Saturday, September 6, 2008

~ Chili ~

 


 


 




 

............ Sauce!  I always know when fall is upon us.  My Mom goes and gets the ingredients and it is time to make chili sauce.  When I was little my parents did the slicing and dicing on the back patio and the old cast iron stove in the basement was used to cook it down.  The smell would completely engulf the house.   When they moved years and years ago to the last house the stove was taken apart and moved to just for that purpose but it was hooked up in the garage.   This move, well the stove went but it's at my sisters house.  They have a regular gas stove in the garage. 

 

It's always been a some what family affair.  Who ever is available goes and helps with the peeling and grinding.  I'm pretty useless with the onions.  After a couple my eyes burn and the tears keepme from seeing.  My sister wears contacts and she swears they keep her from having the normal effects.  I have to believe her as she whips through them.   I can remember times my sister Pat (bless her soul) would wear swimming goggles to try and avoid the tears.  It didn't work!

 

We got the onions and tomatoes done and ground.  My sister and Mom wore gloves to clean and grind the HOT red and green peppers.   As they stood in the garage I could smell the hot.  My sister is smiling so big in the one picture because she told me to put the camera down and get a knife!   Dad, he supervised and helped a bit with the grinding out on the patio.  Once every thing was cleaned, peeled, and ground up off it went to big pot to start the 'cook down'.   Mom got the rest of the seasoning into the mixture then put the all spice in an old cloth to be added to the mixture.  The cook down takes several hours.  The all spice stays in the cloth so you get the flavor and not the stems, seeds, etc.  By the time I left the garage smelled awesome!   Their chili sauce is hot but we all love it.  I use it in spaghetti sauce, and chili. I've been known to season steaks with it, and I use it on hot dogs as a condiment.  My Mom tells me my Grandfather would eat it out of bowl with crackers.  Now that I could NOT do... too hot!  I so wish I could get the smell on this here blog.....  and off my hands.  All I can smell is onions on my hands.....LOL

 

I hope everyone is doing good and staying safe and some what dry.  We had a bit of rain, but nothing like down south is getting.  Tomorrow is a big day...  football season starts.  Ok, well it started on Thursday when the Giants beat the skins.  The Bills play tomorrow and will be testing their skills against the Seahawks.  I've heard there are few injuries but hopefully it will be to our advantage.  It's been way to long since we had a winning season.

 

Hugs

~d

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that is a huge pot of chili!!  Looks very tasty

Have a great Sunday

Anonymous said...

Homemade chili sounds sooooooooooooo good. I just taught myself how to make it from scratch this last year and now my family loves it when I make it :)

Thans, now I am hungry for a bowl with cornbread, sourcream and cheddar cheese on top LOL

Anonymous said...

I bet that stuff is soooo good that it would grow back missing limbs.  Does she can this stuff?  Sounds wonderful....I wish you could that smell on here too.  I'd love to have a sniff & then a taste too.  Mmmmm

I'm not a sports fan, but I wish your team the best!!!

Hugs,
Hollie

Anonymous said...

oh wow my daddy made a huge thing of chili sauce for me last weekend to bring home with me...a sort of good bye gift.
I just love that smell and the family all putting their 2 cents in to help make it.

you might have to send me some of your sauce one day.lol

be blessed,
april

Anonymous said...

When will you be sending me some of this chili?  LOL  Sounds so good.  Have a happy Sunday and hope your Bills win.  Luv ya!

Allison

Anonymous said...

Oh Yummy.  It is definately getting to be that time of year.  Send me some please.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Yum..yum..yummy..I can smell it! I cook with lots of onion..yep they are tear jerkers but so well worth it! I don't make chili sauce but I did make a pot of homemade chili today with fresh tomatoes that a friend gave us & it was in the 80's here. Something about September just does it to ya, lol. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Hugs
Debbie

Anonymous said...

I wish you could get the smell off your hands and onto this blog, too.... = )

Joann

Anonymous said...

Donna, that sounds fabulous. It was fun to see all the pictures of you and your family cooking!

Funny that you mentioned this, because I was thinking today, "Ooo, it's about time for a big pot of chili!" Sounds like it's on everyone's mind now that the weather is getting cooler!

