Sunday, October 16, 2005

Friends

                         


This must have been 'catch up' weekend.  I received and made a few calls to friends.  Good friends, you know the type, the ones you don't see or talk to nearly enough.  Life happens and no matter how much you try, you just can't get together like you want.  It's not that we've grown apart really, but our needs and lives go in different directions.  


When my son was little, most of these girls were still single.  Some understood my responsibilities, some just didn't get it.  They didn't know why I couldn't go out every night like I did before, why I couldn't take regular vacations without him.  Needless to say, those that didn't get it moved on rather quickly and severed the relationship.  I always felt their loss.  Those that did understand, we became that much closer.  They loved having him around and included him in as many of 'the plans' as they could.  He loved them and called many of them his girlfriends.  Don't get me wrong, I did things without him, we all need to do that.  As a single Mom since he was 2, it wasn't something I liked to do often.  Working full time and running the household there was very little time with him as it was.  I surely wasn't going to spend every free moment of mine without him.  I enjoyed his company and he enjoyed mine.  Oh, those where they days!  At 19 he isn't in a big hurry right now to spend time with his Mother, LOL.  I know there will be a day when he won't mind being with me, so no worries.  


Anyway, how times have changed.  Now the girls have their children, all being under 10.  So the table has turned, I can come and go and they can't.  Now it's me going to the t-ball games, kiddy soccer, watching their kids grow.  Sure, I have friends that can go as I go, but I always miss the 'good 'ole days.'    


The girls I talked to this weekend will be friends forever, no matter what life throws our way we find a way.  If it's days, weeks, or months, we always find a way to spend time together to catch up in person, on the phone, email, whatever.  Even if months and months go by it's always like yesterday.  Friends that can read your mind, sense your mood by your voice or by your words are friends you cherish for a life time!

No comments: