Monday, October 16, 2006

From the Front Lines…..

…again a quick entry from a remote location of the front lines. We are all ok. I am still without power and the power company is saying maybe by Thursday. After that it will most likely be another week for the cable and internet connection to get up and running. The wood burning stove I posted not long ago has been a life saver as it has been heating the entire house. The wood pile in that same picture is about gone, but there are several other piles available so I'm not worried there.


Everything that was in my fridge and inside freezer is gone. We cooked what we could and had to toss the rest. The snow is now gone so there is no more 'natural ice' to put in the coolers, and buying ice is out of the question. You're lucky if you can find an open store let alone one that has milk, bread, or ice. Batteries? Forget it! I can't find a c or d to save my life. My neighbor does have a small generator that has been used to keep the big freezer running for several hours each day and saving us from losing all the meat.


There was about 400,000 people that lost power and currently they got about half back up and running but it is not an easy task. Every house has either lost a tree completely or had several limbs fall. Driving down any street is like a war zone. Along the roads are walls of cut wood, and branches stacked several feet high. Beautiful oaks or maples stand bare on the lawns with exposed edges protruding were branches once were. Some aren't even standing, but are laying across the yards. Our landscape here has forever been changed. I cry as I look around and the devastation but am so happy we are safe and what has been destroyed can be replaced.


My office is actually open and has power. It's good to see light, have the internet, see different walls, and have conversations with others. Ahhh but yes I am here to work. I need to cut this short but wanted to thank everyone for their good thoughts and prayers and let you know I am ok… miss you all tons.. and will be back as soon as I can. I no doubt will miss the closure of the Vivi nominations, but good luck to all!!


Hugs


~d

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW! I'm sorry your having to deal with this. I can't even imagine what your going through. Prayers to you and I hope they get everything up and running sooner then what said. God Bless!

- Jessica

Anonymous said...

D, I am glad you are safe.  Sorry there is so much devastation where you are.  I hope you have enough food and a way to refrigerate or freeze it.  Or maybe some dry goods.  Is there anybody at work who has extra who could share with you?  Or are they in just as bad shape as you are?  I hope something works out.  Praying for you.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink    

Anonymous said...

I am so glad things are getting back to a bit of normality and it is good to know you and yours are OK ~ thanks for the update keep safe and keep in touch ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

ah soudns like you got it bad but seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. so sad this happend during the final nomnations process

Anonymous said...

  Glad your getting by.  I hate storms like that.  No matter what I always have to find a way to get to work or they find some way to come get me.  Get me home!  Not but they do get me to work, LOL  

                 Julie

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that you're doing well (at least, from what can be expected) through all that's happening to you and your family.

Hope everything continues to be positive for you, we miss you too!

Morgan
xxxx

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Oh sweety, I am thinking of you each and every day!!!!  Please know that you are never far from my thoughts!  I can't believe in this day and age there can be something like this going on!!!  Please do take care of you and your family.
Hugs and love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

so glad you are ok, and i hope your power is back on sooner than thursday. Keep warm.
Love,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

OMG. This is just terrible to read and i am even more concerned for you than i was before. I wish we were closer, i would have you stay here at my home. It seems OFF here for me with you not around. LOVE YOU
lisa

Anonymous said...

Are yall getting mail by any chance? I hope the power comes on soon....will the electric co. pay for the loss of your food?
Gosh, I am so sorry you are having to got hrough all this...what a storm!!
Take care,
carlene

Anonymous said...

Thank the lord for the wood burning stove..
Sorry you had to throw some food out =(
Keeping you in my thoughts...
Hoping you get power sooner than expected!
Hugss..~Terri~

Anonymous said...

I just can't imagine because I don't think we've ever had it that bad here, we've gotten that much snow but never had power out for that long. You are in my thoughts and prayers, great news to hear you are all safe but wow... this will take a while for things to go back to normal. You are missed and will hopefully be back very soon. Stay safe and warm!!!
~ Jenny

http://journals.aol.com/dreamingbrwneyes/BunnySlipperBanter/

http://journals.aol.com/dreamingbrwneyes/SunshineExpressions/

Anonymous said...

wow Donna!
I am soooo sorry to hear that!:(
I hope that you will be ok soon and everyting will be restored! love,natalie

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean by the devastation. In 1987 we had hurricane force winds which blew down 8 million trees around the area I live, huge oaks just felled like dominoes, it was so sad. Now we have new trees planted that are nearly twenty years old and are getting big. Just as long as you and Steve are OK is all that matters right now. Take care and keep warm. |Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

Iwas wondering where the 'romote location' was lol ,so pleased you are safe ,and thankgoodness you have the wood burner ,its awful the trees are lost ,never to be the same landscape again  ,Take care ,.,.,.,Jan xx                                                                                    

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Donna
I was so glad to learn you and your family are safe.  The devastation you describe sounds like what one might have expected after a hurricane.  At least hurricanes usually hit in warm climate areas.  Thank goodness you've got that wood stove!  Looking forward to things getting back to normal for you again.  Hang in there!
Sam

Anonymous said...

JESUS.....I can't believe how severe it was!

When you told me that it was 'Snowing', I was jealous..but now....I'M STUNNED!!

xxxx

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are OK.  I was worried about you!
Hugs,
Gina

Anonymous said...

Donna....how are you keeping your house light at night?...assuming candles..but wow you must need a ton....I tell yah...if this storm isnt a testimony to stalk up big time....they always say to buy batteries...with my luck I would have rechargeable ones....makes me think about that flash lite I saw that one the awards....you shake it and it works everytime without batteries or electricity..solar charged I guess....well praying this week goes fast and you guys will be ok...-Raven

Anonymous said...

Sounds just like when we get hit by hurricanes, crazy...
~*~Carolyn~*~