Sunday, August 14, 2005

Hockey update..... or lack there of

Well, I haven't posted much on hockey lately.  To my disappointment there really isn't much happening with my team.  I am not sure what I expected, but I thought this free agency would be fun, and it really hasn't turned out that way.   Down deep I knew management would not break the bank to get big name free agent players signed.  We've got a new owner who just pulled the team out of the depths of bankruptcy.  Surely he would want to get things back on track, compete, and grow back to the team it once was.  Of course, not all this happening this season just because of the new CBA, but over time.  Something the fans here have been waiting on for yours.  


But nothing?  They picked up Teppo Numminen who played with Dallas in 2003-2004.  He is in his late 30's and missed part of the last season due to a heart condition.  Sure he has been cleared by doctors to play and surely passed a physical, but not really the defenseman I was hoping for.   Fans all over the area are screaming and complaining.  Many agree with the article by Tom Doran.  I have mixed feelings on it, as much of it is true, but they are my boys and I want to be more optimistic.  


There are still several RFA that have not accepted their qualifying offers. Restricted Free Agents: Maxim Afinogenov, Milan Bartovic, Daniel Briere, Tim Connolly, J.P. Dumont, Paul Gaustad, Jochen Hecht, Jeff Jillson, Ales Kotalik, Jay McKee, Sean McMorrow, Jason Pominville, Michael Ryan, Henrik Tallinder.
None have filed for arbitration, but the offers expire on Monday, August 15.  Then what?  I think they have until Dec 1 to sign.  Their rights are still the Sabres, but what good is it if they aren't on the ice?  Argh!  That is frustrating, 50 some days until the puck drops and I feel my excitement slipping away.
 


On another note, the Bills had their first preseason game against the Colts last night, winning 17-10.  The offense started out extremely slow, and this against a depleted Colts defense.  JP Losman played the entire first half and a couple series in the 2nd.  His play did improve over time, finished 11-for-19 for 88 yards and a touchdown pass to Lee Evans.  The defense was awesome!  Willis only played a short time, had 4 carries for 16 yards.  At one point he did limp off the field, but came back for a play or two and then was done.  Of course Manning played for a very short time and after taking a sack stepped off the field and left the playing to others.   It was only preseason and hopefully the next game won't be as ugly.

No comments: