Thursday, October 4, 2007

~ Twenty Two and Counting ~

DsDesignsMyBoys.gif picture by 55hockeyfan


Yeap, less then 24 hours and my boys begin the '07-'08 season.  I've been watching other teams play the last couple of days and let me say I think I drooled.  Not over the guys on the ice, but in anticipation that my boys will be playing soon.  The off season was waaaaaaaaay to long.  Well, maybe not for you, but for me it was!   After finishing number 1 in the league last year there is lots of speculation by the sports writers of the world.  They are thinking we won't even make the playoffs, and if we do it will be a long shot and by the skin of our teeth.  Sure we lost 2 guys, very important guys, but that is an insult to the players still here.  They have grown and matured and I have faith they will still lay it on the line for each other.  I've seen guys step up in the preseason and I can't imagine they won't when it counts.  It is, remember, a TEAM sport.  We open the season playing the NY Islanders.  We played them in the first round of the playoffs last year.  We won the series 4 games -1.  They too have lost players.  More then 2 of them.  We'll see how it goes on the ice.  Humor me and take a guess on whether we win or not.  Paalease?  :::grin:::

                           


Today was a great day.  After work I met up with my son and his girlfriend for dinner.  He had called earlier in the week and it was a 'go' today.  We went to Applebee's and it was great.  The food was good, but it was wonderful spending time with them.  It's been way to long and I miss them.   I miss him.  Even when he was in the old apartment with the other guys I would see him a couple times a week.  Either he needed to do laundry or he needed to get away from them.  Down time if you will.  Now he's happy, very happy and has laundry facilities there.  I'm very happy for both of them, but I miss him.  Talking on the phone is not the same.  For those of you that have your children far away I feel for you.  I do.  He's not too far, but our schedules are the opposite so it is rare we are both available at the same time.  I can't imagine if he was hours away. 

 

I talked to my brother in law today, and my sister is 'so so'.  His exact words.  They extended the antibiotics for another 7 days and she goes back to the Dr a week from tomorrow.  Three weeks, at least, without treatments.  I hope things do get better so she can get back on track.  I am leaving work early tomorrow.  I have a surplus of those 2 hour passes I told you about previously and I decided I will use one tomorrow.  I may just take a ride over and visit with her for a bit.  Trying to think of something good to take her.  Any suggestions? 

 

I'm off to try and catch up on alerts.  It seems JLand was extremely busy today. 

 

Hugs

~d


27 comments:

Anonymous said...

One time when my mom was ill,I stopped at a gift shop and found a really nice kaliediscope with a wooden case.It was the perfect gift,it brought tears to her eyes seems she had one simular when she was a child..............

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Donna, glad you had a good day, continuing to keep your sister in my prayers, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

Any thing your sister particularly enjoyed eating as a child or when she was younger?  My brother, who is terminally ill,  seems to be craving things that he had enjoyed as a teenager.  Unfortunately, many of the recipes disappeared with Mom's death in the late 50's--but I am doing my best to come up with something similar in taste.  Know just your visit will add to her day, and put her in a better frame of mind.  So glad you are going to spend your 2 hours off work with her.  Hugs, LaVern

Anonymous said...

First, the Sabres are going to kick some ... icebutt!  

Bring yourself to your sister.  That's really all she needs.  Praying every day for her.

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna, I'm not sure if you are talking about a gift, food, or something special and personal. My SIL took care of her best friend who had cancer as her family lived many miles away and were unable to do so. We were talking one day and she told me that she would get nice smelling lotions and massage her friend and her friend loved it. After this conversation I looked on my lil sis shelf where she kept all her girlie smell good stuff. There on her shelf was her lotion in the brand of perfume she loved. I told my lil sis her skin looked like it was drying out some and asked her if she would like for me to rub some of her lotion on her, she smiled and said yes. All the time I was doing it she was so excited and telling me how good it felt. It warmed my heart to know I could do something so special  and personal for her and she would always give me that loving smile and thank me. She told me one day that she liked the way cornhuskers lotion felt, I had some here at home and took it there and rubbed her down with it , she was in heaven, as she said it helped her to rest better.
Just an idea...I'm sure whatever you choose to do it will make your sis happy just knowing you are there for her.
Hugs
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Heading over to Detorit to see how OUR boys are contending! I think yours have a head start - hoping they continue to bring it on! I am enjoying this season. Take care and have a happy, go lucky kinda Friday! Hoping nothing but the best for you and yours always,
Katie

Anonymous said...

Good luck on opening game ...I voted that your team was going to win!!  Maybe a nice creamy milkshake would taste good to your sister ....keeping her in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs

Mari

Anonymous said...

Sending many good vibes to your sister....and a few to your boys on ice.  :)

hugs,
Russ

Anonymous said...

So sorry that your sis isn't feeling so great, lately. I love bringing muffins over to friends, so how does chocolate chunk muffins sound? Still doing a lot of yard clean-up from the tree disaster, so I cheated and asked hubby about your poll. He thinks it will either be a tie game, or your Boys will win by 1 point. Sounds fair enough for me. (((Hugs)))

Anonymous said...

What about a milkshake and a doughnut to take to your sister?   <smile>
Seriously....

I truly hope the antibiotics kick in soon  for your sister Donna.  I had to go into hospital to have some in the middle of my chemo.  I missed one of my treatments and it was never added on at the end as it would have interfered with the timing of my radiotherapy.  I hope your sister gets the full quota once she is given the 'all clear'.  Please God that she can get back on track.
Both my son and daughter live a good distance away from me and it can get lonely without them as there is only Bryan and me at home.  Still we have the car to go visit with them and 'top up' on our love an cuddles when they can all be at home together.  That's the problem in this modern age...fitting things in around timetables.
Take care..

Hugs
Jeanie xx

Anonymous said...

I lit another candle for your sister.  Good luck to your boys tomorrow!  I'm glad you had a nice dinner with your son.  I hope you have a nice visit with your sister tomorrow...I know nothing about the medications she is on but take her chocolate??  Take care!!


Hugs,
Veronica

Anonymous said...

Donna
Good luck to the boys in the season.  I hope you have a good visit with your sister and that she is feeling better today.
Sam

Anonymous said...

Donna
Good luck to the boys in their first game this season.  I hope you have a good visit with your sister and that she is feeling better today.
Sam

Anonymous said...

Good luck to your boys,how lovely to spend time with Steven and his young lady ,give your sister my love I continue to pray for her ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

my kid is coming home today after 5 wks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG, i cant wait. So, i totally know how you feel about not seeing your son. So glad you got to go to dinner with him....i hope your Sabres win all games and make my D happy!
love,lisa jo

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

 Hope they win all the games and hope your sister feels better soon.

               Julie

Anonymous said...

Glad you got to see your son and have dinner with him....Keeping your sister in my prayers, and lighting a candle for her as well... I know she will enjoy your visit.

Have a good weekend Donna

Hugs,
Terri

Anonymous said...

PRAYERS FOR A WINNING SEASON ALL THE WAY AROUND......WILL KEEP YOUR SISTER IN MY PRAYERS........GREAT TAG! CAROLINA

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I never really card for hockey, but find myself waiting for your next entry :-)

Suggestion for Sis; warm soup and a new pillow to cuddle with.

My son and I have a 'date' for Sunday to see a movie. <smile>  
My daughter is in Chicago, and so is my heart.  She has no idea and I try not to bring it up too often how much I miss her.

~Bethe    

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))Have a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

It's a shame your not excited about hockey season.  :)  
Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/wwfbison/life-on-a-bison-farm

Anonymous said...

Love the "MY BOYS" animation!!!  I got to learn how to do that in ImageReady!
Ü
Marie

Anonymous said...

My Mum told me she felt the same when I left home and then my brother. She said ' All I have is your father now and that aint much!' LOLOL
Hugs, Gaz xxx

Anonymous said...

OMG D........ I can so sympathise with you about your son....... My daughter decided to pop over to Ireland to visit her MIL with my grandson...... Oh boy did i cry .....yep this 5'10" grown woman was in pieces.....lol....but i generally see then 2-3 times a week and this was the first time that he had flown ( he is 26 months old ) and has the terrible two's ....lol....so i was panicing about him flying..... but they got there ok and are due back Tuesday evening..... by the grace of God.

I am glad that you had a great time with your family.

Off to light a candle for your sis :o)

Hugs Jayne