Friday, October 21, 2005

Has winter arrived?

                              


I woke up this morning to a bright blue sky and the sun shining, but my heater had kicked in.  Apparently, what I could see sneaking through my blinds was very misleading.  I got up and started making coffee.  As I looked out the back window I was looking into the woods and what was left of the colorful leaves on the trees.  The wind a few days ago had pretty much wiped them clean and left lots of bare branches.  There was a subtle steam rolling across the grass and it looked like my yard was blanketed with diamonds.  Oh, I could only dream!  The frost had been laid and as the sunbeams filtered through the steam/fog it made some of the blades of grass glisten.  The air was still and everything looked mysterious as little rainbows were floating close to the ground.  It was a beautiful sight but my camera is not sophisticated enough to catch it, believe me I tried.   


After I was dressed and puttering around I decided to actually look out the front window.  I'm not exactly sure why, but I did and I am not sure why I was surprised after seeing my backyard but I think my jaw dropped.  My car had a layer of frost/ice on it.  I quickly grabbed my things and ran out the door.  I was hoping with all my might it would wipe clean with my wipers, but alas that aura.  It was much thicker than I had thought.  I didn't have time to let my car warm up enough to melt it away so I jumped out of my car, opened the trunk and grabbed the dreaded scrapper.  YIKES!  It's only October and here I am scrapping my windows so I could get to work on time.  I am not ready!!  And I surely wasn't going to try driving with an inch by inch circle to look through.   


Thank God when I jumped in my car it was warmer than the air, as my hands were numb and my fingers felt prickly.  I started driving to work and alternated which hand would be near the vent to thaw out.  I was casually driving along on the highway and after passing a few cars I found myself behind a little BMW (I think) and believe it or not the guy had his top down!  It was so cold and he was driving about 60-65.  I shivered and thought 'you jerk!'.  LOL He was either going through a mid life crisis or was getting in his last hurrah of the year.  Either way he had to be frozen solid and numb when he arrived to where he was going.  I hope someone was around to help him get out of the car when he was ready.  


They are calling for a chilly weekend with possible snow further south and in the typical snow country.  I know we have a few more nice days before the snow actually flies, but I wanted fall to last just a bit longer.  Wishing for Indian Summer should start in November not October!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

they started a new construction project on one of our highways last week and the first thing i thought was, wow that takes nerve - in Michigan it could be snowing by now, right?!!  you just never know when that white stuff is going to sneak up and get you!  Oh, and congrats on your Vivi nomination :-)