Sunday, October 14, 2007

~ Ohhhhh... What a Night ~

SabresGame10-13-07.jpg picture by 55hockeyfan


Where do I start?  The day flew by and before I knew it my niece and I were meeting up at a local restaurant for dinner.  I just want to clarify my niece is 21.  She is not a little kid... well in my eyes she always will be but she really isn't.   We had a quick bite to eat and headed to the hospital in two cars.  Plans had changed earlier in the day and we needed to drop the car off for her Dad, who stayed at the hospital the entire day with my sister.  She parked the car, jumped in mine, and we were on our way.  As we headed to the arena the anticipation built as we passed fan upon fan walking.  Jersey's and cheers all the way.  We parked and got to our seats in time for the National Anthem.  Nothing like cutting it close.  Buffalo is one of the few arena's that play both the American and Canadian anthem for every game.  As the American anthem started and I lifted my eyes to the American flag and began to sing along,  the tears welled up.  They always do.  When it was over the crowd erupted in cheers and the players made their way to center ice for the first drop of the puck. 

 

I was a bit crazy with the camera and got several good shots.  The game is fast so I wasn't too successful in action shots, and I was shooting through glass.  On occasion you will see scratches and scuffs.  Nothing I could do about it.  I decided to do a little video of my pictures and add sound.  The audio is from a couple years ago so the names don't always match with the pictures, but it works.  LOL  Sabre fans will know :)  No sense in boring non fans with who is who..................

 

        

 

We were four rows from the ice and had a great view of our goalie, Ryan Miller in net.  The boys came out flying and a good portion of the play was at the other end of the rink.  Shot after shot, aggressive around the boards not allowing Washington out of their zone.  We just couldn't get the puck in the basket.  Washington's second shot of the game, over 11 minutes into the game beat Miller.  Washington up 1-0.  Damn!   Though you love to see the play in the opposing zone it can back fire.  Miller not being involved in the game did not allow him to get in a groove.  Ok, it's one goal and lots of time left.   The Washington fans sitting behind us got a little cocky and prematurely celebrated a win getting in the faces of all us Buffalo fans.   Period ends Buffalo out shooting Washington 13-4, but down 1 goal.  The boys get a cheer loud enough to raise the roof. 

 

The second period starts and now the boys are shooting at the end we are sitting.  Fabulous!  Watching the play develop, seeing how fast the boys pass the puck.  Moving side to side, grinding deep behind the net to keep the puck down there.  Giving themselves a chance to tie it up.  Not letting the puck come out of the zone.  It took some time, but about 13 minutes into the period a Washington player goes off on a penalty.  Not a minute later Spacek takes a slap shot from the blue line and beats the goalie!  The crowd erupts.  Spacek was brought to Buffalo for just that reason, but last year he was bust.  He scored a total of 6 goals all season.  So far this year, he's at 4 goals.  Yeah baby!  Score tied.  The players head to center ice to drop the puck.  The puck gets picked up by Buffalo and back into the zone.  My Maxie has the puck, some razzle dazzle and the puck is in the net.  Nineteen seconds and the boys score again, score Buffalo 2-1.  They never looked back!  A little over two minutes later Hecht makes a pass to Jason Pominville and in the net it goes.  The population of Pominville increases by 1.  'What the Hecht, are you Jochen?'   I think I heard the fans from Washington mutter.  LOL  Score now 3-1.  Another two minutes and Adam Mair gets an ugly goal as he battles in front of the net.  Ugly?  Who cares, it went in and we are winning 4-1.  Ohhhhh I wanted to get in the faces of those Washington fans, but to be honest seeing the look of total dejection was enough.  Second period ends and the boys out shot Washington 24-6 and now also lead on the scoreboard 4-1.

 

Third period starts and boys are sitting pretty.  They still control the play and most is now down at the other end again.  The Craps get a break out pass and in they come.  Miller, hesitates coming out for the puck and that split second made all the difference.  Green, from Washington, grabs the puck and slaps into the net behind a sprawling Miller.  The boys do not miss a beat, two minutes later Derek Roy scores to get the boys up by 3 again.  A few minutes later we get called for a penalty and Ovechkin gets his goal for the night.  Pretty play and Miller had no chance.  No worries, Derek Roy will have nothing to do with that.  Less then a minute goes by and he comes back and tips in a Brian Campbell shot and the score is 6-3.  Spacek scores four minutes later for good measure.  Washington had 16 shots that period, trying to make a run, but so did we.  Final buzzer goes and we win 7-3. 

 

The three stars of the game?  Ohhhhhhhh I'll let you see and hear the live version.   MY Maaaaaaaaaaxie is number 3.  Way to go boys.  Division rival, Toronto, on Monday.   Let's Go Buffalo!!!

