Wednesday, October 19, 2005

And the rains came

        


I had a meeting at work first thing this morning.  I won't bore you with all the details, but after an hour and a half it was over and I needed fresh air!  I grabbed my jacket and headed downstairs and out the back door.  When I opened the door and headed out into the parking lot the wind was blowing pretty good.  My office is downtown and not far from the lake so it can become a little wind tunnel there.  The leaves were being ripped off the branches and scattered wildly through the parking lot.  Small twigs and the dusty dirt on the pavement was being whipped into little funnel clouds across the black top.  The sky was dark, full of big thick puffy clouds of grays and blacks, if I don't didn't know better I would have said they were snow clouds.  Off in the distance was a dark jagged line of black and just past that was clear blue sky.  Light powder blue like you'd see in the dead of winter.  As I stood there and gathered my thoughts, a rumble of thunder erupted.  It was so loud and had such force I thought the ground moved.  Before I could even turn around the sky opened up and the rain came.  It didn't start out slow, it came down hard and fast.  The wind forced the drops into me with such force it felt as though my face was being pinched or poked with needles.  It didn't take long for puddles to form in low spots on the ground and the leaves danced.  A wild tango dance that pushed them to and fro with each pelt of rain and each ripple the wind caused.  I ran to the door but not before I was soaked.  I shook of the excess water as I got in the door, dried my shoes on the mat so not to slip on the tile and headed back upstairs.  The pounding on the roof was so loud it sounded as though the entire ceiling was going to cave in.  As I waited for the elevator I closed my eyes and thought, 'do I wait?'  One of my biggest fears in life is getting stuck in an elevator, and you know why, right?  With my luck I'd be stuck between floors and have to use the restroom!  I did get on and pushed the button for the second floor.  I've always said we have the slowest elevator in the world.  You'd think you were going up 100 floors and it is only 1, but today it was slow, real slow, maybe it took hours, because by the time I got off on the second floor I could see out the front windows and the sun was shining and the crisp blue sky was all you could see.  The rains came hard and fast and moved out as quick as they came.

No comments: