Saturday, July 29, 2006

July 29, 2006

Today was a good day.  I was up fairly early and did a few things around the house.  The sun was shining and I decided to take a ride to a park not to far from my house.  It had been a very long time since I'd been there. 

 

When I was in High School each Sunday during the summer we would meet up there.  It was jam packed with kids and the main road through the park was filled with folks playing catch, Frisbee, eating and drinking.  It was party heaven.  Sometimes we'd get up early so we could have a shelter.  We'd pack the coolers the night before.  Someone would be in charge of getting a metal garbage can.  We'd arrive and immediately start a fire.  Holes would be punched in the can near the bottom and we would flip the can over the fire.  With the bottom covered with tin foil we'd begin are ritual of cooking breakfast.  The smell of bacon would drift through the trees and ultimately bring a few stragglers over to see what we were doing.  A pot of coffee would be perking and we'd laugh and joke over a good solid meal.  By the time we were done the park would be filling up to capacity. 

 

My Senior year of High School we planned our Sr Skip Day for May 11.  The day turned out to be extremely hot.  If I remember correctly, it was in the 80's that day.  One of the first really nice days after a cold winter.  I had to work at noon, so I was only there in the morning.  About 2 in the afternoon a friend came into the restaurant and the look on her face was full of shock and sadness.   She pulled me off to the side to give me the news.  A few kids had ventured back to the reservoir to take a dip and cool off.  Because the water was still extremely cold one of the guys got cramps and started screaming for help.  Tons jumped into help, but to no avail.  When all was said and done 2 young promising boys had drowned.   I still think of Johnny and Mike regularly and often wonder what they would have become had they made it out of that water. 

 

In thewinter we would spend hours sledding down the hill.  The toboggan shoots would get you started and on more then one occasion we'd travel all the way to the tree line.  Going down was a blast but the climb back up was killer!  We'd take snacks and hot coca and go into the lodge and gather by the huge fire place to warm our fingers and toes.

 

When Steve was little we'd go there regularly as well.  The party spot was no longer there but the winter thrill was.  He never liked the toboggan shoots, he would much rather just go down the hill on his sled. 

 

On clear days you could see the city skyline so I thought I'd try that today.  When I got to the hill it was too hazy to see downtown, but it didn't stop me from taking a few shots.  The view of trees beyond the bottom of the hill.  The shoots locked tight for the summer.  The run you would take on the toboggan.  You can see how far the sleds would travel but do lose a bit of the depth in the hill.  The lodge, the fireplace, and the swing I sat on more times than I can remember. 

 

It was wonderful to just walk around and remember all the times there.   The fresh air, and wind blowing through my hair.  Then I realized the wind had picked up.  I could see the dark clouds rolling in.  Cracks of thunder in the distance.   It was then I decided to go home.  I thought for sure I'd get caught in the rain but it never rained in my area.  Steve met me for dinner after work and said it came down like cats and dogs north of the city.  Ouch!  Once again they got the storms.  Funny how lake effect works. 

 

Well, it's past my bedtime and I need to get my arse in bed.   Just thought I'd share a bit of my day.

 

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi D,

Wow, it looks like such a lovely place!

So sad about Johnny and Mike. What an awful tragedy!!

Thanks for sharing your memories with us.

Be well,

Ste
xxx

Anonymous said...

How sad about your two friends who died that day so long ago. Sounds like an awesome place to go hang out though. I love that graphic that is moving.
hugs,lisa

Anonymous said...

How sad about your two friends who died that day so long ago. Sounds like an awesome place to go hang out though. I love that graphic that is moving.
hugs,lisa

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Great memories Donna ,its good to go back and revisit places and the memories they evoke ,so sad about those young men ............Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the story, even if it was tinged with sadness. I often think of the lad in my class who ran his bike into a cardoor that was opened in his face - to be run over and killed by a following driver...

Anonymous said...

That is very sad that that happened to those boys.   My husband has a very sad stroy about his sr. skip day also.  A young boy was paralyzed from diving into the water on his while he was there.  So sad.  Linda

Anonymous said...

It's sad about the two boys, I often think of kids I knew who died and wondered what they would have been like now. It's good to go and look back to see how things have changed. Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

Sad to read of the loss of johnny and Mike...thanks for sharing the memories..I loved reading about all of it...hugs,TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

You share stories so beautifully and illustrate them so well with pictures.  I loved them.
~*~Carolyn~*~

Anonymous said...

Beautiful graphics and a beautiful entry as well!
Dianna

Anonymous said...

dear Donna
Im so sorry to learn of the death of two childhood freinds! my daughter suffered the loss of a dear freind tooona sledding accident!
I can't beleive yuowent tobaggoning! isn't that dangerous?
love,nat