Thursday, January 19, 2006

Frustration.........

                                        


We've all seen the funny joke emails about customer service calls.  You know the ones, my cup holder on my computer is broken. My monitor won't work, yes it is plugged in, but I have no power and the window is on the other side of the room and it is too dark in here to see if it came lose.  We've all also heard the horror stories about calling in for tech support and getting someone who doesn't speak English etc.  


Today was my turn.  Argh!!!  I turned on my computer and McAfee started looking for updates.  It looked and looked and then stopped and showed me a blank window that soon turned to 'page cannot be displayed.'  I shut down rebooted and tried again.  Same thing.  I went to their site, logged in as a registered user, and had them check my system.  No issues were detected but I still could not get any updates.  I went to their live support and waited 15 minutes for a chat.  The rep asks how he can help and I start by asking if they are having issues.  No response so I proceed to tell the issues I am having.  He responds asking me for my registration information so he can verify.  Hello??? I had to log in!!!???   So I give it to him.  He comes back and asks about the error message I am getting.  I again go over the process of what I experienced.  He then tries to confirm and gets it wrong so I repeat it.  He asks about my Internet settings and pop up blockers.  I ask what that has to do with it as I have not changed the settings in the 9 months that I've been running it.  He proceeds to tell me I have to have the settings this way in order for the updates to work.  I again say the settings haven't changed since I've been running the program and is this something new?  He tells me no.  So again, I tell him I've never had the problem in over 9 months and did he inquire if they themselves are having issues.  It takes a second and then he replies telling me yes they are having issues.  WTF?!  Fifteen minutes waiting to talk to him, twenty minutes of nonsense conversation when he simply could have answered the question off the bat.  Instead, we went round and round and some other poor soul was probably waiting the twenty minutes to ask the same freakin question!  It's no wonder my eyes are rolling in my head!!  What a waste of time................

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it crazy the humor that can come out of some mishap that takes place in our day and really makes us want to pull our hair out.  Then when someone like me comes along and reads about this fustrating situation actually can find it quite comical while reading.  Not that it was in any way funny at the time.  But, it sure made for a great read. lol.  enjoyed this entry.  TerryAnn.  http://journals.aol.com/GoinCrazy/

Anonymous said...

Donna
Thnis would be a lot funnier if I had not had the same type of experience with a service provider myself.  I do sympathize with you, LOL!
Sam

Anonymous said...

I always buy my disk as I am on cable also and yes the 06 version has some snags. I first bought the disk and installed it and it wouldn't run a scan all the way. I took the disk back and got a refund and then paid another fee to download it and it still won't run a full scan. It gets to a certain point and hangs up and won't go any further and hangs up my whole computer and I have to shut it off with the on and off switch. Thanks for your into. Now I know it's not in my computer. Helen

Anonymous said...

I called AOL once because of a problem with the journal, with the sentances being huge.  They coulden't figure it out, I figured it out for them.  They were trying to say it was my font size, turned out it was a link I had put in!  Linda

Anonymous said...

35 minutes of your life that you'll never get back. All to tell you what you already known. Customer service... HA!


Jimmy

Anonymous said...

I delelted McAfee off my p.c cos it was causing too many problems; just sticking with good old Norton....better the devil you know!!!

Anonymous said...

makes you wonder about any so called "support".. ummm hey fella's wanna train them first??  thank you very much!

I had a horror story from "support".. long ago thankfully.. had a "tech" direct me to delete some "dll" files... just in case you don't know.. NEVER EVER delete dll files!!  they only run "everything"!.. that caused aol and windows to crash.. nice huh?

Anonymous said...

Love the animation!!
Thats exactly how I've been feeling lately!
Marie

Anonymous said...

Does WTF mean what I think it means ,if so with the scenario you just described ,very apt ,if it was'nt so frustrating this ,is a funny entry ,not laughing at you ,just the way you put it over lol ............Jan xx

Anonymous said...

He/She is lucky you were not in the same room with them and holding a
Hockey Stick.............
Check this Pal......................

Anonymous said...

Oh my god I hope you told him what you think of him - what a muppet!!

Anonymous said...

I had problems the same day.  Supposedly an update was downloaded and was then installing.....and installing......and installing..........  I finally just shut down and rebooted.  It was *still* trying to install the same update.  It was late, so I just turned everything off and went to bed.  The next day it was fine.
Lori