Wednesday, September 3, 2008

~ Saying Good Bye ~

                    Aud.jpg picture by 55hockeyfan


On my way home from work I stopped by to grab some pictures of Buffalo Memorial Auditorium.  It is being torn down.  Originally they said Oct., but I noticed on my way in some of the outside walls are being ripped apart.  I was hoping to get better shots, but the fence is up keeping folks away and you can't see through it :(

 

The 'Aud' as we lovingly called it was opened in 1940.  It cost $2,700,000 and seated about 12,000 and maybe 3,000 more if they used the floor.  (The postcard picture was found on the net, and gives you an idea of the original)  Can you imagine if we could get away with building a new arena for that now?  No way!  You can add several more 0's on the end.  It held many a sporting event, concerts, circuses, you name it.  It was also set as a war memorial for the Spanish-American War.

 

                        Aud1.jpg picture by 55hockeyfan

 

In 1970 it was renovated and the roof was raised to add more seats.  The cost, $8.7 million.  The infamous 'orange' seats were added and the capacity was raised to about 18,000.  The increase in seats made it more suitable for my beloved Sabres and our NBA team the Buffalo Braves (now the LA Clippers)

 

Aud2.jpg picture by 55hockeyfan

 

The 'Aud' was closed in 1996 and the Sabres moved to their new home now known as the HSBC Arena.  The building remained standing and was basically not used at all.  Occasionally, the local theatre,  Studio Arena used the floor area to create backdrops for their shows.  There had been talk about Bass Pro coming in and using the building for their store.  It was decided it would be cheaper to tear it down then try to renovate it once again to be used for that purpose.  As it stands now there is no definite plan for Bass Pro, just rumors and talk.  No doubt that political red tape and bull shit once again.  I won't even go there now.

 

As I stood in the street taking pictures of the main entrance I got a lump in my throat.  The memories that place holds.  I remember going the Braves games with my father.  My first concert there, Boston.  So many there after.  Of course my Sabre games.  Waiting outside the garage door where the players parked waiting to get a glimpse, an autograph, a picture.  I do have many, and I mean I HAVE them.  LOL  If I did now what I did then I would surely be arrested for stalking or something.  Poor Danny Gare LMAO... the love of my life in my young teen years.  I did an entry about it when they retired his number and hung his jersey from the rafters.

 

After high school I went to so many events there.  A good friend worked there selling souvenirs and programs.  She had already been working there for years.  I would dress in dark blue pants and a white blouse, the uniform of the time and meet her in the parking lot.  We'd walk in together and security just assumed I worked there.  Those were the days.........   something like that would NOT be allowed to happen now.  The basketball team was gone, but we had indoor soccer, my boys, and concerts.  All for free.  I didn't always have a seat, but I had a view.  Styx, Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, The Eagles... the list goes on and on. 

 

It won't be long and it will be gone.  Lower Terrace will be missing a piece of me, but the memories will live forever.

hugs

~d

 

PS I left the partial crane on purpose, it's what showed above the fence .............

 

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always sad to say goodbye to the memories we hold dear but there are always good memories to make starting today and into tomorrow.  Someday we will all be a memory to someone and hopefully a good one like that arena.

Allison

Anonymous said...

You gotta see Fleetwood Mac..I am soooooo jealous!
Hugs
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Another Icon bites the dust :o(

Anonymous said...

Ya it does stink that they are tearing it down.  My first concert was there also in 1983ish...Brian Adams.. I was 12.  Went to many things there ..hockey games.. concerts and of course the circus lol.  I will miss it for sure.  Take care

Kris

Anonymous said...

No doubt to be replaced by some faceless Wall Mart or another boring building.
Gaz

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

We are getting a new arena here ....all the red tape has slowed building of the areana

Have a great Thursday

Anonymous said...

Gone forever soon Donna but they cannot take away your wonderful memories.I hate old buildings being demolished.They were going to demolish our old theatre but when  the townsfolk  protested they restored  it up as a market hall inside on the outside walls they placed very large picure frames Weatherproof and vandalproof of course and residents of the area take along old photographs to be placed inside these.Have a great day Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.ao.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

It is very sad to see old historical buildings be demolished to make way for the new.  Our Maple Leaf Gardens has sat empty for many years, I heard the other day they were proceeding to turn it into a Loblaws Super Store, but at the last minute it was put on hold and no one seems to know why.  If they tore that building down, I would feel exactly as you do with the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium.  They cant tear away the memories which you have so many of.  God bless.

