Sunday, June 1, 2008

~ And the rains came ~

DsDesignsRainCameMarsparty.gif picture by 55hockeyfan


The sun was barely out all morning, but it tried so hard to peek through the clouds.  The temperature didn't seem bad, but the winds were blowing.  The party was outside, but I knew a good portion of the grounds were under cover.  Didn't help with the wind, but I knew if the rains came it would be ok....  somewhat.  Who wants rain for an outdoor party even if there is cover????

 

I arrived in the parking lot and my niece and her family were right behind me.  Bug came running to give hugs and kisses.  I had printed out her silly girl graphic to give her.  I love listening to her laugh!  They tucked it away in the car and we made our way over to the entrance.  On the way a young couple were walking in as well.  My niece and I looked at each other.  'Oh shit!'  If they are going to the same party we are WAY underdressed!   She had a beautiful tea length dress and heels.  He had a suit and tie.  WTF!?!?!  Ok, maybe they have something else to do, maybe there are two parties going on.  We get to the opening and there is my cousin and her husband.  She, in a beautiful sea foam green dress, him in a suit.  My jaw must have been dragging on the ground because the two of them laughed, a huge belly laugh.  She headed towards us as we made our way in.  My eyes didn't scan the rest of the crowd already there, I was ready to fun for cover.  A pair of Capri's and top with a sweatshirt jacket in tow was NOT going to cut it.  She proceeded to tell me there was a wedding on the other side of her family and they came from the church and would be leaving later for the reception.  Wheeewww... it was then my eyes were able to look around.  They were overdressed, I wasn't underdressed.

 

Off to one side, and under cover was the huge smoker.  Pork, beef, and turkey.  The smell was amazing!!!  Tables set up under cover as well as a stretch of tables for food and snacks.   The grove itself is a huge rectangle, the covered portions are somewhat in an 'L' shape.  Tables and food at the bottom portion of the 'L', the bar and the longer end.  The mixture of where people stood was pretty spread out.  I suppose all in all about 80 people.  The wind was blowing and it was about 1 hour after arriving that the sky turned black.  The winds picked up, and the rains came.  I was standing at the bottom of the 'L' and looking through the open section of the grove over to the bar, it was a sheet of water.  I had to grab my camera.  I wasn't trying to focus on the people, I just wanted the effect of how hard it is raining.  I took a few shots, and as I was shooting away my nephew thought I was trying to sneak a picture.  He had the whole crowd turn and pop me the bird.  LMAO!!!   I could see it as I did it, but when I went to use that picture it was so blurry it wasn't worth the effort.  But Jeff, I did notice!   You goof ball!! 

 

DsDesignsBugTreeClimbing.jpg picture by 55hockeyfan

 

The rain lasted maybe an hour.  When it finally stopped the sun came out and the puddles quickly disappeared.  It never once effected the good time we were having, but it was so much better when it was over.   Tables got pulled out from under cover and we enjoyed the heat of the sun.  The kids ran and played on the grass.  The huge tree off to one side became their stomping grounds for hours.   They swung off the low hanging branches and found the perfect place to sit and relax.  As much as 'bug' is a girly girl, she is also a tomboy.  She had a blast climbing up the tree, find the nook, and posed.  She is not shy by any means, but she is going back and forth on whether she wants to be the subject of a photo shoot.  Yesterday was a good day as you can see.    Gage had fun climbing too.  He only had a few steps and pulls to get to the nook as he is that much taller, but I think it was still fun for him too.

 

DsDesignsGageTreeClimbing.gif picture by 55hockeyfan

 

A few hours after dinner the party started to die down.  The grove was reserved until 8pm.  By 9ish we were all headed out of there and the remainder of the party came back here.  The basement bar was full, the patio had several folks enjoying the evening air.  The living area had the numerous hockey fans planted in front of the TV to watch game 4.  It was a good night.  I think it was about 1am when I headed up to my bed.  I swear it was calling me for a good hour before I decided to respond.

 

Today is just a day of resting.  The sun has yet to peek through the clouds and it's a bit chilly.  Not what I expect for June 1, but what can you do?  I do hope this is NOT a sign of what summer will bring my area.   Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

 

Hugs

~d

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))))))))))))I am glad you had a great time.I love the pics.Sorry that I havent commented sooner.My alerts are some what not working.Have a nice week.

Anonymous said...

Was this a family reunion?  
Sounds fun...and oh, what good food!  

Enjoy your day of rest.  :)

XOXO,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

I want to be at your parties!! Food, booze, fun, rain....family. WOW, you describe it so well and i can just imagine just how it was. Bug is a doll....such a cute outfit and Gage is growing so fast. Love the pics. LOVE YOU TOO.

Anonymous said...

Fun fun fun....don'tcha just love family get2gethers!

Glad you had a great time...love the pics...the kids are just adorable....it started to rain, thunder and lightening at our party too last night....but we just kept on partying under the carport...haha  The storm did wait to hit around 12am...though...so we were lucky...i suppose.

Hope you have a good week!

Hugs
Terri

Anonymous said...

Omg Donna! Is it my imagination or are your pictures gettin better and better? I've just seen all the recent ones and am stunned. Especially the one of the sea gull!! You're makin me wanna try some photography of my own.....be warned! lol!

I tagged you in my journal if you wanna do it. No worries if not.

Hope you're good. Miss ya!

Lots of love, Ste
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Glad that you all had a good time and that you were not underdressed LOL. Great pictures. The children looked so cute in the big old tree. The other pictures from the other entries of the children were great. Bug was so cute making her faces. Helen

Anonymous said...

Rain or no rain, looks like it was a great time!
Missie

Anonymous said...

glad that a "GOOD TIME" was had by all, even if at the beginning it was a tad bit stresful with the proper attire drama!

Anonymous said...

Rain or no rain it looks like everyone had a great time.  Your photo's are great as usual.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Love the pics!!!  Glad everyone had a good time!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

Amazing pictures, Bug & Gage are too cute! Thanks for sharing. Family get togethers are so much fun.
Hugs
Debbie

Anonymous said...

They are such cuties and I sure enjoy watching them grow!  Hugs, Carla

Anonymous said...

I sure love your family pics--glad u all had fun-ty so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Yes Iagree your little dia is very delicious ,and so is her brother ,You know we have seen them grow through your entrys ,Iam pleased you ended up being dressed  correctly ,would have been an awful gaffe ,never mind it sounded like a great day ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I gotta tell you ... your weekend life is way more interesting than mine.  LOL

Anonymous said...

Looks like you all had fun

Jayne