Tuesday, August 2, 2005

Extended Warranties?!?!

Just have to say I am extremely PO'd right now.  I bought a car at the end of 2002.  It was used, but it is a 2002.  I purchased the extended warranty to safe guard myself.  I've had no issues.  A dummy light here, a dummy light there.  Each time I took the car, nothing wrong and they reset things.  On my merry way I'd go.  Well, the other night we got a hit with one storm that was unreal.  It looked like a monsoon outside.  Rain flying in every direction, the wind knocking over everything in sight.  It only last about 15-20 minutes, but it was a fierce summer storm.  I got in my car after the rain subsided and on comes my battery dummy light.  It flickered a couple times and off it went.  I thought maybe with all the rain it got wet or something.  The next day on my way to work it went on and off a couple times.  Then off completely.  Late Friday night on it comes again.  So I stop at the local Auto Zone and have them check the battery.  
"It's fine ma'am, but you might want to look into your alternator"
 


Knowing I had the extended warranty I got the car into the dealer.  Or course, they couldn't get me in immediately and I had been driving very little.  No radio, no air, and quick trips.  If it was my alternator I was afraid my battery would lose it's charge and I'd be in deep do do on the expressway or something.  Don't you know it, every time I drove my car I was next to the loudest or stinkiest car in the world.  Paranoia would sink in thinking it was my car.  I dropped the car off last night.  All the way to the dealers I would hear a sound, get a whiff of some stench, and wonder "what the hell is that?"  Then the dump next to me would move on or turn and all was back to normal.  This morning bright and early the dealer called.  


"Ma'am your battery is fine.  Your alternator is fine"


I felt a tension go right up my back, as I knew something wasn't right. "Well, what's the damage?" I asked


"There is a short in your cluster, and it needs to be fixed.  Unfortunately, it is not covered under your warranty."


"So what's the damage?"


"Ma'am, it will be $600"


I felt every muscle tense up, I felt my head start to spin and all I could think was, yep that's a cluster f!


"You've got to be kidding" I whined in the phone.  "I've had this car less then 3 years, and bought the warranty to avoid a bill like that.  What about the other 3 times I had it in there for the other dummy lights?  Don't you think.......... blah blah blah"   


I could feel my blood pressure rising, and my face turning red.  I was furious!  I tried not to take my anger out on the service guy, but I know some of it came across.  After a bit more conversation I decided to call the extended warranty place.  I wanted answers as to why every other thing was covered but the main cluster.  I called and after a good 30 minutes, some of it being on hold I was told it wasn't covered but the customer service rep I was talking to had called the dealer and they were going to work on getting some type of break.  I'd been with the same dealer for over 20 years.  Every car I bought or leased went through them.  They would consider it because of my loyalty.  It would take a week or so to get an answer, but my car was safe to drive for now.  


My initial intent of this entry, to be honest, was to bitch about the money I spent on the extended warranty and that it really got me nothing when it came down to it.  Sure I used it for a few minor things in the past, but $600 is a lot of money and I was furious that the major component wasn't covered.  I say my initial intent was that because as I typed this the dealer called.  The young service guy I spoke to earlier today let me know that they did get through to the powers that be and got a call right back.  They worked things out over the phone and my cost has been cut in half.  The dealer decided to split the cost with me.  Now, I am still not happy about the whole situation, but I have to commend the dealership on their public relations and customer service.  I still have anger over the warranty coverage though.

No comments: