Thursday, August 3, 2006

It's Not a Fantasy

.....AOL is now free for those bringing there own carrier.  I know several folks who called and got the same answers as I did but I did my change through Live Tech Support.  Apparently I had a much quicker response time as those calling had to wait a good 40-45 minutes on the hold before talking to someone (with limited English no doubt.)  I was taken care of in less then 15 give or take a few.  (and I had no accent)There seems to be a lot of folks inquiring or changing.  To get to live tech, go to keyword: billing  Once you give your 'code' you can select live tech for billing.

 

Here is what I found out. 

If you have your own carrier there will be no charge.  You cannot dial in using the AOL software, but have access to everything but tech support.  Your mail is not effected.  There is no limit on how much mail you can get or how much you can store.  (I've had issues with storing when I paid so I sure as hell will not store now that I'm not!) 

Journals are not effected in anyway.  (They took care of that back in November when they added the advertisements.)  Your FTP/File Manager has not changed you will still get the same storage amount.  If you need to reinstall the software there will be no issues with getting your username.  There will be no issues with getting favorites or address book. (Or should I say, no more issues then the paying customer)  There are no charges for canceling or changing no matter what your term was for.  IE if you had to commit to 12 months to get a certain price all fees for ending early are waived.  If you are in the middle of your billing cycle you will be charged until that months cycle is up, no pro-rate for what has not been used.  If you subscribe to premium or additional services you will still be charged for those or you need to cancel them.  I don't have any so I am not sure if there is a charge for canceling that. 

 

Needless to say, I am free!  Like the butterflies I am free!  If I encounter any issues I will be sure to let you know, but for now I can live without the 'tech support.' 

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna,
Thank you for this entry and all the information you have provided. I was especially concerned about the mail because of psp.
Hugs,
Dianna

Anonymous said...

if you are free-how do you get on the internet? and how do you get into aol then??i have dial-up.

Anonymous said...

I cant wait to be free...lol

Anonymous said...

All this talk about them waiving any commitments you made makes me wonder if they want any customers at all! I think I'll hang on till they're offering large sums of money to get rid of us! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

I enquired and apparently its just for America ,ours wont change ,but very grateful for all your info ,at least you put it in language we can understand .......Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Donna
Thanks for the update!  I did not have time to call myself, so this is just the information I was looking for.  I can't wait to be free, too!
Sam

Anonymous said...

Oh so cool.  Didn't have time to get into it when I got the e-mail but I'll find some time to go to live tech support soon.  Code?  I wonder, do I remember it?  Thanks D!

Anonymous said...

Oh...boy...I am gonna get me some free too....whoooo...hooooo!!!!! TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

thank you for this straight forward answer!!!
HUGS,lisa

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Thanks Donna!  I learned more from your entry than I did from the AOL overlorde  :)

Vivian

Anonymous said...

Its been awhile since I been here. So now that you are "free", which service do you have. I forgot that the three year anniversary is coming up.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderful graphics.... I am an AOL blogger who also moved my blog, and I did an entry letting those on Blogspot who are from AOL know about the celebration and your great graphics and I added you to my AOL journals list and would like to add you to my Blogger journals list.... Tawnya

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Beautiful graphic! Congratulations on this beautiful art!
I called AOL and was served within 10 minutes..... I found out that I have been on the 0 plan already...... lol....just never paid attention to it... I am so bad....LOL Hugs, Maria

Anonymous said...

Ah Dear Donna!
please tell us which service as a carrier you prefer
natalie

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I would just like to talk to a live tech. on how to get rid of things that i dont want on my pc