Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Moving Out

movingtruck.gif


 


Or is it moved out?  Back in spring my son and his buddy started looking for a place to move to.  It's been an on again off again search.  A couple of weeks ago they found a house for rent.  It isn't far from me, not even a couple of miles.  I could walk there.  I won't, but I could if the urge to do so came upon me.  They take over completely Jan 1, but the landlord gave them the keys and allowed them to start moving over the holiday since they both had some time off.  Needless to say each day and/or night they've been there cleaning, repainting, and making it 'their' place.  Each time he left he took a little with him.  I wanted to go check it out so I could help, maybe measure windows, something to help out.  His response was it wasn't ready and when his bed and dresser got there I could see.  


Monday the bug bit them.  No, not our little 'bug,' but the moving bug.  By dinner time his room was a shambles and all the furniture was gone.  He has some clothes and a huge mess, but everything is basically gone.  I had got him some items for Christmas and they soon disappeared from under the tree.  Monday after dinner I was headed to one of my sisters house to see her tree and have a holiday visit.  Of course, on the way I stopped at the new place.  He met me at the door and before he could say a word I told him.  'Your bed and dresser are here, and now so am I.' We both chuckled and we walked in.  The place isn't bad.  It's got a solid roof, floors, and the windows appear to be ok.  We will know more when the temperature drops down below 0.  LOL They have it decorated like a guys place.  Mind you they are both about 20, so it is definitely not a place for Mom to visit unannounced.  It looks good, and I'm proud of them.  They did most of the work alone.  Not sure if they wanted the to be proud of that fact, or wanted it to be all done before anyone saw it.  Either way they both should be proud.   


Me?  Well, I have mixed emotions.  I'm heart broken as he is my 'baby,' I am scared that it won't work and they both are trying so hard, I am excited as he wants this so bad.  Not that he hates living with me.  At least I don't think that is it, I think he just wants to be an adult.  I am also very proud.  Proud that he took the bull by the horns and did it.  He needs to learn and we've all struggled at one time or another.  It made us stronger.  It will make him stronger too.  Once again I have to quote a good friend who gave me great words when he went to Florida in the summer.   


It's like learning to swim. Remember the feeling you had when you first got the nerve to actually paddle and splash your arms erratically a few feet into the "deep end"? You know, where your toes, for the first time, were no longer clinging to that muddy river bottom that gave a sense of security. Even if only for a few seconds, it's a new beginning.  "by RH"    


Another new beginning in his young life. 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your son and his new place . . . and don't worry because he's going to be JUST FINE !!

Peace & Blessings,
Poochie :)

Anonymous said...

My oldest moved out this past summer, well sorta.  She is out on LI taking graduate classes & working as a substitute teacher.  It's hard for me to let go, I know I have to but I don't want to...; (
Good luck to your son!..; )
~Marie

Anonymous said...

time for him to swim...kudos to him for taking the plunge!!

Anonymous said...

Wow.  I am so not ready for any of that...granted, I have ways to go to get there with my kiddies.  Hope your Christmas was wonderful. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, your baby now off, I bet that is hard in some ways. I don't know how I would feel? But I still have several years before my oldest departs so I guess I too will get to experience these emotions when my time comes. At least he is close by if he needs you, or you him. I wish him all the luck and you as well.

- Jessica

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your son will be fine, he knows he has you to fall back on if things don't turn out but I'm hoping they will, for both of you. It's hard letting go of kids but we have to do it. At least he's gone in the right way, some kids walk out after a row with parents, that must be awful. Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

Youve done all the ground work now sit back and enjoy ,hell be fine ,it is hard to let them go ,but he s not far away ,they all leave the nest soon enough ,but they come back to visit ,...........Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Wow, your chick left the nest...  At least he is close and you will be there as he tests his wings for the first time!  Good luck to him!  Linda

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your son on his new home. If he doesn't like it Mom's place is nearby. Helen

Anonymous said...

Oh it so hard when they move out.  My daughter move in and our a few times LOL.
Betty

Anonymous said...

Donna~Well, you're an official empty-nester at least for now! You sound like you're adjusting well. ;-) For me when my son moved it was under similar conditions except he wanted to live with his girlfriend (now wife) All my friends were wanting their grown kids to move out and I was loving both of them living with me! Ahhh yes, we have to give them that room to be their own person and indivuate; it's so important!  xox Sass

http://journals.aol.com/debbted/SassysSecondWord

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Ahh yes, he's leaving the nest. Just be glad you won't have to clean that place, LOL. Good luck dealing with the little sadness that comes with it. You'll see, though, he'll be around. Guys come looking for leftovers...


Jimmy

Anonymous said...

I just went through this recently with my 19 year old. It`s not easy!
Penny

Anonymous said...

I had to let go of my daughter a couple of years ago. She did get married.
Luckily she still lives close by. It was hard, but I did tell myself, I have one more "child" at home.... which is my son with 18. - But he is talking about moving out next summer and I have the hardest time to let go of him. - The empty nest syndrome is scaring me. Need to find some more hobbies .....LOL....hope they will make up for letting the young ones fly out of the nest.
Best of luck to your son and to you! Hugs, Maria