Sunday, October 8, 2006

In My Own Backyard

DsDesignsDreamsAre-1.gif


Today started out great.  A lazy Sunday morning, lounging, reading the news, drinking my coffee.  The sun was shining brightly outside, but I knew it was cold.  I could see the dew on the grass and fallen leaves as it sparkled in the light. 

 

It was still very early when I heard the front door, and in struts my son.  OMG!  It's before noon and he is here.  Hell, it's before 11, he must be hungry.  LOL  He shivered a few times and said it was colder then a witches tit outside.  He is such a hoot!  My reply was why didn't he have a coat on.  I got the roll of the eyes as he picked up the remote and plopped on the couch.  Hmmm not the trek to the fridge right off the bat?  It was wonderful having him first thing.  I so miss our mornings together.  Sure there is a lot of grunting as we both wake up, but we've also had some of our most serious talks then.  I blame it on the fact that we weren't awake and our guard wasn't up yet.  Today was no different.  Today is his first day to picket.  We looked up where he had to park his car so he could catch the bus to the plant.  I offered to make him breakfast but nothing struck his fancy.  After about suggesting 4 or 5 things I got the grunt.  Ok, ok, I won't cook for you.  He grabbed a heavier sweatshirt that was still here and put it on over his football jersey.  I grabbed my camera and tried to get a shot.  'Mom, no, stop it!'  I laughed it off and kept following him.  'Look, you have nekkid pictures of me when I was baby, my first bath, my first step, first day of school, graduating, you DO NOT NEED the first day of the strike.'  We both laughed and I put the camera down.   We chatted some more and then it was time for him to leave.  As he walked out the door I felt a wave of emotions.  Tears welled in my eyes.  You so want to protect your children from all the bad in the world.  You want their dreams and wishes to come true.  You want their lives to be filled with nothing but good things and happiness.  Unfortunately as they grow up, become adults themselves, you can't protect them anymore.  You have to let them live, experience, learn from mistakes, and adjust to the things life hands them.  Let them have their own dreams.  I wanted to give him a hug, but ::sigh:: the door shut.

 

I had thought about taking a ride today to get some pictures, but it was fairly late when he left and I did want to watch the football game.  Or at least listen to it with the ability to see the replays.  I don't have high hopes as they are playing Da Bears, but I still like to know what is going on.  I was downstairs and looked out the sliding glass door.  Why go for a ride?  You have beauty right in your own backyard.  A good portion of the leaves have fallen but I liked the look of the trees past the end of my yard.  Bare trees, green, and color.  Then the darkness as you peer through the trunks.  It really isn't that full, but the effect makes you think it is a dense forest. 

 

  DsDesignsInmyownBackyard.jpg

 

When I turned to come back in the house there at the edge of the patio was the wood stack, or at least one of them.  In preparation for a cold winter the wood was stacked right to the yawning.  I took a couple pictures and walked in the house.  I wasn't sure why I'd bothered with the pictures of the wood but something made me do it.  As I closed the sliding glass door the wood stove caught my eye, and yeap I took shots of that too.  No doubt down the road I will find something else to do with them, but I decided to play a bit.  Just a reminder that winter is on the way and you don't have to go far to find beauty. 

 

DsDesignsWoodburningStove.jpg

 

Argh!  Did I say I wanted to watch the football game?  Good Gawd Da Bears are gonna kick some ass today.  OUCH!!  I'm glad I'm a hockey fan.  And my boys started the season 3-0... only 79 more games to go. 

 

Enjoy your Sunday!

hugs

~d

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL to you wanting to follow him with the camera! Typical mom!

But yeah, that's gotta be hard seeing your kids grow up so fast and not being able to protect them from everything in this world. It's part of their life experience though.

Hope you're having a good weekend,

Morgan
xxxxx
http://journals.aol.com/Sneezy7125/RandomThoughts


Anonymous said...

79 more hockey games?  Yikes.  My son races go-karts and we no longer belong to a league.  He's turnign 16 and cannot commit to such a schedule anymore.  By the way, I feel the same sense of loss about my kids turnign 16 and 17. They are becoming so independent.  I know I have to smile and give them confidence and courage, but it hurts still the just same.  :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/
Tracy

Anonymous said...

i am on hold with LIVEHELP.
Thanks for the info.
I think your son just wanted to see his mama today and be reassured. You are such a GOOD mom to him! I will keep him in my thoughts.
HUGS, lisa

Anonymous said...

I hope things go ok with your son's strike.  I was in a picket line once...up at the Capital.  Yep, picketing ol' Arnie with a LOT of RN's.  Yanno....it was kind of fun, too.  I was shocked.  So he may even have a few laughs today.  I hope he stays warm!
I loved your interaction with him....LOL!
Love your pics.  The wood stove is SO cool!  I want one in my backyard now!  LOL!
Enjoy the game.
Hugs, Pam

Anonymous said...

Keeping your son in my thoughts and prayers on his first day of the strike....I can't help but laugh seeing you following him with the camera...haha You sound like me....we want to capture all moments in life =)~   Have a good sunday!
Hugss..~Terri~

Anonymous said...

 It is hard watching your kids go through difficult times and you can't help them, they went and grew up on ya.  Darn kids.  Love you pictures.

                  Julie

Anonymous said...

Hoping your son does OK through the strike. Can't be easy

Anonymous said...

I hope your son manages through the strike. It seems such a shame to happen not long after he got the job. Let's hope it will soon be resolved. Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I think Steve will be OK hes had some good home care whilst growing up,he sounds such a nice fellow ,lol at his not allowing the photographs ,.,.,Jan x

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

You don't sound like a "Nightmare Mom" you sound like a good one!
~*~Carolyn~*~

Anonymous said...

I love your back yard its so pretty. I love your wood stove graphic and wood pile

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Lovely entry to read.  I so understand about letting your kids grow but still wanting to protect them! I like your pics - gorgeous as usual! Millie :-)

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Love the colors of your backyard ; )
Marie

Anonymous said...

Love the colors of your backyard ; )
Marie