Friday, November 18, 2005

Wanna Skate?

                             


No, the roads are not icy!  I want to qualify my entry from yesterday and let you know the roads were cleared rather quickly even though we got so much snow.  Sure there were smaller developments whose streets did not get cleared immediately, but the majority were clear of snow and we have what is called salt that gets dumped to help melt the ice.  Hence, that is why you don't buy a used car from a Yankee who drove the car up north :)  


We really didn't get anymore snow, but the temps stayed rather cold.  Any standing water that wasn't deep quickly turned to ice.  As a matter of fact, I did a little skate action in the parking lot at work.  We have a few low lying spots that iced over and I was too busy yacking and not watching what I was doing or where I was going.  I didn't fall, but it was pretty comical watching me try to catch myself.  My arms flapped like I was trying to fly and I dropped my bag and purse.  I am just thrilled I didn't drop on my butt!  Then I slid right on to dry pavement and screeched to a halt jerking, like, well, a jerk!   


I do remember, however, growing up and loving when the street I lived on iced over.  Mind you I didn't drive back then so I had no concerns.  We had a shallow pond at the end of our street.  In the summers we would 'hunt' for polly wogs and in the winter when it froze we used it as a skating rink.  All the kids in the neighborhood hung out and as soon as we got home from school we would make our way there.  If the street was iced over, we would put our skates on and carry our boots.  We would skate to the end.  It was always a blast as the street had a hill and you would get the ride of your life on a good day.  In a matter of seconds you were at the bottom and ready to go.  The trick was not to hit any dry patches!  I should ask my Mom exactly how many pair of skates I ruined because I would hit that patch.  Not once did I get hurt, but I did tumble on more than one occasion.  


Endless hours of fancy figure skating and even playing hockey.  Yes, I played.  LOL  I wasn't any good, but I knew the rules and I could skate.  After Christmas we would make the run for the discarded trees.  We would drag them to a spot near the pond and at night we would burn them and have a great bonfire.  A wonderful treat on those cold nights.   OMG!  As I write this I remember the little old couple that lived about 5 doors from the pond.  They didn't care about the fires, but it was like a game each year to see if we could snag their tree.  For some reason they didn't want us to take it.  They wanted the garbage men, and only the garbage men to take it.  Several years the little old man would run out the door as someone tried to grab it off his front lawn and he would scream and shake his fist.  I wish I grew up before they moved on, I'd love to know why.  We never asked we just yelled back and moved on to another tree.  


Aaahhh the memories of winter and skating!  

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely graphic ,and thanks for sharing those memorys ,when we fell we bounced !if we did it now ,some thing would get hurt if only our pride ...........Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Love the grapic for today. Those are great childhood memories you have. Helen

Anonymous said...

used to be you couldn't grow up without learning how to ice skate!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh ice skating! As I grew up in CT, we had plenty of opportunities to skate on lakes and ponds. I could even skate backwards and do a triple soucow (sp?) LOL--well ok, I could spin around and that's it! Anyhow it was great fun; no one seemed to mind frozen toes and noses. Tobaganing was a blast too! You live in MI? I have an icile photo that proves why I didn't last long living in E Lansing! ;-)
Blessings & toasty wishes, Sassy

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Its so wierd to hear you and others talk about snow because we are walking around without coats today. The weather here is perfect. Ha Ha. j/k
Have fun in the snow; my kids are jumping in leaves!
Cristina
http://journals.aol.com/kiplingcrissy/singlemomsjourney

Anonymous said...

I tried once to get on ice skates....fell right on my butt. I love your entry. Sounds like you have wonderful memories. My DH would love to be there with a roaring bonfire. Its cold in Ohio but no snow...flurries earlier in the week. Hugs, lisa jo

Anonymous said...

You brought back memories for me too.  I used to have a little pond in the woods about 1 mile from our house.  I would walk through the woods where the snow was untouched and make it to my frozen pond.  I would bring a shovel and shovel off all the snow, and then have the entire pond all to myself!  I LOVED it!!!  Sorry to hear about your "ice capades" in the parking lot, but at least you didn't fall!!!
Hugs and love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Bet those trees smelt good when they burnt,  wonder why those people wouldn't let you take the tree. We don't get much snow here but I loved to roller skate when I was young. I'd skate everywhere and never fell over!! Don't know if I could do it now though! Jeannette. http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/