Thursday, August 18, 2005

August's Artsy Essay

August's Artsy Essay <--- click to read all about it and enter :)


I believe............  


I thought about this topic for a few hours off and on and then put it in the back of mind while I dealt with real life issues.  A couple days past, and then today I thought about it again.  We all have so many beliefs, some we share, some we will fight with a passion to the bitter end to have someone share that belief, some we just tuck away and leave in the depths of our souls for only us to know.  


I wrestled with what belief I would share here and remembered my Tuesday.  Yes, just a couple of days ago.  My weekend was horrible, and the work week started out just as bad.  I wanted to rant to anyone who would listen about how unfair life is, how sometimes it sucks, how I wish I could wiggle my nose and have all my dreams come true. Then.... Tuesday.  


My 19 year old son called me in a panic.  He had told his cousin he would watch her daughter from 2-7, but got called into work and wouldn't be able to do it.  He felt horrible that he had to back out on her and didn't have her number.  'Mom, can you call her?'  Well, of course, I came to the rescue.   I called my niece explained the situation and told her to have 'great grandma' watch her until I got out of work and I'd pick her up on my way home.  Argh!  I really didn't want to do that.  I love my niece and my great niece, but I was miserable, crabby, and just not in the mood to deal with a child that wasn't even two.   


I finished out my day and drove to my mothers.  As I pulled into the cul-de-sac I could see my younger sister in the driveway playing with the little one.  They had been drawing on the driveway with chalk.  I could just imagine the thoughts going through my dads head.  At 75 the last thing he wanted was colorful scribbleson his driveway.  Don't get me wrongweonly call him 'grump' as a joke, but he already raised 7 kids and had his fair share of 'messes' to clean up.   


When I pulled in the driveway I saw this little curly head face look up and smile a smile that could melt your heart.  She didn't run to the car, but rather stood there calling my name and giggling.  When I got out of the car she ran to me and handed me a piece of chalk 'help' she said.  I bent down and drew the only thing I knew I could, an elephant's butt!  We giggled together and went inside to gather her belongings.  Bag upon bag of toys, clothes, diapers, car seat, you name it she had it.  The whole time she squealed 'ride, ride, ride.'  We packed the car and went on our merry way.  


Once at home we had a quick dinner, her favorite, spagetti-os.  Not something I preferred but with short notice and being a little later than her normal dinner hour it was quick.  We sat at the table, well she stood.  She wanted nothing to do with the phone book on her chair.  She probably wore more dinner than she got in her mouth but she absolutely refused my help.  Each time I asked or tried I got a big healthy, NO!  She helped me clean up by grabbing the broom and sweeping the same spot as I cleared the table and got the dishes in the dishwasher.  She asked for 'toons', but just my luck the cable had to be out and I was lucky if I got two channels, neither being the cartoon network.  I grabbed the radio and chuckled to myself as I said, 'how 'bout these tunes?'  We danced for a bit, but soon she wanted to move on to something else.  We played with the toys, read a book, or should I say looked at pictures, played with more toys, looked at the pictures on the computer, so on so forth...  Hard to believe but it was almost 9 by the time her mother got there.  Where did the time go?  It felt as though she was there only a matter of minutes.  


So, what is my belief you ask?  My belief is that the innocence of a child is the most heart warming thing in life.  In a matter of minutes of being with her I forgot my troubles, my crabbiness melted with her first smile.  The feel of her against me as we sat in the chair rapidly looking at each picture in the book erased all the muscle stress.  The smell of her curls as she cuddled closer to me as we giggled at the pictures on the computer made the smell of roses pale in comparison.   She has a very limited vocabulary, but when she talks she says something, even if it is only a word or two.  She says she trusts you without question, she believes you will take care of her without a second guess, and yes she loves you unconditionally.  Life is so precious.  Every adult should enjoy the company of a child. Savor the innocence and forget the worries of the day.  


Writing this today had Tuesday flood back to me.  Sure I was exhausted after she left, but it was a good exhausted.  I spent several hours with a child and remembered the simple things in life and enjoyed them.  No controversial topic or belief, just a plain and simple belief that children should be cherished and enjoyed, they grow up way to fast and have to deal with that life that is so unfair!


        How can a face like that not make you melt?  Anyone notice the shoes??  Tell me that isn't enough to bring a smile to any face?


 


UPDATE:   I am not sure if this directly relates to this entry or not, but the timing leads me to believe it does.  It's very sad to say the least, but I needed to vent.  I'm so sorry my intent is not for drama but to get it off my chest.  That is what journals about, right?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely post....... I believe as well:):):) judi

Anonymous said...

Its wonderful to read an entry so real and that shows us the person inside and what makes you believe .....love the ideas in this x

Anonymous said...

Lovely entry what a precious child :) Good luck in the contest :)

Maria

http://journals.aol.com/curvyanglintexas/HeartfeltExpressions

Anonymous said...

as a mother to a 7 year old - the shoes were the FIRST thing I noticed - rofl!  I guess our souls were touched with the same thoughts this week, wonderful essay!  -Kelly http://journals.aol.com/pixiedustnme/Inmyopinion/entries/1241

Anonymous said...

Those shoes remind me of my youngest who wore ruby red dress shoes for YEARS with every outfit.  Dress, jeans, bathing suit.  And I remember admiring her gumption and the innocence that allowed her to be who she really was and not care what people thought!  Loved you story.