Friday, July 22, 2005

Yes, more HOCKEY!

I am a bit disappointed that my boys didn't win the lottery, but at least a team in dire need did.  The Penguins will be the first to pick and no doubt will select Crosby.  I had heard much speculation about the 1st pick going to a big market team.  I'm glad that didn't happen and also glad he won't be in our division!  


Everything is set.  The lock out is officially over after an overwhelming decision by the Board of Governors.  Besides the lottery drawing many things were announced today. First, the NHL changed the logo, why?  No offense to any Raider fans out there, but what was the need for this?  I feel like it is a rip off of the NFL team.  I liked the traditional orange and black that had been around forever.  Silver and black to me is depressing.  No, I don't want hot pink, like I said I liked the orange and black :) Silver because of the cup?  'Cmon, what a joke!!  


I am looking forward to the rule changes.  But, I will be honest I am still waiting to see how things 'wash out.'  It's well documented that the league has announced a crack down on the clutching and grabbing.  Once again that is part of the rule change.  Change?  Don't they mean enforce?  The rules have been there, but after about 30 days into the season teams whine and cry over the penalties and things revert back to the clutch, the grab, the hook impeding the ability for speed, grace, or power on the ice.  It won't matter how many little or big changes are made, no red line, smaller goalie equipment, a shoot out so no game ends in a tie if the rules are not enforced, it is all for not.  We will only be watching a slightly moderated version of hockey in the past few years.  It will not bring the fans that are angry back and surely it won't be bringing new fans on board if they don't understand.  I am excited to see how Martin Brodeur reacts to having limited space to play the puck, what happens to the older slower D-men with the two line pass, or better yet what about the snipers, will the pinch as often?  Will the trap be worse with no red line?   


Now the frenzy begins. 


July 23  Compliance Buyout Period Begins                


             Period to Negotiate and Sign 2003 Draftees Begins                


             Period to Extend Qualifying Offers Begins                


             Period to Negotiate RFAs/UFAs Begins


July 28   Deadline for Exercising Club/Player Options for 05/06                 


              Deadline for Signing 2003 Draftees


July 29   Deadline for Initiating Compliance Buyouts


July 30    Entry Draft


July 31    Deadline for Qualifying Offers.


August 1  RFA/UFA Period Begins     


I'm looking forward to seeing what happens out there.  There should be so much player movement and excitement over the next few days/weeks.  How does your team look to fare?  Feel free to comment, I would love to hear some feedback!  I can't believe I am the only one excited about this.

No comments: