Saturday, December 15, 2007

~ The Great Outdoors ~

DsDesignsGreatOutdoors12-15-07.jpg picture by 55hockeyfan


Early this morning I was standing at my kitchen counter making a cup of coffee.  Looking out my window it appeared I was in a bird sanctuary.  It was amazing to see the flight of so many different kinds of birds.  It was early and I was not dressed, but I wanted to try and get a shot of a few of them.  I grabbed my camera and went to my bathroom window.  I popped the window open, lifted the storm window, and then the screen.  There I stood with cold air rushing in, camera in hand.  I could smell the newly lit fire in the basement, see the smoke as it drifted out over the lawn.  In the distance I heard the tap tap tap of something I wasn't sure of.  When I looked off in the distance near the base of a tree there was woodpecker.  Playing his music as the other birds danced through the sky.  Some landing for an occasional rest.  Others singing along to his drum.  Then of course the red of the cardinal caught my eye.  So bright and vibrant.  I had to share.

 

I did a bit of running today.  I had to get a few more items for Christmas and I wanted to run to the grocery store.  I didn't need much, but they had been calling for a massive winter storm and I didn't want to get caught flat footed.  Ok, I didn't want to be caught without some goodies to nibble on incase I was stuck in the house.  :)   The weatherman hit it right on target.  The snow started falling about 7:15 or so.  It's the finest snow, and appears almost like that fake stuff you would see in a movie.   Fake it is not!  It's not accumulating like they had predicted and now they are saying it will turn to freezing rain in the early morning then turn back to snow.  We'll see what I wake up to.

 

Some may remember, back in June, I did an entry about 'local boy makes good'.  Patrick Kane was drafted number 1 in the NHL draft by the Chicago Blackhawks.  Patrick grew up in South Buffalo, and is the current hockey darling of the city.   At barely 19, he is playing in the NHL.  A dream come true!  My Dad knows his Grandfather, so his career is of great interest to us.  Back in Sept or so when the schedule came out we learned Chicago would be coming to play the Sabres.  My Dad wanted to go, but when I looked back then there were only single tickets and in the 300 level.  With the issues my Dad has that was not going to work.  There was no way he could get to the top of the arena.  Well, the other day my brother bought tickets.  In the 100 level, 22 rows from the ice.  No stairs, and no climbing.  Perfect seats.  Of course he took my Dad.  I've been so excited for him since I learned he was going. 

 

The game started out with a tribute to Patrick, the fans applauding like mad for him.  There was a ceremonial puck drop that brought his Dad, and his Grandfather to center ice.  What a tear jerker.  So emotional.  I was so happy my Dad was there to see it.  Then the best of all best.   Just a bit over 2 minutes into the game Patrick scores a goal.  The crowd cheered even though it meant our boys were down 1-0.  I wonder if his family even made it to their seats to see it.   Good news is, that is all they wrote for Chicago.  The boys went on to win 3-1.  The best of all worlds. 

 

AOL has been extremely funky these days.  Takes several attempts to open some journals, and sometimes I have to try multiple times before I can even leave a comment.  If the AOL God's want to grant me the privilege.  WTF!?!  Ohhh... another update.....  Guess we should be glad we have alerts.  :::knocking on wood:::  Nothing like being behind on alerts, trying to Carol thru JLand and not having the freaking place work.  UGH!!!  I did do my best, and know I've been around...  comments didn't always stick, and sometimes you got a few.  Sorry. 

 

Ok, I'm off to bed... stay warm and safe.

 

Hugs

~d

39 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did great with those birds....both in pix and words.    I have a few bird feeders hanging around the yard, and we have woodpeckers and cardinals visit us often, too.   I wouldn't have thought woodpeckers liked a NY winter, though!  lol   Stay warm.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,

I love these pics of the birds....so vibrant in the snow.  Thanks for sharing your interesting time capturing it.  You need to go nite-nite and so do I! (ha)

Take Care,
~Bilinda~

Anonymous said...

Aren't cardinals awesome??  I always have a pair hanging around in the backyard.

hugs,
Russ

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love those bird pics...especially love cardinals...especially one, my friend Valentino.

xo,
nancy

Anonymous said...

What an awesome picture ....I have never seen a woodpecker ....except for the cartoon one!!

Thanks for sharing this with us

Have a great weekend

Hugs

Mari

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

have a great Sunday :) stay warm you must be getting the storm we just had. snow ice and lots of cold

Deb

Anonymous said...

AOL hasn't been working for me much either.  To some I have had to write emails telling them I couldn't get in.  It was sad that I couldn't listen to some's carols also.  What a shame.  BTW, those are someof the prettiest birds I have ever seen!  We are in the same snow/ice storm down in PA down here.  Instead of snow like called for, we have started as an ice storm.  It is supposed to snow and ice until sunday night.  I am stuck at Hope Lodge at John's transplant Center until at least Tuesday sometime.  He is having a checkup and also seeing why his white cells have plummeted.  I hope we can get out of here.  Love,

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

You made a beautiful page out of those birds. They really show up good in all that snow. Glad that your Dad did got to go to the game. Helen

Anonymous said...

I have something freezing my laptop.  Thank God for my main computer!!  AOL is just being eaten up on my laptop. It wont let me navigate at all.  Igot on-line eventually but could only read my mail.  I answered it but have no way of knowing if they are getting to the recipients. Now my laptop just sits frozen.  Drat!
so if anything happens to my 'old faithful' I'm up the creek without a paddle.
Loved your tag and your recount of how you were able to shoot the photos.  I cold smell the smells you described on the cold air as you wrote.
Wonderfu to hear that your Dad got to the game especially as it was so important to his dear friend and family.
Good luck with answering your alerts.  Don't worry...folks will understand AOHell's shenanigans only too well!
Hugs
Jeanie xxx

Anonymous said...

i love woodpeckers.....what gorgeous shots you have there....i wish you had been with your dad to see the hometown star play.....glad that your dad got to go though. I hope you dont get huge amts of snow.
AOL is always the pits....i thank my lucky stars everyday when i can get online and SEE the journals. LOVE, lisa

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Donna
AOL was acting up like that for me, too last night.  It seems just fine this morning.  Great shots of the birds!  The colors do look vibrant with the white snowy background.  That was a great story about the local hockey star and the first game he played in the Sabre's stadium.  I'm glad your dad got to see it.
Sam

Anonymous said...

Oh Donna those pictures are great!  Your woodpecker is a Pileated woodpecker, the largest in the United States!  I love Pileated and there are some what tame, easy to approach!  Those are wonderful photos!  Linda

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are SUPERB Donna!!!  How nice to see those beautiful birds rigtt in your own backyard!

Have a good Sunday ~ Lois B

Anonymous said...

Great pictures.....I saw the Cardinals up close, when we visited my Penfriend...I've never seen so many beautiful coloured Birds, that came to her Garden. There was also a shop called 'Cardinals Corner' (lol)You paint a beautiful 'Picture'.
Thanks for my new 'Tag'
Hugs
Aileen.....X
http://journals.aol.co.uk/haileen2003/wishing-and-hoping

Anonymous said...

nice pic of the cardinal and pilated woodpecker.
I love your graphics. I've been nursing my leg in PT
and slow around here with it with my christmas doings.
I have not forgotten you and your family by any means.
love you, <-:P

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the images of those beautiful birds, Donna.
I wish AOL would not try to fix what isn't broken...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scenery!  Thanks so much for sharing, Donna!  Happy Sunday!  Hugs, Carla

Anonymous said...

love your photos!  i don't envy you your winters.  stay warm.
gina

Anonymous said...

 I have had trouble opening some journals also.  Love the bright bird pictures.

                   Julie

Anonymous said...

I heard that Buffalo got hammered with snow.  I can't believe all the birds around.  We have woods in the back but I never even see a cardinal.  We have a woodpecker there all summer.  I'm not sure where it disappears to in the winter.  Lovely display, D!  Love ya, Chris

Anonymous said...

OH MY...how I loved your pictures.  A couple of years ago I was forced to sell my house and move into an apt. (too much upkeep for an older lady alone).  I had multiple bird feeders at the house and always had cardinals and a family of woodpeckers (among other birds).  Your pictures brought back so many delightful memories.  Thanks for sharing them.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Mother nature blessed you today ,with the wonderful visitors to your garden ,and thankyou for sharing this lovely collage with us so that we could see too  ,Iam so pleased you Dad was able to watch the game ,...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures....especially the cardinal...we are actually getting some white stuff, but it doesn't count as snow or sleet...more like ice? Maybe, just maybe we will see some today they are giving it, but where we are located it always goes under or below us.

Really cool on the local boy....I would have been in tears I am sure. I have been to a Blackhawks game..great time-right on the ice, no better seat right?

Michele

Anonymous said...

I LOVE those pics of the birds!  Linda

Anonymous said...

yea and aol made me think you didnt luv me any more :(

Anonymous said...

The pictures are so beautiful!  Thanks for sharing.  

XOXO,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

That looks like a Pileated Woodpecker, but I could be wrong ... bird watchers?  Love the pictures D!  They perked up a perfectly snowy day.  While I was out shoveling the chickadees were yacking at me ... I'm pretty sure they wanted me to feed them before the winds picked up AGAIN.  lol.  They are all fat and happy now.

Glad your dad was able to get to the game.  That is such a very special outing.

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures wish I was there playing in the snow.

Sunny

Anonymous said...

You still have bird up there?  Wonderful pics!
Hugs,
D

Anonymous said...

The birds are beautiful! I had my hubby & girls come in to see. The girls have always wanted to see a cardinal. ;-)
- Jessica

Anonymous said...

The pictures are beautiful!
Missie

Anonymous said...

Donna what a beautiful tag you made from the adorabe pictures, the colours are beautiful. My daughter astounded me last Saturday to tell me she had seen a woodpecker in our garden......first question i asked was did you get a picture.... answer was no  :o(         Not what i would expect to see in the middle of London.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Glad to hear that your dad managed to get to the game and also that your boys won ...... yayyyyyy.

Stay warm and hope the weather soon subsides

Hugs Jayne

Anonymous said...

Yep been acting crazy on me too!  Check out the wood pecker..how cool!  Wishing you a great week!  Hugs,TerrAnn

Anonymous said...

Great pics Donna!
Thanks for sharing...
We got a little snow sat. night/sunday morning
but it didn't last long...

Hugs
Terri

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely tag & beautiful pictures.  Sunday I saw a woodpecker, looked just like this one.  Have cardinals everywhere in my backyard.  Its crazy we live so far apart & have the same birds in our yards.  What type of camera do you have??  Your pictures are always so nice.  I am guessing it is digital because you make the tags the same day.  My zoom isn't that great, that is why I ask.  Talk to you later sweetie!!

Hugs,
Veronica

Anonymous said...

h