Saturday, July 16, 2005

Why I Journal

To be honest, I don't know why I started my journal.  I had some extra time due to changes.  I heard about them and visited a few.  One day I just decided to start one.  I haven't been doing it long, maybe a little over a month.  I had no idea what topic I wanted and if you read it now you'll see I still don't know!  I've been jumping all over just putting down what comes to mind at that moment.  Yet, that is what this is all about, correct?   


I have found a few and generally when at a journal I will look at what 'other journals' the person has on theirs.  I've weaved in out of so many peoples lives I can't begin to tell you.  I've cried at a few, laughed at a lot, and some I shook my head and thought I hope mine is better <grin> Several are saved to favorites so I can continue to visit.   


Since I've just started, I have had only a few visits by friends, but I have gotten emails from people who just happened upon my life and dribble, so I know "I'm out there."  It was exciting and refreshing to hear others comment about what I had to say or the pictures I've put up.   


I know this may sound really odd, but I like being part of the journal world.  I like the interaction of the folks out there.  I've opened up on a few and made my comments and slowly but surely I am seeing how tight the group can be.  It's so easy to be drawn in and be part of a bigger being.  Sure, I've heard the mutters that journals are boring, they are a waste of space, they do nothing for the online world, but I personally think those comments are completely wrong and off base!  In my short time, I've seen how folks in need find support, how knowledge is spread by entries, pictures, or comments.  I've read entries that were made as part of a healing process, part of a venting process, part of sharing their talents, and yes even a cry for help.  How is that boring?  How is seeing pictures of other parts of the world a waste of space?  Sure some call in nosey I guess, and maybe it is, but it surely has helped folks, filled voids in some lives, and let people express themselves in the open and yet able to keep their privacy behind the Internet wall if they like.   


So why do I journal?  I still don't know, and you know what, I don't care.  Nothing I say is earth shattering, it won't cure disease, it won't stop the violence found all over the world, even in our own backyard (not just the terrorism), but if it makes one person smile, one person look at life in a different manner then it's worth it.  I'm enjoying myself and loving the new friends I find even if only on my monitor at this point.  So why did I enter this little essay?  I don't know that either.  To win?  I highly doubt it.  Maybe just for the hell of it, maybe to be a part of that bigger being, or maybe it's completely selfish and it's to get my journal out there for all to see.  Either way, I'm here and I see myself sticking around for a bit even if I only have a few visitors stop by :)  


In my travels I found JudithHeartSong and her "July's Very Special Artsy Essay."  I thought, 'can I do that? do I want to?"  Well, you see I decided to go for it!  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good entry!  And I think you've hit the nail on the head a few times here.  I do believe that there are a variety of reasons we all journal.  It's a many faceted world.  

Anonymous said...

congrats and well said!
M

Anonymous said...

Good for you !  Very nicely done ...... Tina

Anonymous said...

very well said and I am so glad you wrote. judi

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you entered, too!  Otherwise I might not have stumbled upon your journal.  I did, though, and I will return.  Nice entry.  I really get the feeling you did not write this to try to win, but it's a good entry and you just might win at that.
Good luck.
Sam

Anonymous said...

h