Tuesday, January 1, 2008

~ .5 Seconds ~

DsDesignsWinterClassic1.jpg picture by 55hockeyfan


That is all the time a goalie has to react.  If you saw the game you may have seen the commercial for AMP Power Drink.  Ryan Miller and Aubin from the LA Kings.  It's a take on Yo Momma jabs.  Each player has .5 seconds to react/respond.  The last jab Miller does is in Japanese (I think)  'Yo Momma is so ugly she makes an onion cry.'  Aubin is speechless, Miller raises his arms in victory.  I thought it was a hoot!  Couldn't find a clip as of yet, but I know it will be out there and soon. 


Unfortunately, that is not what happened on the ice.  The boys lost 2-1 in a shoot out.  The event was fun.  Being at my BIL's house with the girls was a treat.  Lots of laughs.  Very little cheering.  The weather at the 'Ralph' changed a bit.  Snow, rain, sleet, more snow.  Made for a Winter Classic.  What it didn't make for was a good hockey game.  Not sour grapes as it affected both teams.  The ice was covered in snow and it had a definite effect on the skating and how the puck was handled.  On more then one occasion you could see the 'skid' mark from the puck.  It was almost comical at points.  Guys falling, moving like they were in quick sand.  Really not the way I like my game, but it was fun none the less.

 

The league is hoping this event brought in more American fans.  I am not sure it succeeded.  If you're not from a hockey town, or really have no reason to get into it, I'm not sure it got tuned it.  Sure maybe to take a peek, but to sit and watch and try to learn?  I don't think so.  Time will tell.  None the less it was great for the area, and I'm proud of how the city pulled it off.  The troubles with the ice could not be helped, but all in all it was good.  Having 70,000 at an outdoor hockey game is a tribute to the area and the fans.   Here in Buffalo we always sing the Canadian National Anthem, and Ronan Tynan did his beautifulversion of 'God Bless America' as the fans sang along.  You may also have noticed, if you watched, that Ryan Miller was wearing a winter hat over his mask/helmet.  He is the founder of the Steadfast Foundation which is dedicated to serving children and families touched by cancer.  The hat was actually made of a hockey sock and is for sale.  All proceeds will go to the foundation.

 

Now... on to my game.  If you played by the rules you did at least 8 shots before the game even  started.  I stopped counting at that point.  Definitely a few beers were had as well.  So you missed the game as you were passed out on the floor.  And, OMG did they compare Crosby to Bobby Orr?   Holy shit they are stretching it.  Someone needs to be shot for that comment!  Wait 'til Grapes gets his hands on that.  There will be hell to pay.  LOL  Crosby is a great player and is brining life into the league, but he is an over paid player like the rest of them.  :)  There are other players that bring things to the game, and to the community.  So many media outlets are blinded by him they fail to see the rest.  ::sigh::  Yes, that is him in the graphic after scoring in the shootout to end the game. 

 

Hope everyone had a good New Year Day!

Hugs

~d

 

 
                        

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry your boys lost ....but sounds like it was a good game ...I always loved having shoot outs.

Enjoy the rest of your evening!!

Anonymous said...

I took a peak or two, but that was all.  Sounds like a good thing if it took that many shots right off the bat.  I'd be dead today.  Sorry your team lost but it sounds like you had fun anyway.  Enjoy your evening.
Huggies, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Good grief-6 votes and 100% No-sorry-I did read all your entry though....does that count for anything?
Have a good New Year
connie

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Donna, maybe I lied, (Ivoter yes) I only watched the bit they showed on our local news but I was impressed with packed stands and the snow comming down. They did a great job with the whole show.
Don't I recall an winter Olympics held in NY (can't remember the site name, but it was a two name thingy go ti it was Lake Placid, see I haven't lost it.) , years ago where they played hockey outdoors. It has to be about fifty years ago.
All I have been doing all day is recalling things in my life from thirty or fifty years ago . Is that a sign of things to come?
Guess I should be glad that I did not get to play the drinking game with you but I am not sure about that either, Bill

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I didn't see any of the game.  The tree came down, we lugged the storage boxes to the attic and then headed out to go COSMIC BOWLING.  A dinner at Chili's after ended our New Years Day.  Happy New Year!  

Sorry I missed the game, but since I would have been out cold on the floor, I guess it's okay!  lol

Anonymous said...

I never was much of a hockey fan, but because of your enthusiasm, I always throw my support to your Boys if they're playing. I have to say though, I don't think I would be too resistant to the chance to catch a game outdoors like that. Just maybe minus the shots...it'd take too long to find my body :)

Anonymous said...

i voted no i dont watch hockey

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry.  I didn't watch.  But I love you anyway! ;)

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear your team lost but it sounds like you enjoyed yourself nonetheless.
XO lj

Anonymous said...

The "Yo Mama" joke was great :) -Missy

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that your boys lost Donna......... sounded like a great game anyway

hugs Jayne

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,

I didn't watch the game, but did think of you and your boys and hoped they would win!

Take Care,
~Bilinda~

Anonymous said...

LOL...sure did watch the game.  I love the old Penguin shirts.  I have a royal blue one that was worn at home years ago when my ex and I had season tickets.  Of course, it fits Megan. Hmm...can't remember whose number is on it.  She loves hockey and has been wearing it for two years now to the games.  I have to laugh because no one in Pittsburgh now can remember the old blue shirts.  Now, of course, Megan has a couple of pictures with Sidney.  Anyway, it was histor today.  Glad Buffalo finally had cooperative weather.  Love ya, Chris

Anonymous said...

Donna, sorry your boys lost, hopefully next time they will win, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

I confess...I've never really understood hockey.  In fact, I'm not sure I've ever watched an entire game.  It's rather foreign to me.  

But, judging from how much love you have for the sport, it must be good!  

Sorry your team lost.  :(

XXOO,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

sorry your boys lost. couldn't watch the game. rebecca wouldn't let us. she was watching Peter Pan, lol. 3 times. (((((hugs))))))
Love,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

I'm so tired of bowl games and KU hasn't even played yet!  (yawn)

xxxx
Russ

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry your boys didn't win!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Sorry your boys didn't win but it's nice to hear you had a good time at your BIL's house with him and his girls. Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

NICE GRAPHIC ~D !!!!!!!!!!!!!! got the baby guin on there I see. Was like old school hockey. I watch them on tv but the last time I saw them in person was 32 years ago and they wore those powder blue jersey's. I'm a Black n Gold cheer my teams from the Burgh Girl
Happy New Year my Friend!

Anonymous said...

I watched parts of the game especiall the last period and overtime and the shootout.  It was absolutely amazing and enheartening to see so many people there and not anyone leaving.  I think it was great for hockey.  As for comparing Crosby to Bobby Orr, nope it Bobby was able to continue his career no way anyone would touch him.  In my eyes he is the best player ever no matter how could someone is.  

Anonymous said...

Hi hun :) Just wanted to wish u a good weekend dear :) Glad the game was good even though the boys lost :( Sorry about that hun. btu it still sounded pretty neat and u had fun :) Neat graphic u made too. I admit i didnt watch the game sorry, lol. I think i had a busy day if i remember right. Plus i admit i really dont watch hockey. But i will have to try and check it out sometime. Glad u had a good New years day. Take care hun and ttys!
xoxo, Leslie

Anonymous said...

I love the way you put photos of your guys together,...so sorry they didn't win...hope you have a lovely Thursday....and enjoy the upcoming weekend....and no, sorry...I didn't get to see the game.  Hugs and love to you,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Great graphic even if I haven't got a clue about hockey well on ice anyway lol.
Take care
Debbie
xxx