Saturday, May 13, 2006

Nail Biter!

              DsDesignsHeroGame5.gif


OMG!  I didn't think I could have gotten any higher then I was the other night, but I was wrong!  Right now I am flying.  Tears in my eyes and my body still shaking from the excitement.  Voice scratchy from all the yelling.

 

Henrik Tallinder scored 33 seconds into the game.  Without a doubt it makes it much easier to watch when you have the lead.  About 10 minutes later Ottawa scored to tie it up while on a 5-3.  About 8 minutes into the second Drury scored to put the boys up again 2-1, but before the period ended Ottawa again found the back of the net to even it up at 2.  The third was pretty tight.  Ottawa was facing elimination and fought hard, but Ryan was tough.  He stood on his head on several shots and held his ground.  The period ended the same as it started, tied up 2-2.  We're going to OT.  My heart is pounding and my stomach turning.  Can we come up with a hero tonight?  Can we eliminate the Senators and move on to the Conference Finals?  Like I said earlier the longer you let Ottawa hang around, the scarier it is.  The beginning of OT was cautious.  About 1 minute in, Buffalo gets a penalty, I screamed and yelled.  Yes, it was a legit penalty but it was against of our best penalty killer.  Then it happened.  Short handed Jason Pominville races down the ice, beats Alfredsson and fights all the way to the net.  Moves here, wiggles there and wham it's over.  Short handed he scores the goal and gives Buffalo the win 3-2.  My house erupted as I am sure the entire city did in unison.  A roar over Western New York!  The Sabres have beat the top seed in the Eastern Conference.  The favorite all year!

 

Congrats to Jason!  He came up from Rochester during training camp way back when. The team was pretty stacked and it was definitely a hard choice but he was sent to the minors.  He passed through waivers with no trouble, meaning no other team picked him up.  (Probably one reason I had a hard time finding pictures of him in a Sabres uniform)  He played and played and scored and scored.  When we were hit with the injury bug he was called back up and continued.  He played hard and was kept on the roster.  What a statement scoring the OT goal in this game. 

 

On a side note, I know we won, but I have to say the officiating in this series was horrendous.  Gary Bettman I hope you're watching and I hope you stand by your word.  'If the officials do not call the game as they did in the regular season they will not be working in the playoffs.'   I am not saying the calls against us were not calls, but if you are going to call it in one end you have to call it in the other.  I think Ottawa had a total of 5, 5-3 in the series.  Yet the same incidents done the other way were not called.  Both goalies got high sticked, no calls either way.  Trips, hacks, holding, interference, it was pick and choose.  How the hell are players supposed to know what you're going to call if you're not consistent.  Hello?  Gary?  Whatcha gonna do?

 

Yehaaawww on to the Conference Finals!!  We won't know who we play until the Carolina/New Jersey series is over.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

God, I have all these memories flooding back from when the Lightning won it.  Great graphic!  GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

So glad the boys are doing well still, hope it continues! You're gonna need sedatives at this rate!! Jeannette xx

Anonymous said...

First I wish you a very gratifying Mothers Day, and second, being from NJ I'm trying so hard to get with it and enjoy hockey, watching a few games here and there.  Even bought myself the regulation T's, caps, and those crazy devil horns - scared my grandkids!  But I just want to say "bless you" for having such a passion about something and sharing it, like I see others doing, which makes my life so much more meaningful.  Cathy

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the win!  Your boys really came through and I am happy for you and all of Buffalo!  Can't wait to see how they do in the rest of the playoffs.  This could be the year!
Sam

Anonymous said...

Donna, congrats again. A win in overtime is always fun if it is your team scoring. I am now a believer, on to the Conf. Championship. Go "Boys" go.
Bill

Anonymous said...

Donna at the moment I can totally relate to your first paragraph lol......another great description of the game, thanks and I'm glad your team won. I understand also what you're saying about the officials ~ we see it here in the football too ~ drives you mad!
hugs Debbie ~xxx~
http://journals.aol.com/debbiewebb4465/TheLifeTimesofanEssexGirl

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day, Donna and congrats on the win.
Dianna

Anonymous said...

Huge Hugs Donna! (carrying you on my shoulder "they won, they won, they won!" :):) love,natalie

Anonymous said...

So happy for you ,on the win ,I'm back trying to play catchup ....Jan xx