Saturday, July 16, 2005

Just dribble

First, I didn't put a mood, because there was nothing there to say to hot to feel anything!!


Sitting here I am sweating my ass off.  No other way to put it!  Plain and simple it has been unusually hot and muggy and it has been making some if not most of the locals miserable.  Ok, so 9 days of 90 degree temps may not mean much to some, but in the WNY area that is not normal!  At 9am today it was already 80.  The humidity has been over 50% for days, and dew point well over 60% making the heat index well into the 90s.  Normally, we may see 1 or 2 days in the 90s during the summer, not this constant HOT & STICKY!  I don't have air because we don't normally need it.  Today I would kill for AC in this house.  My sinus' have been absolutely wacky, my head feels like it is full of cotton and my ears are so plugged I can't hear shit.  Nothing helps!  There have been sporadic thunderstorms around the area because of the humidity, but they don't last long and do nothing to cool things down.  Some areas have even seen the unusual flash floods because the ground is so hard the water can't absorb.  I feel like I'm back in Dallas!!  I try my damnedest to think back to January and remember the chill, but it doesn't cool me off, it doesn't even make me wish for that, it just causes me to sweat more, can you believe it??  


<sigh> so maybe I should stop venting.   


On a lighter note:  


I went searching for some information on Niagara Falls for a friend who will be visiting soon.  I found a neat webcam of the falls and thought I'd share it, be sure to click on the different options/views on the left.  This is showing the Maid of the Mist.  Aaaahhhh the cool spray, to hell with the rain gear I bet that would feel great about now!  I've been on the 'maid' several times during my life and it never ceases to amaze me.  The power of the water coming over the brink is something to experience from the bottom.  The American side drops about 150,000 US gallons per second.  Depending on the time of year and time of day it may vary.  The Canadian side, about 600,000 US gallons per second.  The water flow on the American side of the falls is much less in strength because of Goat Island, the Horseshoe Falls has no obstruction to divert it. Believe it or not, the flow over the American Falls was stopped completely for several months in 1969.  The idea was to determine if it was feasible to remove the large amount of loose rock from the base to enhance the appearance.  In the end it was determined the expense would be too great.                   


                               


WoW!  I surely jumped around here, I will blame in on the heat! 


PS I'd like to apologize for the language.  I was going to edit it, but that is how I was feeling when I wrote and felt it added to the 'mood.'  I hope I did not offend anyone :)

No comments: