Tuesday, July 25, 2006

WARNING: Some Might Consider This Pretty Graphic

I had every intention of going to work today.  My alarm went off at it's usual time, and though I didn't want to get up, it was nothing different.  That was, until I moved to shut the alarm off.  I could feel my head pounding.  I slowly got out of bed thinking it was the change in the barometric pressure that was wreaking havoc on my sinuses.  I went to the bathroom and splashed water on my face hoping the cool water would give some relief.  Then it was off to make coffee to get my morning fill of caffeine.   I turned on the computer to read my mail, a normal routine.  I got my coffee and came to the computer.  Each key stroke caused a pain in my head.  The tip tap of the keyboard sounded like hammers pounding or better yet bombs going off somewhere.  I decided not to type but to just read.  The dull roar in my head subsided for a few minutes and I decided to start getting ready.

 

Off to the shower.  I let the warm water rush over my skin and hoped it would relax me.  I stuck my face under the stream of water with the thought it would be warm enough to break up the sinus congestion.  I had decided to dress in a skirt today as it was supposed to be warm and muggy.  I got my lather so I could shave my legs and bent over to apply it.  The base of my skull felt like it got hit with a sledge hammer and the pain quickly traveled to the top of my head and then my forehead.  I felt as though if I opened my eyes completely they would fall out and travel down the drain with the excess water.  I held on to the wall as the wave of nausea hit.  With such quickness, and barely a warning, there I stood vomiting in the tub.  I hadn't eaten anything so it was just coffee and bile, but with every gag I felt I lost a piece of myself.  Like I was getting rid of my insides.  My head felt as though it was going to blow at any moment.  Soon came the dry heaves and then nothing but a gut wrenching pain.  My head was throbbing and every piece of my being hurt.  The water hitting me caused pain like I was being stabbed with little needles.  I grabbed the shower head and rinsed out the tub, and washed me off leaving my one leg only partially shaved.  I got out of the shower and called off sick.  I swear it hurt to talk and leave the message for my boss.  About half way through the message I remembered she would be late so I called a co-worker to give her a heads up.  I knew she'd answer her phone and the thought of actually having to talk sent my eyes into a blur.  I let her know what was going on and it was off to get some med's and get back in bed. 

 

I took a towel and got it wet with cool water.  I laid with my head at the foot of my bed in front of the window to get the little bit of cool air coming into the house.  I felt so hot, so sore, like I was dying a slow painful death.  The fan in the hallway had a low hum but it felt like samurai swords spinning in my skull.  I couldn't turn it off for fear I would just completely melt in the humidity and the heat I was feeling.  I say feeling because looking back I really don't think it was that warm or humid I just felt like I was suffocating.  I covered my eyes and forehead with the cool wet towel and tried to lay there with no thoughts, no sounds, nothing.  I swear there were a few seconds where I actually left my body as it worked.  Nothing was happening.  No breeze, no cars on the road, no light, no heat, no fan, no towel on my face.  Rotten eggs, the strong scent of rotten eggs took over.  It was as though I was laying in a field of eggs that had been baking in the sun for weeks.  It was then everything came rushing back to me and I ran towards the bathroom.  My head was pounding so bad I couldn't get to my knees so I just leaned over the porcelain God helplessly.  I had nothing left in my stomach but the dry heaves would not stop.  With each lurch my eyes filled with tears and my forehead felt like it was cracking against the wall.  No doubt my brain will be falling out soon.  It felt like I was there for hours, but it was only a couple of minutes.  My body was drained and as I walked back to my room it felt as though I was carrying 200 pounds of cement.   I practically fell back into bed and sleep finally came.

 

I woke up several hours later and felt better.  I still have a slight roar in my head and I feel as though I ran amarathon.  Every muscle hurts, a little queasy and I am slow in movements for fear the pain will come back.  I got dressed in shorts and a tank top and let a little chuckle out as I realized I had one partially shaven leg and beautiful black nubs every where else.  No need to try again I have no intentions of going any place. 

 

Migraines are not fun.  Not at all.  They come without warning and make you feel like you will be meeting your maker in a matter of minutes.  I use to get them a lot, but haven't had this lovely experience in some time.  Let me tell you, I haven't missed it at all. 

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so hope you feel better soon, I know about headaches, but have never found a real cure to help kept them at byt, a real big hug for you and I hope it subsides

Anonymous said...

Oh dear poor you. I hope you feel better soon and that the after effects don't hang around too long. I used to suffer as well but have been fine for a few years now.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you have had a migrain they are awful things.  Hopefully it has passed now and you will be better real soon.  Love Joan. http://journals.aol.co.uk/jaymact1/JoansMusings/

Anonymous said...

Hi hon:  I am so sorry about your headache I have migrane headaches that put me to bed for days and your right the Barometer has alot to do with it, my husband says I am a better predicter of the weather than CNN just because of my headaches.  There is a new over the counter forehead patch that is cooling and helps a little. My doc gave me a cocktail of Phenergen, Vistaril and Vicodin that knocks me out but when I wake up the headache is gone. Tastes like someone pooped in your mouth but toothpaste fixes that and wooo hooo back to normal. Feel better soon. And that shaving this is a problem for me to cause I can't wear my glasses in the shower so I usually have strays. No biggy.LOL Take care of yourself
Be Blessed
Jean

Anonymous said...

Oh you poor thing ,how awful for you ,I hope it has passed now ,you said yesterday,you were cool at work then hot when you came home,that cant have helped ....Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry....I too have migraines and I know exactly what you are talking about and it isn't pretty. I hope you start feeling better. :o)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

i hope you feel better soon:) migraines are the worst!

Deb

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie, I'm sooooooo sorry. Now I see what you meant about the migrane. I had no idea :( Oh God, I can't believe you had to go through that this morning, it's terrible and so scary at the same time. I'm glad you were able to make it back to bed without passing out in the bathroom, that could've been so dangerous! Just try to relax for the rest of the day and don't stay on the computer too long.

(((HUGS))), Mandy  

Anonymous said...

Oh you poor girl.  I too used to 'suffer' migraines on a regular basis.  Hadn't had one in years until a month or so ago when I thought, "Well, hell, I don't miss this crap".  Feel better soon.  Don't move too much ... ouch ...

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

That sounded pretty horrendous, and with the hot weather it's probably worse. Relieved to hear the attack has now passed - take it easy!

http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

Anonymous said...

Omg I thought you were dying! I kept reading thinking this would get better, and you'd be ok. Oh man, I am so sorry. Hope you feel better and that doesn't ever, ever happen agin.

Brenda

Anonymous said...

Holy crap....I hope you NEVER have it so severe again in your life!

Are you ok now?

Thinkin of ya hun,

Lv Ste
xxx

Anonymous said...

Aww Donna,
I hope you feel better. That sounds truly terrible. Stay home from work tomorrow if you need to and rest up. What a terrible experience and I can see why you made that particular graphic - although I like it.
Dianna

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I hope you are able to take tomorrow off as well. I didn't realize they were this bad. Hope you feel better today!!
~ Jenny

Anonymous said...

Oh Donna!!

I'm so sorry about your awful migraine!  It was gut wrenching to read about, I can't imagine what it must have been like to actually live through......one of my sister's has migraines and it wreaks havoc on her life when they hit.  It's a miracle you didn't pass out, I'm glad you made it back to your bed!  I'm behind on alerts, as usual....hope you are better by the time you read this.

Take Care,
~Bilinda~

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear your not feeling well.  I have never had a migrane .  In fact I rarely get headaches at all.  I think after reading your story I have a lot to be thankful for. Get better soon!!!

Take care,  Liz

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Awww, I a sorry you were so sick friend...and do hope you are feeling better...Hugs to you...take care and rest....LOVE the graphic!!!!! TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

All the tags you made are so pretty...i like how you take a photo and make something special out of it. I am so sorry you had a migraine.....those are terrible and the way you described yours is scary!
hugs,lisa

Anonymous said...

Gee I am sooo sorry! do yu get these often? what does the doctor say?
hugs.natalie