Thursday, July 14, 2005

Trying to get my hockey thoughts together

I was so excited yesterday with the hockey news I could barely contain myself.  I posted some general information of what was already published, but today I think maybe I'll try to get my thoughts together.  


Starting with the lockout more than likely being over.  The NHL and the players will meet early next week for ratification.  From all reports I've heard it appears it is a done deal.  Some of the higher paid players may bawk a bit, and be a bit unhappy, but that shouldn't hold things up.  Many players have voiced their displeasure with the Union and Bob Goodenow.  Rob Ray is one of the most recent to make public comments. I believe the league needed to be fixed and won't take sides now, as many players have stated, "lets not point fingers, but just get back on the ice." 


With the cap in place I have high hopes for the Sabres.  They've always been run with a salary cap because of the financial situation.  Darcy has been chastised as well as praised for his managing of the team.  Right not they have 9 players under contract totaling a little over $9 million leaving them in good shape to stay under the cap of $39 million.  Teams like Detroit- 16 players for over $38 million, Dallas-8 players for almost $23 million, and the list goes on.  Remember, its a 23 man roster.  There is very little wiggle room for some of these teams and it is almost a guarantee players will be bought out for 75% of their expected salary and be on the open market.  The buy out will not count towards the cap and the team cannot resign the player.  Now, if you're a fan, that has to be as exciting to you as it is to me.  Even if the Sabres don't get the player just the fact that they have the ability to 'talk' about it and look into it for a change is awesome!  Instead of the same 4-6 teams bidding for a player it will more likely be 20.  


The lottery for the picking order in the draft is bringing some excitement too.  There are 30 teams in the league, fourteams have three balls and the other 26 have either one or two.  Buffalo has three balls and the prize for having your ball picked first- Sidney Crosby.  Do I dare dream? hope?


 Damn straight I do!!!  How exciting would it be to have him on our team with Max!  Seeing the speed going end to end!  Oh my G O D!  GAME ON DUDE  Lets hope the clutching and grabbing is called more often so these guys can play!  


Well, once again I've gotten so excited I can't contain myself.  Just can't wait for the action.  I for one am looking forward to the open market frenzy that will take place.  I don't care that I will need a cheat sheet to know who is on what team.  I want the boys on the ice.  Training camp starts in a little over 2 months, are you ready?  I AM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We'll have to wait and see with Mr. Crosby. He is certainly fast. But NHL rules and the small sheet of ice could work against him.

Your instincts are probably right on this one. If he is to be another "great one," the clutching and grabbing will have to be called more often.

What are the chances of that?