Friday, July 22, 2005

The night from hell

First, thank you to everyone who emailed me or commented on how anxious I was over this trip.  I may actually sound like a 'nightmaremom,' but I'm not.  LOL No really, I'm not!  


The Internet is a wonderful tool.  It gives you the ability to research with just a click.  Go here, go there, find a mountain of information.  Sometimes just TOO much information!  The flight was to take off at about 8pm.  There was a 45 minute lay over in Atlanta, and then on to Florida.  There was no way in hell they wanted me to wait at the airport with them until take off.  The are young men and can handle things without 'Mommy.'  So I went home after dropping them off.  About 10ish I logged on to see how the flight had progressed.  DELAYED!!  It hadn't even taken off yet.  The expected flight and arrival time would put them in Atlanta well after their connecting flight departed.  No other flights out for the evening.  Click on to another site, there must be more information, nothing about a delay.  Click another site, flight canceled.   They both had cell phones and I couldn't imagine why they didn't call.  I dialed and both phones were shut off and went directly to voice mail.  Geeze, I hope they haven't been sitting on the plane on the runway all this time.  Click, click, click, such conflicting information.  Dial again, voice mail!  Gawd who created that anyway??    


Yes, I started to panic.  Two young guys who hadn't flown by themselves, trying to enjoy a free weekend trip and they are going to be stuck in Atlanta for the night.  I wasn't even sure they realized their connecting flight wasn't going to wait for them. I knew neither had much money, it was a free flight, free room and board, and they were just going to play.  Talk about restless!  Of course I couldn't sleep and I paced the house and tried to keep my mind off things.  My phone rang at about 12:30-1 and they had just landed in Atlanta.  They were fine, but tired and hungry.  "Mom chill, we are fine!"  They got themselves situated for the first flight out in the morningand were going toroam the 'halls' to see if they could find food.  I didn't sleep well, and wasn't relaxed until I heard from them this morning at 11, finally reaching their destination.  


I was a mess, but I know they had a blast.  They roamed the airport, fooled around.  Had great conversations with other stranded travelers.  They didn't sleep a wink and were ready for a great day on the beach today.  LOL, both probably burnt to a crisp! They decided to rent a car and get a hotel room instead of staying with the family. More money then brains I think, but they are 19 and learning on their own.  To be young and carefree. <sigh> Did I do things like this to my mother?  Ummm, probably!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that they arrived safely. Although you were having one hell of a night, as a mom, I would bet it was worth it....LOL.

Anonymous said...

Oh it was worth it for them, I'm sure.  I was expecting this step to be a 'little' one, not a huge one.  You're right though, they are safe, and I lived through it.  What's next?