Tuesday, July 24, 2007

~ Summer Dreams ~

DsDesignsSummerDreams7-24-07.jpg


Aaaah yes, summer dreams.  I didn't do an entry yesterday.  I was exhausted.  I played with graphics after work and I deleted each and every one.  I didn't like them, I wasn't in the mood.  Today I got into work and my desk was buried.  I want to know who the little gremlins are that come out at night and leave me work!!!  The day went by fairly fast but about half through I found myself just staring at my computer screen not doing a thing.  I know my mind wandered, but I'm not sure exactly where it went.  I took off next Monday and Tuesday and decided I wanted another day so I requested off for Friday.  No plans for that day, but before I knew it I had asked off. 

 

Today is Tuesday.  Or at least it was when I started writing.  I called my sisters about 2ish and talked to her daughter.  She was off in bed.  I did make arrangements to stop on my way home to bring her a milkshake.  With my Dad having his surgery a couple weeks ago I've slacked there.  Not today!   I stopped at Baskin Robbins/Dunkin' Donuts for her treat.  It was dead in there and only one register open.  I walked to the counter that wasn't near the ice cream and put in my order.  As I stood there talking to the guy working, right at eye level behind him was the case of freshly made treats.  Glaring at me and was a lemon blast donut.  My sister LOVES lemon pie and this doughnut had her name all over it.  I started to order a half dozen mixed donuts and was informed for $1.20 more I could get 12.  Well, DUH!  That's a no brainer!   I got 12.  There was a reason that was the only register open.  Sell, sell, sell. 

 

I got to my sisters and she came out of the back room.  I'd hugged and kissed her, only to find she was hot!  I'm not talking sexy hot in her lounge ware.  She felt like she was burning up.  She didn't feel it but took some med's anyway.  She got on the couch and I hooked her up with her shake and donut.  She looked like a little kid with the powdered sugar on her lips and cheeks.  Some even on the tip of her nose.  Lucky her, she has my Dad's nose.  He calls it the Roman nose with character.  I guess she listened to him when she was little.  He always told us, as well as his grand kids, 'pull on that nose if you want one with character!' 

 

MMMMMM was a common theme as she sipped on her shake and ate.  We talked a bit about her trip and the fun they had.  How the weather was, and how nice it was to get away.  She let me know the results of her scan.  It's not horrible news, but it is not what I had hoped for, prayed for, or wished for.  The lesions on her liver have shrunk, millimeters only but that is the right direction.  The tumors on her pancreas have grown by millimeters.  The Dr. said not to forget a millimeter is like a strand of hair.  It didn't matter to me.  It's the wrong direction!  My heart skipped, but she was still so positive I couldn't let her see my sadness.  I ached inside but didn't want her to know.  They are going forward with the same treatment plan.  She has her schedule out until September.  I know it's a battle, and I knew it wouldn't be easy.  I just wanted so bad for it ALL to be good news.  I will continue to pray, have faith and be positive.  Summer dreams...........  I want my sister well.  I want her cancer free. 

 

Before I left we made plans to do lunch on Friday.  Ohhh the reason I wanted the day off.  I'll arrange to have my mom and whoever else is available join us.  A girls day out for a 'yeah day.'  When our kids were young we had 'yeah day' on the first day of school.  We'd get them off on the bus and we'd all meet up for lunch.  To celebrate.  LOL  This will be a celebration of love. 

 

I got home and had dinner and could see out my back window the sky turning pink.  I needed air, needed space.  I grabbed my camera and headed downtown to the marina.  I stood at the railing and snapped picture after picture.  I normally look to see what I had gotten.  Today?  I didn't care!  I just needed beauty, needed to feel faith.  Strength.   As I was walking back to my car, I stopped at the road way and took a few pictures of the buildings downtown.  I heard a little boy, 'Lady, lady' in a high pitched voice.  His father hushed him.  'But she isn't looking.  She might walk into the street.'  I put my camera down and turned to thank him.  I had no intention of walking into the street, but I appreciated his caring.  I told him I was so busy taking pictures I was glad he was there to help me.  He smiled ear to ear, his father winked. 

 

As I turned to walk to my car I heard in a deep voice, 'lady, lady'  It wasn't a child, but a man.  I turned to look and there standing smiling and laughing was Jimmy.   A very good friend of mine from years gone by.  You may remember our lunch date a while back.  It was wonderful to see him.  He bent to hug me and I felt myself grab hold of him not wanting to let go.  He sensed my need and pulled me in closer.  Tears rolled down my cheeks, but I just stood there letting him hold me, holding him.  He had no idea so I filled him in between tears and sobs.  We grabbed a bench and talked.  It was nice, he was nice.  Sweet.  Loving and helpful.  He let me cry.  He walked me to my car, a quick kiss and we went our way.  Faith... in a friendship so deep that no matter how much time goes by you can pick up where you left off.  Care for each other and bring a warmth back to what seemed like a cold day.  I'll call him if I don't hear from him this weekend.  We are going to try and get together when we have more time.  Time............

 

It's late, and it's now Wednesday.  I am off to bed.  I do hope everyone had a great day today!

Summer dreams..........

 

Hugs

~d

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... yeah, I can understand your feelings... I am sorry the news wasn't better.  I will send more prayers... maybe they can go stronger on the meds?  

I am glad you have a friend like that... I do too.  Mine lives in AZ... and I am still in our hometown here in NJ.  

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

What an eventful day!  I'll be sending good vibes to your sis!

hug,
Russ

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you saw your sister and brought her a treat. Cute about the little boy keeping you safe! And how nice to run into your friend Jimmy. What a treat that was. The timing was perfect!
Have a good night.
Hugs...Pam

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I do believe that God put Jimmy there for you today...maybe nudged him to be at that place at that time....He knew you would need a shoulder to cry on...God bless you,
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

Isn't it a wonderful feeling when you have a shoulder to cry on and just at the right time too.I still have your sister in my prayers Donna.Aw how kind of the little boy to do that deed.I can just see his little face lighting up and Dads wink wink LOL!! Happy to read your tale of sisters face with the doughnut it gave me a smile,the sugar on her lips and cheeks.Mmmmm.Have a good Wednesday Take Care God Bless Lovely graphic you have made up there.Take Care God Bless kath
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

glad you got to see an old friend from school. sorry your sisters news isnt better and will pray it gets better next time. lemon huh that sounds good with sugar on it. as far as taking that day off I think it was meant to be. wihtout a doubt !!!!!!!! GOSH I wish it had been all good But i hear its slow progress and IM glad you held up for your sister

Anonymous said...

Iam so pleased you met Jimmy and he was able to give you some comfort ,just at the time you needed it most ,..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

YA KNOW WHAT, even when you are having an off day..reading your journal brings a smile to my face.It's like talking to an old friend. people may come for the graphics but they leave knowing you are a caring and loving person.I'll continue to send out prayers for your sister.(I still think you and Jimmy ought to be a couple.....)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your sisters news. She is still in my prayers. So glad to hear that you ran into Jimmy....he really seem like a great friend.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Donna
Your pictures from the marina are beautiful!  I'm glad you happened on a friend to lend some timely support.  I am so sorry that it was not all positive news about your sister.  

I envy your ability to be able to take some time of during the summer.  That is not an option available to me since summer is our busiest time of the year.  Enjoy this time off and get refreshed.  You deserve it!
Sam

Anonymous said...

Awwww, I do hope your sister will get better.  Nice that you found a friend to share with.  Linda

Anonymous said...

Oh Donna, please know I still have your sister in my prayers & light candles for her. Also have you & entire family in prayers.
God bless,
Sugar
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/INHISNAME/

Anonymous said...

Even with the sad news you've made me smile.  Your pictures are fantastic!  I am glad Jimmy was there to help hold you up, get you through a rough spot.  Good friends are treasures!  I'm sorry the news wasn't all good, but the Dr. seems to be ok with it.  Stay strong.  I am sending prayers.

Anonymous said...

I will make special prayers for your sister Donna, please can you send me her name.  God bless her. There has been so much news of this dread disease this year.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Your beautiful writing has me in tears.  Over sisters and friendships and life.  Blessings to you.
Traci

Anonymous said...

