Wednesday, March 26, 2008

~ Meltdown ~

Meltdown3-25-08.jpg picture by 55hockeyfan


:::sigh:::  You'd think by Jochen Hecht's posture the picture was taken after the game, but it wasn't.  It was pre-game warm-up.  I should have known!!  My nephew and I got to the arena last night and there was an excitement in the air.  Nervous excitement.  With only a few games left the boys needed a win to climb back into the hunt for the playoffs.   Our seats were right behind the goal and the netting hanging from ceiling to glass to protect the fans was a hindrance for picture taking.  I knew that, I've sat here before.  I took my camera anyway.  With each other game I attended I had the handy camera and we won.  How could I break that routine?  I took pictures in pre-game when I was able to move from my seat.  I took the opening face-off, netting and all.  Then I took some shots of Ryan Miller when he was at our end of the rink. 

 

The first period ended with Ottawa up 1-0.  The boys played hard and Miller kept them in the game.   With only a few minutes left in the second period Derek Roy opened the scoring with a goal of his own to tie the game.  Whuuuu Huuu the crowd went nuts.  We are still in it.  There is hope, faith....  the third period started and less then 3 minutes in Roy scores again.  I thought the roof would blow off the arena.  Before folks could get comfy in their seats Pominville scores and gives the boys a 3-1 lead.   They played hard for a bit then all of a sudden it happened.  They went into a shell.  They lost momentum.  They weren't going for the jugular, but rather sat back and tried to protect the lead.  Mistake number 1!!   Mistake number 2 came with about 8 minutes left in the game.  We are on the power play.  A miss read, a crappy pass, all the guys in the offensive zone the Senators get the puck.  They rush down the ice and wham, the score is 3-2.  The rest seems to be a blur.  The boys stopped trying, they imploded, a complete meltdown.  I've heard the word fragile and last night was a perfect example.  They lost momentum and couldn't get it back.  They stopped believing even though the fans cheered them on.  Two minutes later the score is tied, 4 minutes later they are losing.  It was horrible.  I've never seen such a thing.  In 8 minutes Ottawa scored 5 unanswered goals and when the buzzer went the boys lost 6-3. 

 

I didn't expect the boys to finish first in the league, I didn't even figure they'd finish first in the division, and I sure as hell didn't figure this.  With 6 games left we are on the outside looking in and all looks dismal here.  A bleak time.   Being the realist I am I can't fathom them climbing in.  There is something missing.  It's been missing since spring last season.  I won't for one minute give into the belief that is the fact that some players are missing.  Sure it didn't help not having them, but it didn't help having them either.  A change needed?  I don't know.  We have one of the youngest teams by age, but not by experience.  Did it catch up to them?   Did long back to back seasons?   Having our goalie play over 75 games cause him to have a mental break downs?  Injuries?  Leadership?  Management? The list goes on.  I will cheer my boys until the day I die, but last night was a sad night.  Giving into the idea that my boys will be playing golf instead of hockey come April was a kick in the teeth.   GRRRRR

 

This morning I woke up with a bit of an ache, but I will live.  It's a game right?   I got several emails, cards, and comments wishing me a Happy Birthday... Thank you!!  I had several calls and lots of little things at work.  We celebrated this morning with carrot cake.  YUM!  My boss bought two.  One for work one for home.  How cool is that?  Had a great lunch and my sister treated me to dinner.  S'getti Parm.  Ohhhhhhhh the calories... but it was great and I am stuffed!   More cards, more emails, more calls.  It was awesome.   I will admit it felt so weirdnot getting the call my sister.  A good part of the day I kept expecting the call.  She always called.  She never forgot.  Not long ago my phone rang again and I thought 'there she is'  How selfish is that?  ::wiping tear::  I wish this ache would go away......

 

All in all my day was great.  My son is working so we will do something another night.  Again, thank you for all the good wishes they are so appreciated. 

 

Hugs

~d

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, love!  

XOXO,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you got to go see the boys in person and i am smiling knowing you have had a good birthday!! Good for you, you SO deserve that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sending a huge hug for you....your sister is watching down on you......love you SO!
lj

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry bout the game Donna, but hope your birthday was special none the less.  It must be hard w/o your sis hon, but you know she's there with you today, this birthday you just couldn't be with her in person sweetie.  Happy Birthday to the best tag maker ever!!
Birtdhay smooches,
Darlene :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Donna.
I'm happy to read you had a nice day.
Mmmm... carrot cake?  My favourite!

Leigh :-)
http://journals.aol.co.uk/edwardssoapy/LeighsWorld/"

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  I can't believe your Boss was so thoughful.  sounds like a great day and I am sure your angel sister is ringing a bell for you : )

hugs,  Bethe

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Helen

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Donna!!!!!

Tawnya

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your boys ...you are a hard core and loyal fan Donna.