Anonymous said...

I think it is so sad when they tear historic buildings down.  What a pity that another use could not have been found for it.  

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

I disagree with the thinking that tearing down historic monuments only to build newer ones is called progress.  I'm sad with you for this one.

Thanks for the pictures.  I love looking at architecture on any building.  It's a shame it's not appreciated for the art form it is anymore.

I can just imagine you 'stalking' for autographs. lol  Good for you.  I'm glad you have so many treasures.  I wish I was as bold as you sometimes.


NELISHIA
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Prayingandbelieving/
Private Journal

Anonymous said...

Very sad to see any old historial building demolised, especialy as one built as
a memorial..............................................Johnmichael

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean....when they tore down the "old" comiskey park and put up the new one is was heartbreaking.....but before that they took down the old stadium (and I can't for the life of me remember the name at the moment) where the Blackhawks used to play......so sad.....memories upon memories though....


Michele

Anonymous said...

Awww...I've never even been there and it puts a lump in my throat.  
Awhile back, my hometown lost an old country store that had been in business since the early 1900's.  It was there my whole life....and it burned down thanks to some delinquents trying to steal cigarettes.  :(

My hometown just doesn't look the same without that store on the corner.  So I do know how you feel.

XOXO,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

I hate when beautiful buildings are torn down.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Would it have been such an ordeal to restore and coninue using that beautiful building?  So sad.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

:(  sigh.... it is always so sad to see old buildings torn down.  I just hate it!

~Rosemary

Anonymous said...

What a nice memory and how sad to see the place go.  In my youth from birth to about 15, we attended a church in our city.  It was a huge old brick and mortar building, some parts updated.  The pipe organ was world-famous.  Many years later, I returned to the city to take a woman to her new home and heard the pipe organ playing mid-day.  My heart went back to a simpler time and I walked a few blocks to see it again.  In its place was a brand-new modern building!  The 1971 earthquake had demolished it, but my memories, as yours, will remain.  Blessings, Penny  http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere

Anonymous said...

Awww, how sad.  You do have a lot of memories of this place.  My teen would be excited if they were going to put up a Bass Pro.  That is his all time favorite store.  He can spend hours in there!

Hugs,
Hollie

Anonymous said...

Isnt it sad to see such an important part of your life ripped down like that ,all those memorys will stay though ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Donna
So many memories, I know you will miss the old place.  Great job with the PICS.  It is truly sad when landmarks from our youth get torn down for "Progress."  I'm not always convinced progress is achieved with the demolition of the grand old buildings.  Thanks for sharing these memories with us.
Sam

Anonymous said...

It's a shame when these old relics of our youth have to be torn down to make way for modern architecture and progress.  (now I sound like my dad -- LOL)  The thoughts and memories come flooding back and we get a bit melancholy even though we know ...

Anonymous said...

What a shame.

Anonymous said...

That is so sad...
Hugs..and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

I love reading about your beloved arena being torn down....i love local history and i could gobs of stories like this one of how our city just tears down HISTORY instead of caring enough to keep it. LOVE YOU.

Anonymous said...

... what I remember about the Buffalo Braves ..?  Bob McAdoo ..!  I have for some strange reason, always followed cats from Carolina ...

... is the Aud where they had that hockey game in the fog ..?  It was the Flyers (I think) ... anyway ... just ramble as thoughts pop into my head ..!

Anonymous said...

I just hate it when they tear down landmarks that mean something to the town.   Just seems a shame...I know it doesn't take away the memories, but it kinda feels like it does.  
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Hold on to the memories.

Free concerts? I would soooo be there...
You've seen some great ones

Hugs
Terri

Anonymous said...

    That's exactly how we felt when they tore down Comiskey Park. There were so many memories. It was one of the first big baseball stadiums ever. It was built sometime in the early 20th century. The Beatles played their during their very first tour in America. There were so many games and so many concerts. There was Disco Demolition. That's when a couple of disk jockeys from a rock station invited people to bring disco records to the Comiskey as payment for their tickets. They took the records, and I do mean records, and piled them in the middle of the diamond and blew them up. The kids in the audience got so excited, they rioted.
    When they built the new Comiskey, it wasn't the same. The top level is so high it's terrifying. The only years it sold out even partially was when the Sox went to the World Series and the following year. Just too damned high. When Cellular One bought it, it was very easy for us to make the change from Comiskey to the Cell. It didn't have the same memories.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay