Thursday, December 1, 2005

December Challenge - A Christmas Story

I am not real sure how I heard about The December Challenge, but I heard about it last night and stopped over to see what it was all about.  Ironically, I was working on this graphic and decided I would partake.  Stop by From Here to There to get all the details and join in :)                


                                leglampani.gif    


For those of you that have no idea what this graphic is, or where it is from... SHAME ON YOU!  I can't believe there is a soul out there that hasn't seen this movie, but I know there are.  The lamp is from The Christmas Story written by Jean Shepherd and directed by Bob Clark.  It's been around for at least 20 years and has become a family tradition or is it a family joke?  Either way we've been watching it every year for years.  The movie itself is on about as often as 'It's a Wonderful Life' and if you haven't seen it, it is a must.  Watch your local TV listings and set the time aside to watch I promise you will not regret it!   


Years ago my brother in law introduced the movie to our family on Thanksgiving.  It happened to be on at the same time a blow football game was on and he suggested we watch the movie instead.  We did, and that was it, game over, we all became addicted to the humor.  I think I've seen it several times a year since.  So maybe I am sick, maybe my whole family is.  Last year on Thanksgiving I think they did a marathon and if I'm not mistaken the channel didn't get changed once.  There was always a 'funny' part coming up and it couldn't be missed.  Whether it is the little boy in hissnow suit, the fight on the way home from school, the visit to Santa to ask for the BB Gun only to be told 'you'll shoot your eye out kid.'  The tongue on the flag pole.  (I've stuck my tongue to metal in the winter even though I was told not to, and believe me it is not fun!) You can't forget the pink bunny jammies from the famous aunt, or the Christmas dinner at the Chinese food restaurant.  Or the lamp above!  Like I said if you haven't seen it, what are YOU waiting for???  Those of you who have seen it, I will assume you've already chuckled at least once.  


It was on last night and my sister was watching it.  I grabbed the lamp and decided to 'do my thing' and send it to my brother in law as a joke.  No sooner was I done I found the link to the December Challenge.  I think it was a sign to post.  


I don't know how it changed things for me going into the holiday, maybe just a little humor about the every day life of a kid near Christmas.  I do know a year doesn't go by that I don't watch it at least once, or at least have it on as background noise to look only at the funny spots.  I think all of us, all 20+ in my family probably know it pretty much by heart.  Uh huh, I think we are sick!   LOL

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

LOL! This is great! I just watched that movie last weekend. And i've seen it so many times. Love this graphic ;)

~Tanya

Anonymous said...

That graphic is awesome! I love that movie!
- Jessica

Anonymous said...

Great graphic of the lamp.  Yes, I've seen this movie a few times, LOL!  Our
Family Christmas movie is Miracle on 34th Street.  A traditional viewing is an absolute must at our house.
Sam

Anonymous said...

    Everyone in this house loves that movie. Everytime I'd think of a part I enjoyed, you mentioned it. I love the part with the dogs and the turkcy, or the part when Mom breaks the lamp. And I love the part with Ralphie locked in the bathroom with his decoder ring! That's just a great movie.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

omg...i LOVE A CHRISTMAS STORY AND EVEN BEFORE READING YOUR ENTRY I WAS THINKING THAT...VERY CUTE..

KISHA

Anonymous said...

That is a great movie!  Linda