Glad to hear you had a nice birthday .....are you 29 year old like I am?

Hugs

Mari

Anonymous said...

Well, you can join me and my Uncle Phil in rooting for the Ducks this year!  : )  Have a happy tomorrow Donna!

Allison

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!  The carrot cake sounds yummy!
Missie

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your boys....they are so lucky to have a loyal fan like you!! That is the same way with my Mother & The Detroit Tigers :)
I'm glad your birthday was so special....your boss sounds like a love, how nice of him to bring those cakes for you!!! I'm happy you got to have dinner with your sister, but my heart breaks for you that Pat couldn't call you today. It's not selfish Donna, don't ever think that. She was a huge part of your life and going on without her is harder than anyone could have even imagined. If I could replace the ache with smiles to make you feel better, I would. It will come though, when you are ready....don't let anyone ever tell you to rush it, when it's the right time for you, it will happen. Until then, take it one day at a time....you have my prayers, as always.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Donna, sorry about your boys, Glad you had a good birthday, you deserve the best always !!!!!!!!!!!!! Love and Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Donna.  I wish your boys would have won the game for your birthday.  I'll bet if they had known they would have tried harder.  There's always next year, right?  I feel the same way about my TN Titans...bless their hearts.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday! What are we 21 now oh yea now we can PAAARRTTTY!!

Anonymous said...

I love carrot cake yum!
happy belated birthday
xo
emily

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Donna! You know I wish you so much happiness today and always! love ya

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your boys.......... pretty much how our game was last night with France............. ho hum  :o((

Carrot cake.............mmmmmmmm give me that over chocolate cake anyday....lol

Hope you had a great time.
I am sure you sister was there watching over you while you were celebrating though  :o)

Hugs Jayne

Anonymous said...

Oh, so disappointed for you.  Those boys of yours have got to get their act together!  

Happy Birthday Donna!  So nice to read you enjoyed your day.  ;)

Anonymous said...

I missed your birthday. I am sorry.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

I luv ya.

Michele

Anonymous said...

... wow ... Happy Birthday first of all ... second, when I was little, the Sabres werent that bad ... can't call any names, but 'the French Connection' line keeps coming up ... too bad they aren't going to make the playoffs

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DONNA!  Sorry this birthday greeting is late, but having the flu kept me off the computer--but so glad you had a very full, loving day!  (((hugs))), LaVern

Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Birthday and many happy returns!

~Rosemary

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))Sounds like you ad a nice Bday,if I had your adddy,I would love to send you a card.Happy Beleated Birthdya.

Anonymous said...

Great photos....even with a meltdown you said they came back and tied, but then bad another downfall.  All this had to be making your heart race with excitement.
Hope they can make those changes and get things turned around.  I love you exciting play by plays....your aresome! A Belated Happy Birthday!!!!

Hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Birthday!!

Sounds like you had a good one =)

Sometimes I wonder if "those" feelings will
ever go away, the ache of missing loved ones so
much.... =(   Big Hugs

Terri

Anonymous said...

happy belated birthday, sounds like you had a good day. great shots. mrs t xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh NO! Does that mean I missed your Birthday?? Eeek! Happy Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day and enjoyed it hugely!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi dear, *hugs* how are u? Hope well. Thanks soo much for stopping by my j. It was great to hear from you. Hmm thats weird the audio didnt work. I just tested it out and it worked fine on my end. Weird :( Try agina when u can ok? Were u on aol when u went on my blog? Maybe try thru IE. I wish i had another suggestion, lol. But ty anyway for the comment. Im so sorry ur boys lost. Geez hun i can imagine u must be so frustrated the way things are going with them. Sorry babe :) On the bright side though im happy u had a great bday as u should! Thats awesome the boss treated u and ur sis took u out to a great dinner. Its nice to be loved on ur bday well extra special love that day i mean, lol. Well take care hun. Have a good night and Friday!
xoxo, Leslie

Anonymous said...

Donna... I hope you have many more birthdays and many filled with joy!  I am sure your sister was with you.  {{{ hugs }}}

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry your boys didn't play well, and lost. I bet you wanted to get on the ice and give them a good talking to, shake them up a bit! I'm glad you had a good birthday although I know it was hard being the first one you had without that call from your sister. Have a good weekend, have you got any warm weather you can send our way?! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

So sorry the game didnt go well ,thet let you down on your Birthday ,very Happy Belated Birthday wishes from me with all my love ,it is days like this that it reminds you about people who are no longer with us ,but its all a memory to cherish ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

D, just catching up... Happy Birthday!  I wish I'd known, but now I know for next year... :D  Veronica

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that you are a Hockey Fanatic just like Moi!
If you ever have time to kill...I'd love a work of yours of My boys, THe Boston Bruins, with Tim Thomas! (I have a Thing for Goalies) heheehe!
-Hugs
-Britt