Tuesday, June 10, 2008

~ Old Friends ~

DsDesignsOldFriendssandra.jpg picture by 55hockeyfan


'Old friends are like antiques, they are to be treasured.'  Such a great statement and how very true.   Today I talked to an old friend.  A great one.  One that I've missed beyond belief.  She contacted me after my sister passed.  We talked and then who knows what happened.  Life I guess.  Then my Dad and his hip, phones going unanswered, opposite schedules....  all shitty ass excuses I know.  This past week she was front and center.  We use to go hear Paul Pope together, and with him being in town I tried to contact her.  I emailed, called, left messages, etc.  Today she called back and left me a message, and when I got home from work I called.  We talked a bit...  it was wonderful.

 

We all do stupid shit at sometime in our lives, and sometimes you can't fix it the way you want or should, even if you want to.   I won't go into details but that is basically what happened.  Years went by before we did hook up again.  My son was little.  We tried and did stay in touch, went on vacation together.  Then life got in the way.  She relocated to Florida.  I hated it, but knew she had to.   We tried to stay in touch and hell if I know what happened but we lost contact again.  Then the email after my sister passed.  The phone call, the tears. 

 

When we talked today we promised not to let years go by.  Life is so short why do we let those we care about slip away from our everyday lives?  People come and go, promises made and broken.  Today I was lucky enough to make contact, and you can rest assured I will not let it slip away again.  I'm not perfect but I will be trying my best to get this relationship, friendship, back on track.  I really have missed her. 

 

Do you have a friend you lost contact with?  Can I just say, take the step.  Don't let weeks, months, years go by.  Make the time.  Take the time.  If you care about the person, truly care, it only takes a second.  Drop a line, make a call.  Something.  Don't make shitty ass excuses as to why you can't be around.   The more excuses you make the harder it becomes, and trust me you look foolish.  I know,  I looked in the mirror today.

 

Yes, I will tag the graphic if you want.  Leave a comment with the name.  It will expire on 6-12 at noon EST.

 

Hugs

~d

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you reunited with your friend. I am sure you will keep in touch more often now. Good luck to the both of you.
Can you please make me a tag with Maria?
Thank you. Hugs, Maria

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwww so adorable! May i have 1 with Carolyn?
TY hun

Anonymous said...

it's so nice to be in contact with old friends that you have lost touch with. It's so easy to do, we all get so busy or move. I'm happy that you two are talking.

Anonymous said...

Your comments hit me Donna ....I have a couple friends that I have lost touch with .....I will make the step to get in contact with these friends.  One can never have too many friends.

Hugs

Mari

Anonymous said...

Donna, I am glad that you have got back in touch with your friend. You are right about crappy excuses and not letting someone go if you really care. Keep in touch with your friend! (((HUGS))) -Missy
http://journals.aol.com/ma24179/MISSYZSTUFF

Anonymous said...

Please tag Old Friends with Linda. I loved this and it is so true. Friends are lifes greatest asset beside our family of course. thanks
Linda/llbrown247

Anonymous said...

Can I please have it with Pam? Thank Donna..
Pam

Anonymous said...

Hello there, hope you are doing well. May I get this with
Stacey
please, thanks so much for all you do. Have a great night
Stacey aka Ladyjaguar

slaphappytigermom@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

So glad you and your friend finally were able to talk again. Yes I have friends I have lost touch with we've moved to different states and life happened. I love that tag and would love to have one with Chrissie on it please. Thank you in advance.

Anonymous said...

I think we've all done that, I know I have but now I'm in touch with three girls I haven't seen for over forty years since we left school. It's great to be in touch again although they do keep recalling things from the past ~ silly things we did ~ that I'd rather not remember! Lol! I'm glad you and your friend are finally in touch. It takes a bit of effort in our busy lives but then life is about people and interactions isn't it? Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

You are very wise and i am glad you reconnected with this true friend of yours and i hope you get together with her again soon. I am guilty of walking away from a few but they seemed toxic to me. Hell, i may have been the toxic one!
I love the tag and would love it with Lisa. Thank you my friend.
XO

Anonymous said...

Please one with Joyce..thank you ...hugs
Joyce

Anonymous said...

All so very true D.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Boy, that entry made me think.  I need to make some calls.  May I have the tag with my name on it please.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Friends are so wonderful!  Linda

Anonymous said...

I sooo agree with your thoughts here.  I just caught up with an old friend yesterday and am trying to locate another one out of state.

Pleas tag one for Donna.

Thank you.

Donna
Dust Bunny Protector

Anonymous said...

  Great entry.  I have some lost old friends I should contact again.

             Julie

Anonymous said...

How wonderful for you and Sandra ,I have a friend I would dearly love to find ,dont know where to start to look , Please may Ihave one of these lovely graphics ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

that is so true! can I have Nancy on it please?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got in contact with your dear friend...hope you two pick up where you left off and make many happy memories together!

I would love a graphic with Terri please...

Thank you!

Hugs
Terri

Anonymous said...

May I have one with Bridgett, please, sweetie?

Thank you!

bridgetteleigh75@aol.com
XOXO

Anonymous said...

so TRUE about 'old frens' and loosing touch....GLAD you found EACH OTHER again!!!

PLEASE to request your darling raggy with:

Jan

Thanks Muchly for this GREAT offer!!
take care ^j^
huggers
~*jan*~

Anonymous said...

so TRUE about 'old frens' and loosing touch....GLAD you found EACH OTHER again!!!

PLEASE to request your darling raggy with:

Jan

Thanks Muchly for this GREAT offer!!
take care ^j^
huggers
~*jan*~

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))I know exactlly how you feel,yes,I have a friend,a Bestfriend I would love to hear from,but,I dont have Ehr number or address,I think i remember were She lives.I do miss Her alot.I am glad you got to talk to your good friend.I hope you will be able to keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

Ya know...you are exactly right....I have a friend (2 actually) that I have known since I was about 5 yrs old...one lives in the county next to me...the other lives in FL.....but when we do get together...watch out.....

I will have to call my friends today. Thank you for the reminder......I take time to do other things that don't amount to a hill of beans sometimes....everyone needs that kind of friend.


Michele

Anonymous said...

Your right Donna life is too short and we must hold on to those we care about deeply before we loose touch ;)

Jenny

Anonymous said...

You are so right Donna, I lost contact with my best friend over her life choices, she got hooked up with the wrong guy and hooked on heroin so sad and sadly there is no going back as she overdosed and they found her dead with her little boy trying to wake her up. With all her faults she was a kind soul and I do miss her.
Debbie
xxx