Prayers for your sister hun
Hugs
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

((((((((((Donna)))))))))) I sat here with tears streaming down my face. You have so much worry in you for your sister and are always there for her thinking of her, but inside I know you are hurting and have to let go of some of those emotions. I am so glad your friend was there to hold you and let you get rid of some of those emotions. Yes, it is hard trying to cope with a loved one having cancer, believe me I know. My family tried so hard to hide their fears and emotions from me when I was dealing with cancer, but I could see through it. I knew they were scared. As I can tell through your words you are scared. Just be there for your sister, let her know you love her and most of all be positive around her. It will help her alot to see this and help you also. Enjoy your girls day out on friday. It will do you good to be around all those you love. I will keep your sister and yourself in prayers. I'm going over to light another candle for her. I think the last one is about gone by now.
Love,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Donna~Prayers are sent up from her for your sister's healing; I know it must've been so disappointing not to here she was cancer free--but keep praying you could still have your dream come true.
I identified with you out shooting nature to feel FAITH; I do that too. Well, my dear, do take care. Great job on your summer collage! I hope the Gremlins took some of those papers away last night...;-) Deb

Anonymous said...

Wow D, what an entry! I agree with someone else who's commented. That was like watching a movie or something. I'm so glad that Jimmy was there when you needed him. God works in mysterious ways right? I mean, what were the chances of that? I hope and pray for better times babes, really I do! *BIG HUGS*

Love you loads
xxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

"Sweet" entry...in more ways than one.

Love,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

D-I am so sorry about the news for your sister, and I know it makes you sad and hurt...I do...I will continue to be much in prayer for her and your family.

He does hear everything, we just need to learn it is in His time.....not ours unfortunately.

Michele
http://journals.aol.com/glensfork4/these-are-my-thoughts/

Anonymous said...

Your sis is a brave lady her strength is shining through, I am glad your friend was there when you needed him. Everytime i have a shake i think of you and your sis and my prayers and thoughts go to her and yourself. You do not need to be in a church to pray lol middle of Mac Ds will do. Your pics are lovely
love and hugs
Katie

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing when God sends in his Angels when comfort is needed! Knowing the amazing spirit and faith, strength and strong wills of you and your sister, this WILL become a victory! My prayers, as well as positive thoughts go up everyday! Keep the candles lite and the faith strong! May your today become brighter than your yesterday! Take care of you and yours, my friend!
Katie
http://journals.aol.com/ktkamanski/HappyBeingMe/

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not...your entry made me cry...I was so hoping and praying for Good news for your sister....I am glad you came across a friend who would listen to you...I believe he was a God send....
I hope your days off bring you renewed strength and peace....
take care
-Ellie

Anonymous said...

I will include your sister in my prayers ....hugs

Mari

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures to go with some beautiful words.  Words in which made me tear up too.  I'm sorry you're in this situation with you sister right now.  I can only imagine how hard it must be.  I lost one of my best friends from cancer right after we graduated H.S., and I still miss him every day.  As you talked about your friend Jimmy coming up to you and hugging you, I imagined my friend Tim that I lost.  He was that kind of friend to me, and I could totally picture myself in that scene...maybe that's why it made me tear up.  (((HUGS)))

~Tiffany

Anonymous said...

This entry had me in tears, Donna.  

It's wonderful that your sister is keeping such a positive attitude.  That's half the battle.  I understand the need for good news though...believe me, I do.

Oh, and now you have me craving donuts.  :)

Much Love,
Bridgett

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I'm keeping your sister in my prayers and you too.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

So sorry your sis didn't get the results you all wanted. You must be so proud of her and the way she is handling what must be a terrifying situation. Off the light another candle for you and her.
Debbie
xxx

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

You are such a sweetie...I know your sister appreciated the donut and shake...I know I would...hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

I'll keep your sis in my thoughts and prayers.  Oh how I love Dunkin Donuts!

Anonymous said...

Special thoughts for your sister....
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

well i for one know that Jimmy showed up at that second for a reason, my friend. I have your sister in prayer.
love,lisa

Anonymous said...

Donna, I read this entry last night, it broke my heart, I couldn't bring myself to respond. I could vision my lil sis in your sis, my tears in your tears. I choked back tears so many times until I walked out her door to catch my breath just for a few hours, she knew my heart was broken, yet, she always kept that positive attitude no matter what was thrown in her path.  I too, was blessed with angels here on earth to hug me, give me strength to go on, and let me cry to my hearts content. Our tears are our stepping stones as we walk this journey with our loved ones. Prayers for you, your sister, and your family as you walk this journey of love together.
Hugs,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h