Monday, November 28, 2005

Shopping Elf

           


 


I extended my Holiday weekend by using a vacation day.  It was so wonderful having off Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Today!  I feel refreshed but I know I will pay for it tomorrow.  My desk will be covered and I will have voice mail and email up the ying yang.  Normally I would check while out of the office, but not this time.  I needed a few days away.... completely away!  I wonder if I will make it through the entire night and morning without checking.  LOL  


I slept in until about 9 today and it was great.  Made a fresh pot of coffee and logged on to check mail here.  YIKES!  You'd think I hadn't checked in days, over 150 pieces and only 2 were junk.  It was fun leisurely reading through mail as I sipped on my coffee.  I had some great comments from this journal and I do appreciate all the kind words, I do.  You can feel free to snag the graphics, I just ask that you let folks know where you got them :)   


It wasn't long before my quiet, peaceful, relaxing morning was interrupted with a bit of drama.  I won't bore you with details I will just say it concerns my nephews-brothers 21 and 24 telling each other how to live their lives, what is right and what is wrong.  All in my living room.  I sense a bit of stubbornness in that family.  Not mine of course!  LOL  


I had plans to get out and do some shopping today and the drama got my fanny in gear!   


My family is rather large.  I have 4 sisters and 2 brothers, the spouses, significant others, and the kids.  Several years ago we decided it was a waste to try and buy for everyone so we pick names.  We started out by doing 'snack baskets'.  Everyone brought a basket to my parents house on Christmas Eve.  Your basket would have 8 things, the same thing.  One would fill their basket with cheese and crackers (for 8), another 8 bottles of wine, etc.  Once we ate our dinner and the kids opened their gifts, we would retire to the family room and split our baskets.  We would all leave with a basket full. Taking one item from each basket and putting in our own thus having our own snack basket.  It was great.  Then we did theme baskets, picking a name or not.  Camping theme, bar b que, household, movie night, breakfast, so on. The decision and name picking is done on Thanksgiving Day so now I know who I have.  Since our kids are all young adults they pick names amongst themselves.  They set a dollar limit (as do we) and then everyone ends up with a really nice gift instead of........... well........... you know.  The 2 little ones, well they are spoiled rotten :)   


My great niece has been done.  She was so easy.  My sister K has been living with me for a little over a year and we decided to do joint gifts for the little ones this year.  For the 'Bug' we got her stuff for dress up.  A nice little 3 drawer sparkly cabinet.  Princess outfits, tiara's, shoes, gloves, ear rings, boa's, wedding dress, oh my as I write this I think we bought her a ton!  Her list goes on and on, but you get the idea.   


Her brother on the other hand, well we had nothing for him.  He's 6 and still to young to understand that his $45 video game and a few small gifts equals the same as all her little gifts.  We decided no video games and we'd go with a few other things.  What, we had no idea.  We figured something would jump at us and give us some ideas.  


Today walking through the store my 'shopping elf' must have been with me.  The trip was a success, and I was able to at least find a few things for him.  A few toys - mega block building kits, star wars toys, and some learning type things as well.  He has been into drawing lately and I think we will have to get something along that line too.   


I was able to get part of my basket theme for my other sister as well.  I decided to go with a pamper me theme.  I won't write what I got her as she sometimes reads this.... and well I don't want to spoil it!   


Anyway, I hope the shopping elf is in your path when you do your shopping this year.  Nothing better than having that silly guy wiggling his hips and winking at you as he leads you on your way to what you should be buying.  LOL

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH Lord, if there were ever a year where I could use a bump into that Elf, it's this year. I went from 6 months to Christmas to less than a month, all in a blink.

I like your idea about picking names out..it lightens the burden, but yet everyone gets to enjoy. And yes, the little spoiled ones still get their lion's share of the booty!

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

I have a shopping elf with me every day! There is NO day I cannot go shopping! I give my parents gift certificates to go out to eat and I normally get gift certificates for Borders and Best Buy. Then, we give each other small gifts. I've no clue what to get Sean. I bought him two cool sweaters already but that's all. I'll think of something!!!
Laughing,
Dianna

Anonymous said...

I love your winking elf!! You seem to have Christmas sorted and wrapped up! I haven't even got started yet, I could use the shopping elf to help me out! Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

Which day can I have your elf ?Idont seem to be making much headway on my own lol ..............Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Donna
I love hearing about other family's holiday traditions.  Your family holiday get-togethers sound like they are fun.  Please send the Christmas Elf my way.  He's got some work to do for me this year, LOL!
Sam

Anonymous said...

What great ideas for large families!!  Never would have thought of the theme baskets or the 8 different baskets so everyone goes home with a basket full of goodies!!  And, of course it's much easier shopping for a little girl than for a little boy that wants video games that are $49.99 a piece!  My problem this year is my 14 year old daughter.  I have absolutely no clue, other than an Ipod, what I should buy her!  Can't not have anything under the tree because the other two kids still believe in Santa and Santa doesn't bring gift certificates.  LOL!
Hugs and love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Great idea about the baskets!

Tilly x

Anonymous said...

OMG what a great idea those baskets are
I'm going to remember them for next year
Thanks for that!!
Hugs, Marina