Saturday, July 1, 2006

What a Friday!!!

Friday morning started out absolutely beautiful.  A perfect summer morning.  The sun rose over the houses across the street and spread glorious yellows and oranges through the sky.  The white puffy clouds appeared to glow and radiate the colors even further.  The leaves on the trees danced in the breeze and sparkled as the rays of sunshine hit them.  I didn't grab my camera as I was running late for work.  Yeap, I had to work.  I actually had extended hours as well.  I took off Monday so others took off on Friday and I had to stay to make sure we had coverage.  I made my way to work and had my car windows opened instead of the air on.  The warm summer breeze made it's way through my car, along with the other summer scents in the air.  Fresh cut grass along the highway, the hot tar as the highway crew patched up the road, and, yes, the exhaust from the other cars.  It didn't bother me too much, I was just glad the sun was out and it was warm.  I wanted to enjoy as much as I could!

 

Work was pretty slow.  Being a Holiday weekend here and in Canada there wasn't much happening.  What did happen was urgent in the eyes of the clients so as things came in it was a rush to get them done, then it was back to slow and boring.  As the day wore on the office started to empty out.  Folks leaving early to start their vacations or weekends.   It was about 2:45 when it happened.  The office got dark.  Not pitch black, but dark like someone turned off half the lights.  I was in my little 'cubbie office' and could hear rumblings outside my walls.  I couldn't make out what my co-workers were saying but I could tell by the tone of their voices something was going on.  I pushed my chair back away from my desk so I could peek around the wall.  In an instant the office lit up and a large boom occurred.  I swear I jumped right out of my chair.  I thought there was an explosion in the building.  Gas leak?  What?  As I stood up I could see out the windows of my second floor space.  It was pitch black outside with the exception of the lightening bolts scattering across the sky.  I wished I had on ruby slippers so I could close my eyes and say, 'there's no place like home' as I clicked my heels together.  Leaves and smaller tree limbs banged on the windows.  You could see the shingles on the new church roof next door flapping in the wind.  Thunder so loud I swear you felt the vibration.  Hail the size of golf balls slamming on the windows, roof, and walls.  Lights in the building flickered, computer screens jumped, it was an eery feeling being inside, but I was thrilled I wasn't outside.  I prayed my son was already at work and not driving in it.  The entire episode lasted only 15 minutes, but the rain fell for another 30 or so.  Some of us ventured downstairs and stood in the stoop out of the rain.  The street out front had rivers flowing on either side.  The clouds were black and low, the higher ones behind were a glowing white yellow.  A funny haze was surrounding the entire city and looked to extend well into the horizon.  The temperature dropped about 20 degrees during the storm and as it cleared the heat and humidity returned and was oppressive. 

 

When the excitement ended and we headed back to our work stations you could hear the voices of folks reading the weather information off the Internet.  A tornado had touched down a bit south of the city.  No, not one but two.  Semi trucks were lifted and moved, one was blown over on the highway and blocked several lanes of traffic.  Trees fell over, roofs blown off, windows smashed.  A tornado, here?  Wow!  That is not a normal occurrence here at all.  Snow storms, yes.  Tornado's no!  Reports of only two minor injuries, thank God!   When I lived in the Dallas area I remember one coming through the neighborhood I lived in.  Scared the bejesus out of me and I remember saying then, 'at least home doesn't have these.'  Or so I thought. 

 

Later last evening another storm rolled through.  Not half as bad as the first but the rain pelted the earth and everything in it's path with such a force.  Mother Nature was angry with something.  It went on for less then an hour, but it was scary as you looked in the sky and saw the dark clouds lower themselves and glow with an orangey haze.  They moved out as quick as they moved in and it was over.   What a Friday!!

 

Today is absolutely gorgeous.  The sun has been shining, it's close to 80 and there is a wonderful breeze coming in the open windows.  Other than the continued news reports of yesterday you'd never know anything happened yesterday.   Oh, and by the way, my son was already in the plant when the storm came through.  He didn't even know anything happened until much later when others told him.  Nice not to have windows sometimes. 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you are ok:) enjoy the weekend


Deb

Anonymous said...

Have a great weekend!!

Liz

Anonymous said...

Glad it's sunny today for you. As you know we've experienced much the same on the East Coast here but we don't have hail - thank goodness! Although storms of that nature do have somewhat of a poetic beauty - I hate them and I'm sure you do too.
Hope your weather continues to be sunny.
Dianna

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

OMG! That is an awesome graphic! Great animation! I just love how realistic it looks all it needs is sound now, lol! BEAUTIFUL! The way you write sometimes is just beautiful too. It's like you put us there in that place. ;-)

- Jessica

Anonymous said...

You see I told you ,you are as clever with words as with pictures ,OMG I was wondering what was going to happen as you ventured out of your cubby hole and then the storm !!!,I was on the edge of my seat as I read this ,well done, well told , Jan xx Ps Loved the wind chimes ,My Mum had some very similar ,brass and they had to be cleaned lol xx

Anonymous said...

Wow! That sounded bad! We have small tornados over here, in fact they've said we have more tornados per square mile of country than the US but they rarely do a lot of damage. I hope the sun stays out for you over the weekend! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

ohmy goodness Donna (((((Donna)
Please be careful! I'm a part of that big ole Donna fanclub! and I want to make sure you stay ok!How fascinating taht the weather before adn after gave no clues
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

Love your chimes in the window with the rain. Just beautiful!
Sug

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h