Monday, September 10, 2007

~ 9-11 Remembered ~

DsDesignsRedCross9-11-2007.gif picture by 55hockeyfan


I got up this morning and as I was getting ready for work there was a news story about a Memorial set up at the Red Cross.  I don't work too far from there so I grabbed my camera when I headed out the door.  After work I took a detour and headed over.  As I turned the corner to get to the entrance my eyes filled with tears.  There on the lawn were 3,000 American Flags.  I pulled over in the drive, parked my car and got out.  As I headed towards the lawn I could feel tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat.   Similar to what I have now.  It was so emotional.  On each flag was a red type bow with a name.  Off to the side was a section dedicated to those from the area who perished on that dreadful day.  There pictures displayed, flowers, cards, and bows attached to their flags.   Standing off to the side was an elderly couple.  I could tell by the woman's face one of them was a loved one.  The red eyes, the soft tone, the man holding her arm for support.  My heart felt like it was pulled out of me with a pitch fork.  I dropped my head and said a small prayer.  When I looked up they were walking over to the larger display.  Several people stopped by as I was there.  I made sure I did my pictures some what discreetly and left them to their sorrow, not to intrude.  As I walked back to my car an elderly gentleman with tear stained cheeks and swollen eyes was walking past me.  He strained to smile and softly said 'this is a wonderful tribute, isn't it?'  I felt my eyes fill up as I answered, 'yes.'  As I turned to my car I heard him say, '9-11 remembered.'  I couldn't let it go, 'It will never be forgotten, not ever!'  He blew a kiss and I blew one back.  Funny, when I got in my car I felt much better.  My heart ached but I did feel better some how. 


 

That did not last long.  As I was driving home there was a news conference regarding Kevin Everett, the player who got hurt yesterday.  In case you haven't heard it on your local news.  Things are not looking good.  'Kevin suffered a catastrophic, life threatening injury.  Chances of him walking again are not good'. said the doctor.  I ached for him.  Playing a game he loved and now he may not walk.  He is in intensive care and heavily sedated.  Not an induced coma, but damn close.  More will be known in the next 72 hours.  He did get a chance to talk to his mother before his 4 hour surgery and she was headed to the area from Texas.   Continued prayers for this young man would be appreciated by his family I'm sure.

 

Two horrible events have filled my day.  I hope everyone has a little happiness. 

 

Hugs

~d 

 

PS I know not all those killed were Americans, but it happened in the states, surely the reason for the American flags.

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

beautiful graphic and entry well written. (((((((hugs))))))
Love,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post & tag! {{}}
SUg

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful and touching tribute.  thanks for sharing this.  love your photo.
gina

Anonymous said...

    Truly awsome tribute. I have to work tomorrow and I have no doubt that there will be a lot of comments and prayers offered on behalf of the 9/11 victims. There will never be enough in my lifetime.
    My prayers are with Kevin Everett and his family. And I pray that he comes back from this. Still, this is why I can't watch football. In the past umpteen years, our local high school have seen two players permanently paralized because of accidents that have happened during the game, and have seen four football players pass away. Two of the four who passed died on college fields during practise. It's a hard game.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this Donna ....I did not personally know anyone that died in the 9/11 attacks ...but my mother passed away 6 years ago on 9/10 ...late in the evening prior to the 9/11 attacks...so it fell like I did lose someone

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written!  And I can't believe how badly that Bills player was hurt.  I've been listening to ESPN radio and the prognosis is grim.  Awful.

hugs,
Russ

Anonymous said...

Beautiful entry Donna!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))Just lovly.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute Donna. I was very touched by it.
We sometimes forget those left behind and they surely must be in their hundreds of thousands.   Such sorrow is hard to comprehend.
I'm so sorry to hear the prognosis of the young football player.  Its such a dangerous game!
God Bless all the 911 victims.  
And this young football player too.
Jeanie xx

Anonymous said...

Very nice tribute your city did,and such a touching event with the other mourners,[wiping tears away as I type this]................glad you got photos and shared...........
~C~

Anonymous said...

A beautiful, thoughtful way to remember.  Thank you for taking the pictures and sharing them with us.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful way to remember those lost....love the way you displayed your tribute.  Hope Kevin will be okay...prayers going up for him...hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful memorial. My eyes filled with tears just reading your words.  We are all so very sad today and I think it will always be so on this date.  I will pray for that young man.

Anonymous said...

Awww hun...touching entry. Such a sad picture. I guess the way to look at it, it's been 6 years and we still remember them all. That's what counts. I can' believe it's been 6 years since that day. I was round at my friends house when we saw the news. Awful.

Poor Kevin...I hope he's ok hun. That must've been some injury. Poor guy. Keep us updated wont ya.

Hope you're ok,

Love Jack

xxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

what a nice tribute to those who lost their lives such a short time ago. Beautiful pic/tag you made. Thank you for sharing it with us. I will keep that young man in my prayers.
Love,lisa

Anonymous said...

I thought of you as I heard the news about the football player.  Poor man.  I doubt I'll get to see much about 9/11 today since my girls usually dominate the tv during the day.  Right now they are watching Over the Hedge.  
Such a sad day.
traci

Anonymous said...

Wow, *wiping tears* I got teared up reading this. If i were there i imagine i would be crying just as u did. That was a beautiful tribute. U did a wonderful job with the tag dear very beautiful. When the older man spoke to u and what he said it really got me choaked up more then. This was all just beautiful. I am sititng here right now with candles lit, i said a prayer as i lit each one for all those who lost their lives that tragic moruing. 9-11 never forget. ty for the beautiful entry Donna. Oh and about the football player thats just awful :( I cant imagine what him and his family are all going thru right now. I will keep in my prayers as well. so terrible. Take care Donna, ttys! xoxo, Leslie

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to all the family members who lost someone that day. What a shame that our world is like this  :(

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful momorial.  Linda

Anonymous said...

That was a great tribute, Donna. It's an irrelevance which flag was flown. Someone remembered. That's all that matters.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased you were able to go ...and tell us about it ,We must never forget ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Thank You donna that was very nice

Anonymous said...

Wow... your picture left a lump in my throat... I imagine it was 1000x more powerful in person...
Thank you for posting this.
MJ

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute!  I know there were some people from this area killed, but as far as I know, no real tributes were set up.  

Off to read more about this football player....

XOXO,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

I believe seeing all of those flags would bring me to tears as well. You captured an awesome shot.  It is a somber day indeed.  I am Praying for Kevin, but as you stated it isn't looking too good.
Take care,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute... Linda

Anonymous said...

Tears have filled my eyes, I can't imagine
seeing that in person...a beautiful tribute!

Hugs,
Terri

Anonymous said...

I knew that I would come here and find a touching tribute from you. You never let me down.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute.  I would have loved to seen it.

          Julie

Anonymous said...

Beautiful graphic. Thanks for sharing your experience of this event. Very touching entry! Prayers for those that lost loved ones 9-11. Have a wonderful week with blessings and smiles. Janie

Anonymous said...

The memorial is great. Unfortunatly, I don't know too much about the footballer.
Gaz x

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic tribute D.

I watched the reading of the names over here in the UK......... and i was choked, what an absolute waste of innocent lives :o((

Hugs Jayne