren't too hung over, and have a few minutes.... check some of it out on Tuesday.  This commercial was filmed locally.  Ryan Miller in a meat locker to get the frosted breath effect.  They showed some of the filming and when he walked out you could tell he was frozen.  Should be interesting to see how the boys are all dressed on Tuesday.  You know where I'll be.  Yeap.  In the comfort of my warm home, drink and snacks in hand, glued to the TV.  Lets go Sabs!

 

              

 
            

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I just don't know anything about hockey.   Rain, on the other hand, I know plenty about  lol
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Hey, sounds like fun! Hope your team wins! -Missy

Anonymous said...

It will be on TV and you can relax nice and snug in your cozy home with the extra room that is available.  LOL  

Allison

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

WOW - outdoors - now that should be interesting but I am like you - I would need to see the puck.....at least to make it worth it....
I think I would stay home in warmth and enjoy it on the TV.....
the transformation was amazing...I remember all the football games I saw at that stadium....now all ice...I am just amazed.
Thanks for sharing it
Peace--Ellie

Anonymous said...

WOW - outdoors - now that should be interesting but I am like you - I would need to see the puck.....at least to make it worth it....
I think I would stay home in warmth and enjoy it on the TV.....
the transformation was amazing...I remember all the football games I saw at that stadium....now all ice...I am just amazed.
Thanks for sharing it
Peace--Ellie

Anonymous said...

Id of love to of gone and see my beloved pens..but I too cant justify spending that amt of money for a ticket right after xmas....but good luck to your team!!!

Anonymous said...

I totally can't wait for this!!!! They are thinking about doing something like this in Michigan for the college teams next year!!! I think. I am so excited to see this game..... I don't know who I will be rooting for, I love the Pens and I really like some of the Sabres.... Tawnya

Anonymous said...

So wait... you watch this sport OUTSIDE?

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a DVD of "The Ice Bowl"...that was fascinating and awful and hilarious!

xxxxxxx
Russ

Anonymous said...

Way too cool Donna .....It would be awesome to attend the game ...but way too cold.

Thank you for sharing this

Anonymous said...

Good luck to your boys Donna ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

good luck to your boys and i hope it freezes and rain don't melt the ice. ((((((hugs))))))))
Love ya,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Loved watching the video..... Thanks Donna.

I must admit i hear where your coming from with watching the game. I love watching football, have never been to a match, but apart from the atmosphere feel that you have everything you need at home to watch in comfort. I would need triple strength binoculars i think......lol. The problem is they move to fast !!!

Whatever you decide i hope that you have a wonderful time
hugs Jayne

Anonymous said...

those two videos were COOL!!!!!!!!

You have me excited all the way in Ohio and i know nothing about hockey. I WILL keep tabs on your team on the 1st.
LOVE YOU
lj

Anonymous said...

i haven't watched a hockey game since my mother died. Being canadian, she watched 'em all the time. i think i will flip this one on out of curiousity. i just may get into it! but......having family in PA, i will have to go with the Penguins. too bad we can't be in the same room routing for opposing teams, now that would be fun. but i'll scream away here....you can scream away in your living room, and i'll pretend i am hearing you and laugh :)
~Cathy

Anonymous said...

Sounds exciting, although very cooo-old! It should be a fun game for anyone who bundles up well enough not to freeze to death!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun.....but whew....COLD!!!

Michele

Anonymous said...

Loved the videos.  I couldn't sit in the cold for love or money, or hockey!!
We in the UK have had torrential rain too.
Have a great Sunday tomorrow.
Carolxx

Anonymous said...

I do believe those boys are crazy!  And every fan in attendance!  LOL

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

Give me a thermostat of hot buttered rums and I would SO be there! I love hockey ( I come from St. Louis) and I miss going to the games like I did as a child.

Hope the weather is treating you  guys a bit better!

Stacy

Anonymous said...

Home and warm is where I'd be too!  Nothing like being at the game -- except maybe being able to see the action better!

Anonymous said...

Wow hun, u really know ur stuff. Ty for filling us in and the movies too. I really enjoyed them. I had no idea at all what it all entails to get something like that going. Its amazing and unreal. dang what weather u all have been having. U really need to come by to fl. Its been in the 80s, lol. Im not kidding its ridiclous, lol. I mean i love it being sunny and warm but not during the holidays season. Wow that awful weather sure hasnt helped them either to finish the project to get it all ready. I hope ur able to go hun. I cant tell u really want to see it but are holding back. I cant understand that too. I kwow u will still enjoy the game just the same at home. Its more fun and comfy anyway being in ur own house. Take care hun. Ty for the snags btw great as always. Off to ur new entry :)
*hugs, Leslie

Anonymous said...

Wow, Donna!  That is a lot of preparation to get the field transformed, and in such harsh weather conditions.  I know you would like to be at that game, but seeing it live on TV in the comfort of the home is a really good second choice.  I hope the boys win!
Sam

Anonymous said...

Cool video, literally, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

    Now that's cool. I'd rather stay warm though.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a transformation...so cool.  Thanks for sharing and enjoy those snacks...in your warm home!!  Hugs and love,
Joyce