Sunday, October 23, 2005

Falling Ash

  


I went outside to grab something out of my car and the minute the door opened the smell of burning leaves engulfed me.  It was a wonderful smell and truly means summer is over.  Now, I live in a small town and open fires are not allowed, but at that moment I didn't care.  I had no idea where it was coming from and I stood on my step and took a few deep breaths enjoying the tingle I got from the chill in the air and aroma of it all.

I did get chilled as I didn't have a coat on and it is chilly here.  I decided to get to my car and retreat back in doors where I could smell my stew simmering.  As I made my way down the driveway and got closer to my car I thought, 'what the hell!?!'  For those of you reading, you know the aura with my car has not been great of late and today it appeared to be covered in a film.  The closer I got the more I realized it was covered with ash!  I have no idea why I didn't see it falling when I first came out, apparently I was too intrigued with the smell, but now I looked for the source and if it was possible it was landing on my car with embers still warm.  I did find the source to be next door way in the back, I could see the smoke rise above the trees.  There was no way the embers were hot as they landed but let me say I was not happy!  Had I done my sons dishes instead of leaving them in my sink I would have known there was a little fire going. It was clear shot from my kitchen window.  For a split second I wanted to bitch, cause a stink, call the cops, but this is the same neighbor who helps me clear that long driveway in the winter and I surely wasn't going to jeopardize that, but damn! 



We all know I will be wishing for rain tonight to wash it away or stop at the car wash tomorrow.  Aaahhh, the smell of burning leaves is always followed by falling ash.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

D
With every silver lining there seems to be a cloud full of rain, LOL!  I know I shouldn't laugh, but the thought of how you enjoyed that smell until you found the ash cracks me up.  Who knows, maybe your neighbor will see the ash on your car and wash it for you himself.
Sam

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming to my journal. I've really enjoyed reading some of your entries, I'll put you on my alerts. Congratulations on the Vivi nomination. Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

h