Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Headaches and more...

I want to thank everyone for the wonderful well wishes after my entry last night.  I appreciate all the comments, emails, and IM's.  I assure you I am fine, even though I've mentioned some serious head aches over the past several months, I'm good.  I do not have a brain tumor, nor anything close.  I've been to the Doctor's and the reason behind all this is actually my mouth, not my head. 

 

What I'm about to say is known by very few folks here in JLand.  It's not something I wanted to dwell on, and to be very honest has been somewhat hard to talk about here in my journal.  I am not good with talking about such personal things.  I didn't/don't want pity, sympathy, or sadness.  I wanted this to be fun and relaxing.  I guess after all the concern I just feel it's time to get some of my past out so you can maybe relate or at least not worry so much. 

 

I have serious issues with my teeth.  Not because of poor dental hygiene, but medicine I was on years ago.  Basically, the roots of my teeth are disintegrating.  What medicine?  Hell if I can remember!  At the time, I was on so many different med's it's no wonder I even remember I was on any, let alone one that no doubt has 106 letters in it. 

 

Thirteen years ago shortly after Memorial Day weekend I was diagnosed with cervical cancer.  The entire summer was a whirl wind, did I say summer?  I meant year +!  Tests, surgery, poking and prodding.  Med's for this and that, 30 zaps of radiation followed by a 3 day stay in the hospital for an constant internal zap, and over a year of chemo treatments.  One of the med's for bone protection, I think, is what effected my teeth.  I was warned at the time, but what choice does one have?  So I took it.  I've been clean of cancer since.   I'm a bit of a warrior :)

 

A couple years ago I got an abscess and it was treated immediately, but not before it could start this whole mess.  My mouth is in constant pain, and I tend to grit or clench my teeth at night causing a vicious headache.  Some days are better then others, but over all I've learned to live with it, with or without sleep.  I do go to the dentist regularly and they are treating it the best they can.  I will live.  So no worries, I am not dying, I do not have a brain tumor, I am not on the verge of having an aneurysm.  I appreciate your concern, but honestly I am fine.

 

Hugs

~d

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

THIS I can understand I truely can. My gums well they wree receeding nad my roots falling apart. I had teeththat wiggled and gaps. I had a few pulled here and there. then when I was 42 I got tired of the bad teeth and bad looks and pain. Jaw pain head aches and yes gritting my teeth at night and constantly having head colds and sinus. I finally said THE HECK iwth it. I went to the dentist she said we can do this we can do that hang on to them long as you can. We can make em look pretty sturdy them up. give you meds MORE MED. heck meds are waht made them this way............. Sooooooooooooooo  I said pullem. everyone that had dentures said dont you will be sorry. I was like heck you dont know waht pain IM in. Hubby who has had dentrues since age of 20's due to a car accident knew my pain and said there are problems and they are not your real teeth and it will take time to get use to using them BUT I know you pain so if you wnat do it. I did it and smile proudly adn do not regret it at all. I mean if I could have real teeth that were pretty and good sure I d keep them but No more dentist visits no more gritting na dno more head aches or snius. No not perfect but I eat apples, steak, corn on cob and anything just aout.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Glad you're fine, that's a serious problem though.

Morgan
xxxx
http://journals.aol.com/Sneezy7125/RandomThoughts

Anonymous said...

am so glad you are cancer free. i got bad teeth problems during my chemo and radiation. i was worned i would. and those shots you get for the white and red cells, well they have literally made my body mush. everybone in my body aches constantly. but i am still here on this earth. (((((hugs))))))
Cindy

Anonymous said...

have you thought about getting them pulled? just a thought then no more head aches

Deb

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I am glad that that is all it is... I know what it is like to live with constant pain.... I too get horrible headaches a lot. I have miagrains so, I understand bad headaches... Feel better!!! Tawnya

Anonymous said...

wow Donna!
strong entry
I hope that it subsides soon
hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Oh Donna, I am sorry about the tooth pain, who awful.  Hope you have some hope of relief.

                    Julie

Anonymous said...

I guess "fine" is relative, considering what you once faced, but I sure hope you get some relief in some way shape or form. Please feel better, ok?

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

It's good to know you survived the cancer Donna, I know it must have been hard to go through and hard to tell us as well. Surviving this gives great hope to others going through it at the present so I'm glad you told us all! Meds have so many side effects, I'm sorry yours had this effect on your teeth but your here and that's the main thing. I hope you get some relief from these headaches. Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

Donna
Congratulations on your successful battle with cancer.  I am not surprised there were lasting side affects to all the treatments and medications taken during that period of your life.  The joyfull news is that you beat it and will be here for us to enjoy for a long time!  Let us pray that the dentist comes up with a treatment for you that will relieve the problem with headaches.  In the meantime, brave warrior, fight on!
Sam

Anonymous said...

Oh  Donna,so pleased you survived that awful ordeal ,this is a courageous entry ,bless you ,.,.,love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

i hate to hear that you have such pain with your mouth/teeth. i am glad you are going to a doctors and that you can be treated. Thank God you are free from cancer. YOU ARE A FIGHTER.
HUGS, lisa jo

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your continuing headache problems, Donna. Carry on like you are - I can't think which medicine would affect the roots of the teeth, but it's an unpleasant after-effect. But the result of not taking the whole course of treatment doesn't bear thinking about.

Be well

Guido

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you beat the cancer.
I am glad that at least you know what is causing your headaches.

I wish I knew something great to tell you.  But I don't.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Mouth pain is excrucinating...I cant believe the dentists havent figured out away to fix that yet...Did they give you a mouth piece to sleep with?..I grind my teeth and I need to get one...Do you massage your muscles by your ears? Mine get swollen...so I have to..drink tons of water cause massaging those releases all of those toxins..I hope they get this taken care of for you soon..its hard to function when your mouth is sore.....-Raven

Anonymous said...

This had to be hard for you to write.  I'm so glad you got well.  I hope the headaches get better.  Or you are able to deal with them better.  You sound like you have it all under control.  Very strong.
Pam

Anonymous said...

I appreciate how hard this must've been for you to write!

Just know that I'm thinking of ya, even though I haven't been able to get online much lately.

'I'm like a star......sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there'...

Lurve and hugs,

Ste
xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

h