Thursday, June 30, 2005

Jeremy Roenick

Jeremy, Jeremy, Jeremy, my dear boy I am not jealous of you or any other hockey player (any athlete to be exact) and I wouldn't get within 10 feet of your buttock!

Yes, I know JR has whined that he was taken out of context and the entire interview wasn't aired, only the negative parts.  His statements were strong as he was interviewed recently. 


"If people are going to sit and chastise pro athletes for being cocky, they need to look at one thing and that's the deal we're going to be signing in about three weeks,'' Roenick said. "Pro athletes are not cocky. Pro athletes care about the game. Everybody out there who calls us spoiled because we play a game, they can kiss my a**.''  


Like I said I wouldn't get within 10 feet of his buttock!  I love my hockey and the players, but they could have all worked harder to get this done a lot sooner.  Not just the players, but the owners too!  


"I will say personally, to everybody who calls us spoiled, you guys are just jealous," Roenick said.  


Jeremy my boy, I am not jealous of any athlete!  What I am jealous of is the fact that there are teams out there that have maybe 3-4 players who's combined salary matches or exceeds my entire teams payroll!  I am jealous of the fact that other sports have shot up on the charts leaving the NHL below what looks like freakin bowling.  Texas Hold 'Em out ranks hockey on ESPN???  'Cmon  Things needed to be fixed to bring back the game and it's glory.  Listening to players whine that they won't be making 11 million a year does sound a little spoiled doesn't it?  


"We're going to try to make it better for everybody, period, end of subject. And if you don't realize that, then don't come," Roenick said."We don't want you at the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, we don't want you to watch hockey," he said  


Yikes!  What can be said about that?  How can he even try to defend that.  Out of context?  How's that?  What could possibly make that acceptable?  JR, the game needed to be fixed and fans need to be brought back into the arenas after a year layoff.  How in the world does that help or fix anything?  


On to other things.... Has anyone noticed the magnitude of signings going on recently?  Coaches hired, GMs contracts renewed, proposed sales of teams.  Sounds to me like things are moving in the right direction!    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must agree that the guy has a mouth on him.  He will even admit that himself.  Just about two weeks ago he was a healthy scratch and he and his cocky adituted decided he wouldn't show at the game. He decided to watch the game at a bar down the street.  Well needless to say, he was a heathy scracth the next game as well.  

Over Christmas his daughter became ill and was hospitalized.  He missed a couple of games because of it.  When he came back he was again a healthy scracth.  This time he said that dealing with the illness of his daughter put things into perspective for him.  He said if the coach wants to scracth him that is fine. He said "I have a big mouth and I think I will start using it to be a cheerleader and leader for the team."  

I think he will always be cocky but who knows... maybe he will give the game some more respect now that "things have been put in perspective for him."