Tomorrow evening, my team (Colts) and Ken's team (Bears) play. Should be a fun game! Yikes! ;)

Beth
http://journals.aol.com/luvrte66/nutwoodjunction/

Anonymous said...

    Tip for carving onions: Take wooden matches and place one in each corner of your mouth, wood end in, and sulfur tip out. Supposedly the sulfur absorbs the onion fumes that causes eyes to water. It works for me. I learned it at Girl Scout camp when I was little.
     I also hear that lemon juice will remove those veggie smells from hands.
    There's nothing like chili in the fall.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/Jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

Sounds good! I wonder if tooth paste used like soap would get that onion odor out. Works great on fishy hands when you get through cleaning them. Helen

Anonymous said...

I have a gas stove and always cut my onions next to a lit burner and never have any problems with the smell. I love chili and you're right it's almost that time. I love homemade veggie soup too. My kids are spoiled and have to have homemade pimento cheese to go along with.
I think it's great that everyone comes and helps. My family was that way too, but I don't live by them anymore.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

Donna
Now, that looks and sounds delicious.  I love these joint type family projects, filled with tradition.  I'm sure everyone in your family equates those cooking aromas from this sauce with fall.  I'd love to try some of this!
Sam

Anonymous said...

The chili sauce making process looks like a great excuse to be with family...loved seeing the pics and i can bet it does taste divine too. XOXO

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Now that looks like fun and reminds me of the 'group' canning we used to do.  

Anonymous said...

I always seem to read about food when I am hungry..LOL   All looked good, yum! And for sure good family time!  Yes, our Redskins lost...so sad here!  Don't know what to do with those guys...
Have a great week...hugs and love,
joyce

Anonymous said...

Donna that looked like a lot of fun ~ Loved the pictures ~ Heres hoping your Football team does well ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

It sounds wonderful!  I would love to try some. Linda

Anonymous said...

Ok, give up the recipe! I love the pictures and want the sauce! Dannelle

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))I love th pics and I wish I could smell the Chilli,I love Chilli,I love to put Fritos in it.Have a good Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Brings back memories, D!  Our family used to make chili sauce, tomato sauce, etc.  My mom still grinds her nuts with the old grinder for nut rolls.  Love your rockyou slide!  I just love the songs; so different and unique.  I can almost smell your  sauce simmering....Love ya, Chris

Anonymous said...

Very cool!
Not sure I'd like it because I just can't do 'hot'....but it all sounds fabulous!  
And I love that you make it a family affair.  :)

XOXO,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, I love chili, I'm on my way over !!!!!!! Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

omg now i am sitting here wanting nacho chips and some of that chili sauce, lol. it looks delicious. Eagles playing at 1pm, wooohooooo. (((((((hugs))))))))
Love,
Cindy xoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Yum!  It looks so good....

I'm with you...my eyes tear up big time with onions

Enjoy the sauce =)

Hugs
Terri

Anonymous said...

OHHHHHHH how yummy it looks!!!!
love the pictures looks like it was a fun day
~Marina

Anonymous said...

The chili sauce sounds good (I like it hot, Beth does not :o)  A great family tradition you have.

Anonymous said...

Honey, as one who won't go near an onion, green pepper, or tomato......I'm taking the fifth as to what I think that sauce looks like!!!! LOL! But, my hubby just went by and said "now THAT is what I call cooking"!!!!! <VBG> He wanted to know what time you're serving, and to let you know he'll bring the bread :)
I'm glad you have such a great time making it though....what awesome memories you all will have of that sauce, and each time you use it, not only does it taste wonderful to you, but the smell helps enhance the taste by the very images it brings to mind....happy times with those you love.

Love & Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

D. would love it if you would share your recipe.  Have a huge garden--mostly tomotoes and green peppers, so am interested in all types of tried and true tomato recipes.  Despite all the tomato cooking/canning my companion does, my taste buds watered as I watched your pics and read your entry.  Sounds so good!....LaVern

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious!!! I make Tony do the onion cutting...I can't stand it.


Michele

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

ISn't that funny? We usually never make Chili until Halloween night....marking our Fall soups, etc.....
Angel