Wednesday, February 14, 2007

~ I Admit It ~

Yes, after all this time I will admit it.  I am freakin old and out of shape!!  I don't have the get up and go like I once did, and yes I was visited by 'this' earlier today.  No, I didn't die for a second, or have my life flash before my eyes, but I was warned.

 

So I didn't actually put the spoon under my pillow or put my jammies on inside out.  In my neck of the woods you don't have to, not at this time of year.  It was snowing pretty good when I went to bed, and was still snowing when I woke up.  A friend of a friend of a friend plows our driveway and he had already been by.  Yeah!  Only thing is the way we park so all  our cars will fit.    He has to pull the snow up the drive and leaves a 'trailer' behind our cars.  I could see it was quite high and looked pretty chunky for lack of a better word.  Very similar to what one would have at the end of the driveway after the plow went down the street.  Nothing was done between the cars, for obvious reasons.  I flip on the TV and wait for the coffee to be done so I can at least have a little 'jo' before heading out.  I look at the screen and say a silent prayer that work is closed.  OMG!  Yeah right!  I live in snow country.  The 10-12 inches that fell is nothing, well except for schools, they were closed.  So I have some coffee, read some mail, and then throw on some clothes to begin the 'dig.'  There was probably 3 inches more since the plow had been by, but I'm sure I can trudge through that.  What I needed to clear was behind my car so I could back up and pull out as well as the drivers side so I could get in.  Nice drift there, about half way up my doors.   I start behind my car.  Holy shit!  Definitely more there then what I thought as I looked out my window from the warmth of my house.  The wind is blowing and the snow felt like pellets as it smacked my cheeks.  I take a couple swipes at the pile and stop, thinking, I didn't know I had muscles there.  Look around and take a deep breath and do a couple more.  OUCH! this is heavy!!  I move over to the light fluffy snow and start to clear between the cars.  Thinking I will take turns so not to wear myself out.  Yes, I'm old!  My feet slide, I stretch, pull, groan, and catch myself from falling flat on my ass and/or face.  I must have looked like a fool.  I do a few more swipes and my hip and back start aching, burning, screaming.  STOP! I try to stand up straight and I could feel tears well up.  I take another swipe behind my car.  It hurt.  I stood there looking around.  I was sore, tired, fed up.  All last week every morning was like this.  I'd finally get out of the driveway, drive through blinding snow, get to work and it would be beautiful... all day.  I'd go to leave and the heavens would open and dump more snow making my normal 20 minute drive an hour or more.  Not again today, I can't!  I threw the shovel and said 'F it'.  I walked over to the shovel, ok so I kind of limped to it, picked it up so it didn't get buried and placed it on the front stoop.  I came inside, shook off the snow, took off my boots, and promptly picked up the phone and called off.   I had no energy or get up and go to this today.  I took a few Tylenol and my heating pad and went back to bed.  I slept for a bit and when I got up I found myself sore and stiff.  Looking outside it was still snowing.  About 6 more inches of snow in the drive.  ARRRRRRRGH

 

I don't think I did any real damage, and to set the record straight the tears were more frustration then pain.  It's been an emotional few days around here and I just didn't have the 'umph.'   Besides all the drama around JLand and that same routine of clearing snow all last week, I found out last night my brother in law was in the hospital.  Apparently he wasn't feeling well on Sunday.  He has allergies and does have difficulty breathing at times.  They blew it off as that.  On Monday he was sitting at the kitchen table and once again he had those issues along with sweats.  My sister thought he looked a bit gray so off he went to the Dr's.  He felt a bit tight in his chest and the Dr sent him off to the hospital.  One thing led to another and they kept him.  He had a battery of tests and they kept him again.  He was scheduled for an Angiogram today.  Haven't heard anything yet.  So my emotional state along with feeling old and out of shape just hit me like a ton of bricks.  I'm good, but can you find it in your heart to send a few good wishes my brother in laws way?  We'd all appreciate it.

 

It's been snowing off and on all day, but at least the street out front is just wet and sloppy.  My car is buried as I left it this morning.  My sister called my nephew and he will be over a bit later to shovel.  I suppose there will be a cost, eh?  I dig you out, you let me use the computer.  I tried my son but he is working and won't be out until 11, that is if they don't ask him to stay late too.  Oh, I wish I was young and strong! 

 

Hope everyone else is doing ok, this is one mother of a storm hitting the US.  I may venture out to get pictures, but if you've seen one yard full of snow you've seen 'em all.  LOL  I'll be back....  stay safe and warm.

 

Hugs

~d

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh you poor thing, i hope this is the last fall of snow you have this year. My prayers are with you and your brother in law.
Love and hugs
katie

Anonymous said...

Oh, girl, I don't envy you having to deal with all that snow!  SAying a prayer that all goes well for B-I-L.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines and sending prayers for your bil.

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Stay warm and safe, Donna!  I can't imagine having to deal with all of that snow.  Sheesh!
Pam

Anonymous said...

wow !!!!!!!!!! you got a lot yes I understand frustration rather than ......... the pain making tears well up. we are all ice Hubby had to chip away to get doors open but all is okay since the neighbors were chipping to so not one couldbe mad. it echos in the outsie whtih ice so much and the trees groan so much. man its scrarry. I bet you are scred too so much snow and that will take along time to melt!!!!!!!!! it will be there for awhile then the flooding fomr it all. thats a neat graphic up tehre you got too. yes stay in stay warm and take it easy

Anonymous said...

Your graphic sortof scares me.  LOL!  I hear ya' on the hurting while shoveling thing.  It's NOT you being out of shape, that snow is friggin HEAVY!  I just did our front porch and was huffing and puffing.  Hubby won't even attempt to do our driveway and has been watching outside for the plow guy that does our neighbors driveway to bribe him to do ours.  He has a nice shiny $50 bill, not sure if that will be enough.  LOL!  But, seriously, just have some coffee and take some tylenol and realize that a bunch of us are hurting just like you and some are even younger than you are!!  So sorry to hear about your BIL.  I am sending him lots of prayers and healing wishes.  

I hope your nephew doesn't make you nuts tonight and doesn't screw up your computer.  
Lots of love,
L

Anonymous said...

Prayers for your brother-in-law.  Hope all goes well and he gets better news than expected.

Ah, D!  I feel your pain and frustration.  This from the TRUE SNOW LOVER of the Northeast!  I went out to dig out, quite happily, but by the time I had cleared along one side of the car the back was screaming, the lungs were screaming, my hips were aching.  I thought, "Oh crap!  No wonder people don't like snow!"  LMAO!!!

Well, I got my snow.  I got to clean the car twice.  I kept the spoon under my pillow for tonight.  (I must be nuts)

I am driving to Boston for a Celtics game tonight.  Go figure.  I guess since the Bucks are in town, the game has to be played.  

Anonymous said...

There's  a price to pay for all that nice white stuff, Donna. Sorry to hear your brother in law isn't well.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Anonymous said...

Wow..sounds like when it rains it POURS!! Sorry to hear of your problems and wish them away in my prayers. EVen if it is snowing to beat the band I wish you and your's a very Happy Valentines Day. I hope things go better for you and family  from this day on!  Don't worry about Jland, the problems will blow out eventually and everyone will become the good friends they always were...God Bless and many wellness hugs :)))))))) Doreen

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna, All that snow over the pond and this country would literally come to a stand still, everything would stop, I love the snow but I think after all that you have had this year even I would be sick of seeing it never mind shovelling it,take the next couple of months of work, throw a sickie or something, lock up your home, catch the next plane over to sunny England,and come stay with us over here untill they have better weather, LOL,
Hope everything is ok with your B~I~L, send good vibes his way,
Love the graphic take care Lynne xx

Anonymous said...

Oh Donna...I do hope that your brother in law will be fine. Wow! All of this snow is just way too much for all of us! We got 16 inches! Thats more then we normally would get, and it's not done yet. uuuhhh! I hope your back gets better, I know how that feels, and stay warm and cozy too. If you need help, call someone. Don't want you hurting like I do now! Whew!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

i hope your BIL will be ok prayers for all:) i hate the snow ick ick ick lol

Deb

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you brother in law to be well Donna. None of us are young any more and things we did easily once are a major struggle now! I haven't shovelled snow for years now. I hope you enjoyed your day at home and I hope the weather improves soon, I'm still working on sending you the spring like weather we had today but being a selfish bitch I wanna hold on to it for a while! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had such a bad day. I am saying a prayer for you and your family. The graphic is scary LOL

love ya and I hope you had a good valentines day despite all :P

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Geez, D, I'll certainly send prayers your BIL's way.  Things rarely totally shut down in Pittsburgh.  The schools will but nothing else.  I don't believe they would have today except for the fact that we had an ice storm all night on top of the snow.  My dog is driving me nuts.  He loves the snow but can't stand it now because it's frozen on the top and every step he takes, he goes through it.  LOL...he's an old one like me.  His joints aren't great, and it must hurt.  Our winter here didn't start until 3 weeks ago so we've been lucky.  Hang in there.  Old Phil the groundhog says we only have 3 weeks to go...hehe  Love ya, Chris

Anonymous said...

Awwwww dont blame you for being fed up and you were right not to go into work! I do hope your brother-in-law is ok and Ill pray for him hun! Its 4am here and I cant sleep LOL - I wonder if we will get the snow storms eventually! Laine xxx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/elainey2465/art-degree/

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I don't envy you having to dig your way to your car through all that snow!  Naturally in Cali, we don't have that problem.  Glad we don't.  I hate hot weather, but I don't care much for snow either.  I want perfect weather...all the time!  Not asking for much, am I?

It sounds like your get up and go, got up and went!  My get up and go is probably hanging out with yours somewhere.  Getting old sucks somtimes, doesn't it?'

Glad you got some added rest this morning!

Hugs
jackie

Anonymous said...

Ooops.. I hit the save button before I said that I will keep your BIL in my prayers..  I hope it all turns out to be nothing serious..

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Man......and here i am wishing it would snow here.......you have painted me a whole new picture of snow!!!I will do without it!!! My car would have to stay put! lol I laughed my butt off when you wrote about throwing the shovel......sounds so much like what I would have done! lol lol
Take care and stay warm...
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

AWWWW..Sounds like you had a terrible day yesterday...... Try to be careful with all that bloody snow... I love snow..but enough is enough....for u guys at least... We just got about 4 inches..chump change compared to most of you. See if you can find some little boys who will shovel your snow for about 5 dollars. I'm sure they wont hesitate LOL... 5 dollars lass in ur pocket but at least your warm :))) Once again I pray that your bro in law is ok..:)
Stay strong and take care!!!
Steph

Anonymous said...

Donna
I'm sorry you hurst yourself shoveling the snow, but I'm glad you called off work so you can rest that back.  I hope things turn out okay with your brother in law and that it is not something serious.  What a terrible way to spend Valentine's Day, hurting and worrying.  My heart goes out to you.
SAm

Anonymous said...

schools here have been closed all week....still at a level three snow emergency. 10 foot high snow drifts everywhere and people walking in the streets. Ice.

I hate this. Spring coming soon?
YOU and your BIL are in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad you were able to stay home. I hope the nephew didnt show his ass to you.
XO lj

Anonymous said...

Oh poor you I know the feeling well ,when my get up and go got up and went ,hope your brother gets good results,and is soon home again  ,love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Awww babes,

I'm so sorry to learn of all this. I've been emailing you with all my stuff, not having read this. *HUGS*

I hope you feel better soon, and I wish your brother in law all the best. I'm sure he'll be fine babes. lease pass on my well wishes!


Love ya loads. Leaving something on my journal for ya in a bit so keep checking.

XxXxXxxX

Anonymous said...

I don't blame ya for calling off Donna...
UGH...who likes to shovel!  
Keeping your BIL in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs,
Terri

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry D :(  I hope you are feeling much, much better very quickly... glad you called off, that was a wise thing.  I will also send well and best wishes to your brother in law, I'm sorry he is ill... Hugz, Teresa

Anonymous said...

Oh I am sorry for you...I am glad you called in though, sounds like you need a break. Keeping your BIL in prayer.
Michele

Anonymous said...

I Would have called in too.  that is too much snow, not worth risking your life for.
Bake those bones in that bed, an take it easy.
I can relate...