Sunday, September 17, 2006

Nightmare!!!

... and no pun intended!  Today was the absolute pits!  I logged on this morning as I normally do and made the rounds.  I started my morning entry and was typing away when I noticed the screen jump a tad.  Ok, so I moved and shook the desk.  Next thing I know my keystrokes are like molasses.  I am no speed typer by any stretch of the imagination, but I am faster then what I was seeing.  Not paying much attention to the screen at this point I check my keyboard.  God only knows I've laughed so hard recently I have spit some water.  And I know I've hit the keyboard at least once, so I thought maybe something was sticky.  Picked it up, turned it over, shook the hell out of it.  Nothing came out.  I blew in it to get any loose particles.  Nothing.  It's then I notice I am not even connected to AOL.  I always type my entries in mail and then I can save if need be.  Good thing I do!  I addressed it to myself and selected send later.  I shut down and tried to log back on only to notice that I had no cable connection.  My cable modem was still lit like a sparkling Christmas tree so I shut down the whole computer, did the manual reset of the modem and booted back up.  Damn it!  Nothing.  Cable was still on TV so after about 30 minutes I called to see what was up. 

 

'Not sure Ma'am, we are all down.  Shouldn't be too long, but if you don't have a connection by tomorrow call us back.'

 

'TOMORROW!  Umm, ok... I hope it isn't that long!'

 

What could I do.  Surely it wouldn't take an entire day.  He was saying that because he didn't know what the issue was.  No biggie I got a few things to do and/or can do.  Look at the modem and lights are still flashing.  I scratch my head and walk away.  Do a few odds & ends, make a graphic, turn the football game on.  Again, checking modem lights.  Still on.  Hmmmmm but no Internet?  Argh!! 

 

It's been about 2 hours now and still nothing.  Oh what the hell, I call again.  Thinking maybe it's back up and my modem has issues since it was showing I was connected and had a connection, but I wasn't.

 

'Ma'am a truck hit telephone pole and knocked down the cable.  We are all down.  Almost as far east as Rachacha, down past Erie PA and parts of Ohio.'

 

'Really?  One line and you lose that much?  Shit,  I don't know much about cable etc, but that is a huge area!  Can't believe there is no way to re-route'

 

'I know Ma'am, I agree.  Good thing there is not a major emergency.  It's sad.'

 

'Any idea when it will be up?'

 

'No Ma'am, they are working on it, but they also have to do electric and phone.'

 

'Ok, thanks.  Have fun with the calls. Snickering as I hang up'

 

Watch more football, flip channels.  Realize now why I don't watch TV, there is nothing on!!!   Argh!!  More time passes and the guys words haunt me like the grim reaper.  'good thing there is not a major emergency.'   No emergency???  Does he not realize I am getting bored?  I'm in a cold sweat?  My heart is beating and racing like a freight train?  No emergency my ass!   I knew I was missing chat.  Really not a big deal as I knew I wouldn't be missed, but hell, I promised and I hate breaking promises.  OMG!  mail, it will be bouncing!!  Sunday is a huge day for group mail and I knew as I watched the freaking blinking lights, that apparently mean nothing, my mailbox was rapidly filling up.  I get the brown paper bag and breath.  It will be alright I tell myself.  I watch the bag expand and contract.  Breath Donna breath!  It will be ok.

 

I get comfy on the couch and stare blankly at the TV, still nothing on!  Yeah football but I don't watch it, I listen.  So I lay down and try to relax.  Oh, yeah that is working!  Look and now I only have one light blinking.  Ohhhhhhhhh  maybe........ just maybe...  sweats start again, I get the shakes.  Oh shit!   Two more hours before I actually get a connection.   Jump on... OMG over 400 pieces of mail.  I sift through it and get rid of so much.  I will probably be sorry for skipping/deleting so many graphics but I didn't feel like going through all of it.  I cherry picked. 

 

Guess what?  Bored again!  Did the mail, or most of it.  Deleted here and there.  Commented on a few entries.  Did my searches for some information I needed.  And now I'm bored.  It's late on a Sunday night and things are slow.  

