Saturday, August 13, 2005

Expectations

The act or state of expecting or looking forward to an event as about to happen.  That which is expected or looked for. The prospect of the future; grounds upon which something excellent is expected to happen; prospect of anything good to come


 


My day trip to Rochester was cancelled so I decided maybe I could put an entry into my journal since it had been a couple days.  I wasn’t real sure what I was going to write, but after I got moving, cleaned up the kitchen after breakfast, showered and started the laundry I decided maybe I would just ramble.........


 


Plans had been made for me to go to Rochester to meet up with some friends.  Spend the day lazily, possibly browsing a craft show and listening to music, dinner, and home again.  I got a call about 8:15 this morning to cancel. 


 


In all my years I’ve never had anyone tell me they weren’t ready to be friends, but in a nutshell that is what the call was.  To give you a bit of background, a friend of mine had introduced me to friend of hers.  We’d all gotten together before, I’ve talked to this man on the phone on several occasions and we shared chats on line and joke emails etc.  Today wasn’t a date, wasn’t thought to be a date, or expected to be one.  The four of them had come here last time so I was going to drive there this time.  We have/had plans for them to come down on Labor Day for a free concert, so I thought ok, fair enough, my turn to do the driving.


 


I am not real sure what happened.  We firmed up plans last evening at 10-10:30.  It was all set and I would get there about 1-2 this afternoon.  No expectations, but apparently there were some I missed or something I said or did that led on that I had them.  I am not some drop dead gorgeous blonde, nor is my personality so magnetic that one would automatically be drawn in and entangled in a web they could not get out of.  No ulterior motives, just a few friends hanging out for a day.  What’s the big deal?  Apparently, I am missing something and a friendship at this point is not a good thing.  I suppose I will be free for Labor Day too. 


 


I’m not angry, but I am a bit disappointed that my weekend plans changed so quickly, and I guess a bit hurt that I can’t be considered a friend, or that someone doesn’t want me to be.  I’ve never experienced this before and to be honest it is a weird feeling.  Maybe I am just over analyzing or over reacting, but I am in a weird place this afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like cold feet to me. I'm sorry that you have been left to wonder about what you did, but I suspect you didn't do or say anything. It is such a mystery why people do what they do and a lot of times they are only thinking of themselves and not the impact it will have on another.

I don't have many friends because I'm tired of being used and taken for granted. I hope you will keep your chin up and stop wondering what you did. You sound like a great person from the entries I have read and it will be the loss of your friend to diss you, not yours. I'm always told, there is a reason for everything.