Sunday, August 21, 2005

Kids, kids, kids,,,

After my friendly little email yesterday, I decided to look back at my journal.  I only started it in June and definitely saw some progression.  Nothing fancy mind you, but improvements.  One thing I noticed was I had no pictures of my son, not anywhere. I decided I would do something about him, and that was yesterday.  I started going through my pictures, and that led to sorting through them.  I don't have many pictures on this computer as I just got it in April, so I had to go through the many discs I took off the old one.  What a riot!  


First, I was such a novice with my old camera that when I downloaded them on the old computer I never named them.  I was always in a hurry to get them on the PC, view them, and share them with family members and friends.  What a mistake!  I made a mental note when I was pulling the pictures off the old computer to never do that again.  So now with my new computer and camera, I take the time to size the pictures, name them, and make them easy to find.  


Needless to say, I spent hours yesterday looking through pictures to find a candid one of my son.  My 19 year old that hates to have his picture taken.  When I was able to sneak a picture in, he was always looking away from the camera, a sloppy action shot of sorts.  Some I can't believe I even saved.  Then there ones he knew I was taking, a nice smile and popping his mother the bird!   


Oh, he loves me, I have proof.  When he wants some favor or something I usually get, 'Please?  I'll love you forever.'  Hmmmmmmm, he better love me forever anyway!  Even this morning, I woke to my cell phone alerting me of a message.  When I looked he had sent me a text message.  'My phone is about to die, I work at 1, I love you.'  His way of letting me know he is ok, even though he isn't home at 8 am!  He and I will discuss that later :)  


He's a good kid, and occasionally I will pat myself on the back because I raised him by myself since he was 2.  He did well in school, he played baseball, soccer, and then found his true love in football.  Yes, I said football not hockey.  Hockey is an expensive sport to get into as a child, being circumstances were what they were I could not afford it.  I'm not even sure he would have played if I could.  He begged me at an early age to play football, and my answer was the same.  'No, you're not done growing and you can damage your bones.'  Then one day, I think he was 8, we were at the Dr's. office and he asked about playing.  The Dr. thought it was a great idea.  Great!  The Dr. didn't have to sit in the stands and worry about him, I did!  He graduated high school, works two jobs, and just finished a couple summer classes for college.  He had enrolled to take architecture, but decided that wasn't him and currently he is 'thinking' about what he wants to do.  One thing I know he decided, is he is not going back this fall.  I am not thrilled, but I have to trust him.  I have to give him the space to make mistakes or he will not grow.  Sure, I yelled, I screamed, I tried to talk reasonably to him, but his mind is made up.  'I'm not quitting forever, just for now, I will go back.'  Argh, that will be another entry as I could go on and on about that!  


Anyway, back to the pictures.  I was amazed at how I had so many of him when he was young, but the newer ones were comical or something I wouldn't post here.  Then I remembered my niece had sent me an email to her webshot site.  Yes, there were pictures there.  Not old ones either.  She had uploaded pictures of a graduation party we all just attended.  I went back to the site and grabbed one of hers.  So, may I present my son and my niece.............................


         

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your son and niece are gorgeous!!!!! I still haven't completely mastered the picture thing, but I hope to!!! So, do you love hockey because you live in the great white north or in spite of it???? :) Penny

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous..BOTH of 'em!!!  

Lv Stevie
xxx