Saturday, June 18, 2005

A little more about the boys :)

Growing up in a large family and having only one TV was horrible, so when the basement got “finished off,” and a TV was added I was in my glory in the winter months!  Sitting there glued to the set watching the boys as they took on their opponents.  It was no secret I loved the game, and each year my Aunt would give me tickets to the open practice to be held the day after Christmas, similar to the All Star Skills competition of today.  Several of my friends and I would have a parent drop us off on their way to work.  We'd make our way in to ohhh and aaaah over the “cute” guys.  Comparing notes on plays, speed, agility, and of course looks.  In that day there was hardly a helmet to be seen.  Goalies wore the “Jason” type mask.  Most just white, and then the logos began to get popular.  Remember when Gerry Desjardins went from his plain white to the blue with the crossed sabres and charging Buffalo?  It was Jan of 1977, after the 9-2 Montreal pounding of the Sabres.  That same year Rick Martin was selected as the outstanding player in the 30th annual All Star Game.  He received a Dodge Charger and $700.00 what do the MVPs get this day?  The looks of Rick Dudley, current GM in Tampa, Afro, headband, and then long last the helmet.  I believe he stated during the transition that he was at a disadvantage.  Most fighters in the league had started wearing the helmets and all he was doing was rattling his fists off them.


 

No comments: