Thursday, December 27, 2007

~ Guess........... ~

DsDesignsHappyNewYear.gif picture by 55hockeyfan


.......... what I did today.  'Cmon, guess.  It's Thursday, I'm off all week.  What do you suppose I did?  Did you guess?  LMAO  Ok, well that was a bit lame.  You'd never know as I haven't even given the news yet. 

 

I went to David's Bridal to look for a wedding gown and bridesmaid dresses.  Now, before you eww and ahhh, pass out, lose your breath, or fall off your chair.  It wasn't for me.  :)~   My niece is getting married in October.  She got engaged this past October.  I am so excited and happy for her. 

 

So why did I wait so long to say anything?   Not really sure, other then most attention was on her Mom.   She had a trip planned with her boyfriend when her Mom first got sick and put in the hospital with pneumonia.  She had purchased tickets to the Michigan game for his birthday back in July.  The timing sucked, but at the time we thought her Mom would bounce back and all insisted she go.  The engagement part wasn't really part of the plan and to be honest I didn't even know about it.  Her boyfriend had the ring and already asked her Dad's permission.  It just happened while they were there.  It was a perfect time and setting. 

 

My sister was thrilled.  As she told me the news, her eyes were wide with excitement.  Little did we know at the time.......   she never did bounce back but knowing her daughter was happy, in love, and had a great guy by her side had to put her at ease just a bit.   I ached for my sister.  I can't imagine not being here to see your children marry, to see your grand children.  To love and hold......... and knowing you won't be.  I ache for my nieces... it sucks that their Mom isn't here to help them plan, giggle over silly things. 

 

I promised my sister I'd be there for them and I will be.  Not that she needed to ask, or that I needed to promise.  It is a given.  We are all there for them, any time night or day.   So on Christmas Eve she told me she was going with her sister.  She was thrilled that I would go.  'Was there a doubt?'  we both smiled with tears in our eyes.   We met up at noon for lunch.  My other sister was in the area with work so she joined us.  It was a wonderful time.  Perfect setting and nice to laugh and plan.   When lunch was over my sister left and the girls and I walked to the store a few shops down the strip plaza.  It was overwhelming when we walked in.  So many dresses.  She had an idea of what she wanted.  No kidding.   What girl doesn't dream about her wedding day.  What she will wear, the flowers, the food. 

 

We looked at bridesmaid dresses first.  Her sister is in the wedding and did the modeling.  OMG!  Can I just say she was beautiful in each and every one she put on.  They decided on a tea length dress that actually is two pieces.  Espresso, and perfect for a fall wedding.  Once that was settled, we moved to the brides dresses.  She had 4 picked out to try on.  The first was stunning.  We called it the mermaid dress.  It made her look as thin as a bean poll, something she did not need help with.  She stood and looked at herself, and she seemed to be pleased.  It wasn't her first choice, and I asked, 'can you walk?  can you dance?'  She smiled and said it was daring but definitely not her.  The second one.  OMG!!  That was it.  I think we all knew it as she walked out of the dressing room.  She did a few spins, and we added a veil.  No description my friends, just in case.  I don't want to be the Aunt that gave away the secrets.  She did try on the others, and then went back to the second.  I think it's a done deal.  She didn't pay for it, but will think on it a few days and make sure that is what she wants.  I am 100% convinced it will be. 

 

As we packed up our belongings we noticed it was almost 5.  WoW!!  Time flies when you're having fun.  It was a wonderful day and I am honored to be part of this step in her planning.  I, of course, can no way replace her Mom nor would I try.  I just want to be there for her.   We all do.  This a beautiful occasion and we want it to be as perfect for her as we can possibly make it. 

 

The rest of the day was basically a let down.... this, and that, and hockey.......... yeap I'm watching Calgary play Vancouver.  Can you say sucker?  LOL   Hope everyone had a great day.

 

Hugs

~d

 

 


Tags:

46 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow sounds like you had a great day ...what a wonderful aunt you are!!

Enjoy your hockey game ...he shoots ...he scoresssssssssssss

Anonymous said...

Hey. Congrats to your neice. It sounds like she is going to have a beautiful wedding. I dream of having one of those lol. I got married when I was 16 in a court house...ugh! We are no longer together but maybe one day I will have my dream wedding. Again, congrats to her! -Missy

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful day.  your nieces are very blessed to have you in their lives.  :)
gina

Anonymous said...

Wedding dresses! Yuk!  LOL  Can't think of anything I'd rather do LESS than go somewhere like that?  Was there a tuxedo shop near by?
;)

Anonymous said...

How rare is that to find the right dresses in one day! I wish you were my auntie! =.)

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,

I like your graphic at the top, very nice!  It sounds like you had a wonderful day with your niece and family.  How exciting, to help her with such an important time in her life.  I'm sure it will be a beautiful wedding and can't wait to hear all about it as plans are made and eventually see the pics you will post.

Take Care,
~Bilinda~

Anonymous said...

Sound like you had a great day with your nieces. Glad you were there for her.

Hugs

Sunny

Anonymous said...

Wow that was sooo quick! You didn't have any nightmares! (Knocking on wood!) That sounds like soooo much fun!

Anonymous said...

Donna, how nice you helped your niece pick out a dress, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

what great FUN...to plan a wedding and just play around with ideas and spend the day with family - so glad that you were there (not that I would ever doubt that) but I just know the whole thing will be a grand experience and so much to look at, and decided and have fun with....take pics all the way through....even at the lunch and everything ....she will so cherish those moments....
sounds like the perfect way to spend a day!!!!!!!
take care
Peace--Ellie

Anonymous said...

You have such a neat family.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet. :o)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news congratulations to your niece, I hope she will be very happy.
Debbie
xxx

Anonymous said...

It's so special that you can do all the mother-of-the-bride stuff for your neice.  I'm sure it means a lot to her!

xxxx
Russ

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your neice and her fiance. How wonderful for you all.  Something to look forward to. I hope they will be very happy.
Carolxx

Anonymous said...

Hi D,
So happy you went to choose wedding dresses with your Niece, that's what Aunties are for..Lol !!! Second Mums..
I, like you, have no Daughter, so I really loved picking out wedding dresses with my D I L.
I bet you felt so proud to be there too D.
Im sure her Mum was there with you smiling at how beautiful she looks.
Im so happy for you all.
Congratulations on your wonderful news.
Love you always sweetie.
x  x  x

Anonymous said...

Donna
What a great time you had with your nieces!  I'm so glad you were able to go with them to help choose the dresses.  This is the type of day you will remember forever, and so will the girls.  Best wishes to your niece!  Oh, who won the game?
Sam

Anonymous said...

Congrats go out to your niece, Donna. I love weddings. Always get so sentimental at them, too.  As for that hockey game that Sam was asking about - yeah, I watched it. Vancouver won, 5-3. Yeah, baby!
Always, Rose~*

Anonymous said...

I thought you were getting married!  Had me fooled there for a minute, LOL.  But you would have had to meet somebody pretty darn fast!  Anyway, I love tea length dresses.  What color are they?  I know, you can't give the secret away!

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Can i pls have this with val on it

thank you so very much

Anonymous said...

Awwww... Donna that is so wonderful that you will be there for your niece. Your family sounds just like mine there is no need to even ask everyone is there for your regardless. She knows you're not trying to be her Mom, but she also knows that as you are the sister you will probably say exactly the same things her Mom would have said if she was there. I'm sure her spirit was there watching every minute. Glad you all had such a nice time.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here crying just reading this entry.  How wonderful that you are there with her, how sad that her mom isn't.  You are a wonderful aunt!  Linda

Anonymous said...

So awesome that you were there for her.  It really does suck that your sis won't be there in person for all of your neices events.  She will be there though.
Traci

Anonymous said...

I bet your niece loved having you there with her!
Missie

Anonymous said...

This does not surprise me that you will be there and helped your neice pick out the wedding gown...you are awesome.  I know 2008 will be a good year for all of us.  Sorry, I have not been around...trying to catch up a little now and later today too.  Hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

That was so good of you to help D, your Sis would be so pleased with you.
Happy New Year My dear friend.
Gaz xxxx

Anonymous said...

A wedding to look forward too, how fun.

                 Julie

Anonymous said...

What an excitment. Thanks for sharing the great news. Hugs, Maria

Anonymous said...

Espresso...that's definitely the 'in' color this year.  I think it's beautiful.  
I was going to have an October wedding with all the autumnal colors too.  They're my favorite.  Instead, I got married in a courthouse, 4 months pregnant with my second child.  LMAO

I'd always dreamed of my wedding, but the truth is...I was just as happy getting married in the courthouse.  

Can't wait to see pictures of the wedding dress.  I bet it was a stunner!  
And D, I think it's great that you're able and willing to be there for your nieces when they need you.  You're a great aunt, it's obvious.  

XOXO,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

How exciting!  I am so happy she has you!

LORI

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the photo's. keep up the good work you strong lady. well done. xx

Anonymous said...

No, you can't replace her Mom, but I'm sure she is glad you are there for her. I'm glad you get to be involved in this..It"s so exciting. Sounds like you had a great day.
Take Care,
Sheri

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that your sister could not be here in person to see her daughter get married...but she will be watching from heaven..hugs, TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

the day sounds magical to me......how exciting it would be to be around all those beautiful dresses plus get that special time with your niece.
Love,lisa

Anonymous said...

I love weddings!  That sounds so very nice.

Allison

Anonymous said...

what an amazing day you had!  and I have been to David's several times and I love that store.  such a selection.  I wish we had one when I was getting married.  
it sounds like such a nice time
take care and ENJOY this!!!
tina

Anonymous said...

How exciting...it is...I am glad you had an exciting day.....I wish you all the best D.....always.

Michele

Anonymous said...

Oh Yay! We get to watch this all unfold before our eyes through your journal....weddings are so fun and exciting!
Sounds like you girls had a fun filled day....you are a wonderful Aunt...Donna...this entry made me tear up(been doing that alot lately) cause I know in time we will go through this with my cousin Chelsey..(my aunt Judy's daughter)...my family is like yours as well, we are blessed...in knowing we are all there for one another...like you said it's a given.  I know your sister was looking down on you all beaming with pride...as her daughter chose a wedding gown and knowing you were there every step of the way....thanks for sharing this special moment with us.

Congrats to your niece on the engagement!!!!

I snagged the New Years graphic it is just awesome..thanks!
If you don't want me to....let me know..

Big Hugs!
Terri

Anonymous said...

Now that must be bittersweet for you and your neice.

Enjoy it though...your sister wanted it that way :)

Stacy

Anonymous said...

     Weddings are wonderful occassions. Your sister will appreciate your participation. Congrats to your niece.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

nice

Anonymous said...

h