 

Ok, I will fess up.  I exaggerated.  I really didn't freak out as bad as I say, so sorry for that.  No ill will towards anyone was meant.   Withdrawal?  You betcha!  I'm addicted to this freaking box and the WWW.  I know so many of you can relate.  It's one thing to not come on line, or have other things to do.  We all do.  It's another thing to not be able to.  No control yourself, you just can't.  I've got an addictive personality to an extent and a routine I go through.  I am not happy when it gets interrupted.  I hate monkey wrenches in my life, even if it is something so minor.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I hope tomorow is a better day for you............

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I so hate when I can't get on line....and i know what ya mean about with draws.LOL.  I missed the chat too....I had my neice over and we all went to the zoo...glad you are back on line..Hugs,TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

no internet? omg i go through big time withdrawls when i can't get on line. Loved the story though. glad your back on line. ((((hugs))))
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Goodness gracious Donna!!  You certainly have had a "crappy" weekend, huh?  Sorry you missed out on the chat, that must have made having no internet even worse, knowing it was going on and you couldn't join in!  Glad it's fixed now.....your graphic is good, but scary! (ha)  It would be good for Halloween, huh?

Take Care,
~Bilinda~

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Donna!   Seems to be working ok here in SEattle now...
Maria

Anonymous said...

I AGREE 100%! I GO INTO WITHDRAWAL IF I DO NOT HAVE INTERNET CONNECTION! LOL
LOVE YA,
CARLENE

Anonymous said...

I get those symptons when I an't get online, which happily doesn't happen too often although I am kicked off quite frequently I do get straight back on! Bit like riding s horse and falling off, you have to get back on it they say! Lol! I hope that cable's fixed for good and they don't have to do more work on it. Had a funny image of you shaking your keyboard! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

i have never did a chat like we had yesterday.....but it was cool....i was like a baby because i do not remember how to chat......and yes you were missed, by me. I had no idea what was going on. I am as addicted as you are. If i am offline 24 yrs, i have over 1000 emails and the bouncing begins.
As you know, i had cable and internet problems on Thurs and Fri. Damn technology.
XO lisa

Anonymous said...

I was going to come to the chat but slept through it, still sick.  YOU were going to be hunted for by ME if I'd have made it.  Please keep me informed of the next J-Land chat and what are group emails that you mentioned?  I am so addicted to this blogging and my j-land friends.  I can't seem to catch up on all my alerts as I've been away for a few days just sick and not paying much attention.  Glad it's back cause YOU WERE missed by many I am sure.
Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/WISHINGANDHOPING/

Anonymous said...

Yes Donna I can relate ,you put it so well ,when you say  ',to not be able to ', THROUGH NO FAULT OF OUR OWN GRRRR ,.,.,.Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Oh Donna I just loved this entry ~ can imagine you having "Cold Turkey" not being able to get on line ~ Hope that cable is fixed for good ~ don't want you going through that again lol ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean,if i dont get my daily fix of moaning on my blog i have dire withdrawl...i turn normal,xxzoexx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/DomesticAbuse/

Anonymous said...

How dependant we all are on the Internet and stuff these days - pity you couldn't be there last night, but you're fully excused. See you next month!

Anonymous said...

Donna
I wondered why your name wasn't appearing on the buddy list last night.  I missed most of the chat myself, but caught a few minutes before the last few signed off.  Sorry for the bad luck with your cable, but glad you are back up and running again.
Sam

Anonymous said...

I Feel your Pain!! When we moved and I was without computer access for almost 2 months I had withdrawal BIG time. I don't post every day now that I have access... heck, I might not even turn the computer on all day... but it's MY choice. Iagree, it's not the access, it's not having the choice! <g>
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind
http://adventuresofaneclecticmind.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,
Knew you wouldn't be missed indeed... WHERE WERE YOU lol !!! Was beginning to get worried, rang Steve and asked him if you were out or something because I hadn't seen your name on my buddy list for hours.
The main thing is, you're back with us now, thank goodness.
Hope the game went well. Did you win ?
HATE to be without my pc now. It's my lifeline to sanity. lol !!
Glad you're back.
Love n hugs Pat   x x x

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back!  I know what you mean.  I absolutely HAVE to start my day with coffee and journals.  Addicted...YEP!
Love the graphic you made for this entry.  Very appropriate!!
Pam

Anonymous said...

Know how you felt-"it's mine and I want it syndrome",LOL
Loved your version  of a nervous breakdown though...ROFL....

~connie~

Anonymous said...

aww Donna! Im so sorry!:(
love you,natalie

Anonymous said...

h