 
             

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you had a great time at the game .....I was excited just reading your journal ....cannot imagine what it was like being at the game!!

Prayer being said for your sister.

Hugs

Mari

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))))Glad you both enjoyed the game.Have a  ice day.

Anonymous said...

Donna, glad you had fun at the game, enjoy your Sunday, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm not a hockey fan, but even I got excited reading this and watching your videos!  I'm so glad you had such a fantastic time!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I still say and probably always will....you are a GREAT announcer, it is like being there....

:)

Michele

Anonymous said...

Donna, no complaints about that game. Glad it was fun for you, Bill

Anonymous said...

Sounds good, i been to a basketball game before i was so bored.

Anonymous said...

Video's were great, loved the music, loved the fact you had a great time!
Have a wonderful week...hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

woohooooooo so happy your boys won and you had a great time. have a great day. (((((((hugs)))))))
Love,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Wow, I need to go to a match. Wanna take me?
Gaz ;-)

Anonymous said...

I thought you'd never post today!  But now I know why.  Those pictures and videos take time.  LOL

Reads like I was at the game.  Thanks!  So glad you had a great time.  :)

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

the pics and video were great---I loved it.....so glad you had fun at the game---4 from the ice are some pretty great seats....
thanks for sharing it all!!!
Ellie

Anonymous said...

Good Grief Girl-you should be a sports commentator.I don't like sports and I was rivited reading this.....
Congrats on the WIN!!!
~c~

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good time at the game.  Enjoyed all your shots and video.  Have a good week Donna! : )

Allison

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

you make videos as well as you make graphics...loved the song and the pics..awesome pics. So glad you went and had a good time.
love you
lj

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the win!     Bethe

Anonymous said...

I'm not a hockey fan, but you make it sound pretty thrilling!  Glad you had fun.

hugs,
Russ

Anonymous said...

I reckon Donna this is a better commentary than we would get on any match here in the UK LOL!! Well done loved the video.I cry too when I hear both your National Anthem and Our own.Makes me think of Son so many miles away in USA.Great posting.Glad your Buffalo's won Yehhhhhh!!!Take Care God Bless Kath
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Glad you got to go see a game!  Linda

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news to hear that your 'Boys' Won!   I so enjoyed the build up and atmosphere which you worked so hard at creating for your reader's.  It was expertly done Donna and I really anjoyed it. Thanks too for the pleasure and enjoyment you shared with me.   YOu are 'MAGIC!' when you describe everything so wonderfully well.
It should be your number one job.  Sports Editor in the newspapers.
I enjoyed the videos and the music too.
Great Stuff!

Hugs
Jeanie


Anonymous said...

Hey sweety :) I tell yah first of all, soo glad u got to go the game with ur niece. It sounded like u all had a blast. 2nd loved the videos. Its soo fun to watch things like that. I love taking movies. I have taken some of the baseball games we have been to here. 3rd soo glad ur bys won. Thats great u had a nice night out hun. U are soo good in explaining and u have such enthuasium for the boys and the game. I love it u should be a sports writer or announcer or something, lol. Ty for sharing that with us hun. I saw the other entry below too. Im so sorry still that ur sis is in so much pain. Im glad they still have her some meds and it seems ot help a bit. Its a bummer u all arent sure when she can go home. Hopefully soon enough u will will find out. I wil be heading my way to light a candle for her. Always keeping her in my prayers. Take care hun. Have a good day, ttys :)
xoxo, Leslie

Anonymous said...

Great job...happy to hear you had a terrific night!  
Lisa

Anonymous said...

darn...my video player wouldnt work, but from your description, I felt like I was sitting there in anticipation with you! So glad they won and that you got out and had some fun and got to share it with your neice. Re lit the candle for your sister, and hope she is doing better.
 Alright, now , Im all geared up to go to a hockey game!

Anonymous said...

Donna, hi!  We use to live in Toronto and went to several of their hockey games :)  Haven't seen much since!  I really like hockey ~ we should go to more games, but since we're living in Germany at the moment (U.S. Expats here on business), hockey will need to wait :)  I'll enjoy it through your eyes and comments!  I'm originally from SC; we split our time between SC and Georgia when in the States.  I have a daughter who lives in Larchmont, NY :)

Donna, I'm relatively new to your journal, and haven't seen it mentioned yet, but would you please mention your sister's name.  I light candles for her and prayer for her, but would love to pray for her by name :)  Thanks, and I hope she's having good moments during this trial of her life!  Hugs, Carla

Anonymous said...

Don't know if i am coming or going at the moment....... don't think i have commented already ..... if i have ignore this... ;o((

Glad to hear that you had a great time and that they won.............. they done better than our boys   :o((

hugs Jayne

Anonymous said...

i lov this entry maybe u could help me wit mine <3