Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Raindrops

I opened my eyes this morning as my alarm went off.  My room was still pretty dark but it wasn't because it was too early, it was dark and gloomy out.  It had rained on and off all night long.  I wanted to stay in bed but knew I had to get up and move.  Since summer had arrived I set my alarm a bit later.  Not much traffic going in, but it also didn't give me the luxury of lounging for long before I had to leave.  The house was fairly cool because the fan was on.  They had called for rain so all the back windows in the house had been closed when we retired for the night.   I made the coffee and did my normal morning routine.

 

When I stepped outside it was stifling.  It wasn't raining but the humidity hung in the air as thick as pea soup.  Not foggy, but moist.  I could feel the dampness on my skin even though there was no rain falling.  My chest felt as though there were weights on me, pressing me up against a wall.  My sinuses immediately felt like they were stuffed with wet cotton balls.  I got in my car and turned the air on full blast hoping for some relief.  Wrong!  I was blasted with a musty stale water smell for the first few minutes.  Oh today was not going to be fun! 

 

The ride to work was uneventful until the rain started to fall again.  It really wasn't bad, but the drops were huge and splashed as they hit the windshield.  I must have been behind someone who has NEVER driven in the elements before.  From the desert maybe?  Immediately they stepped on the break and drove in the passing lane going 30 miles per hour.  I barely had my wipers on so I know it wasn't that they couldn't see!  I moved into a different lane and went on my merry way hearing horns honk as made my way down the road.  The poor folks behind me didn't have the option of moving over apparently so they just blasted their horn over and over again.  Did the slow car move?  Of course not!  I pulled into the parking lot at work and parked my car.  I gathered my things and got a glimpse of myself in the mirror.  Oh my Gawd!  I looked as though I stuck my finger in a lightsocket.  Why did I bother fixing my hair this morning?  The humidity breaths life into my curls and there is just no controlling them.  This way and that, ringlets, spirals, a little frizz.  I rolled my eyes and just said screw it, no one there I want to impress anyway.  By the time I got to my desk I could feel that it had gotten worse just walking through the parking lot.  I pulled out a mirror and saw Elvis Presley flips.  ARGH!!!  So be it, do what you want I thought to myself it wasn't going to change and nothing I did, short of cutting it all off, was going to help.

 

It rained off and on all morning and before I knew it lunch time arrived.  I decided I needed to get out of the building, so I grabbed my umbrella and was on my way.  It wasn't raining when I first arrived outside so I made it to my car safely and unharmed.  What more could the humidity do?  My skin felt clammy and my hair was a wild mess.  I went for a short ride and arrived back at work to see folks standing in the back parking lot.  I stopped to mingle as I still had time left.  As we stood there I was grateful for the umbrella.  It started to sprinkle a little.  I stood talking and watching the drops hit the puddle nearby.  The drops would hit and the ripple would make its way to the edge, only to be followed by the next ripple.  Not in the exact spot, just far enough off the mark to give the illusion of waves.  As the rain fell harder, the drops got bigger, as did the ripples.  I couldn't pull my eyes off the effects.  The ripples were no longer circular as the next drop would fall before the ripple could move.  Stars, ellipse, ovals, octagons.  It reminded me of playing with 'spyrograph' as a child.  I was fascinated and wished I had my camera.  I don't ever recall seeing that effect before.  Then, all of a sudden it looked like a rolling boil.  I know I've read about 'rolling boils' in recipes but I never have the patience to wait that long.  Today I actually saw what it would look like.  In a puddle in the middle of the parking lot.  That's when I decided to go in.  LOL

 

The rest of the day was off and on rain.  Thunder, lightening, and then a calmness.  It remained dark and gloomy all day but at least now the humidity has subsided and the temperature dropped below 70.  It's actually refreshing or is it just me because it was so sticky all day?  Today was reported to be the 'bad' day of the week.  The temps will be rising.  By the weekend it is suppose to be sunny and in the mid 90's.  Hmmmm, and I have plans to go to Rochester for an outdoor craft/art show.  Oh yeah, I'm so smart!!  Give me the A/C and/or a pool!! 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can almost see you as you drive and go about your day. You have quite the way of expressing it all. I bet your hair is cute with curls after a rain. I love curly hair.
I rained in Ohio yesterday but not today. Just hot.
Hugs,lisa

Anonymous said...

We are experiencing much the same here on the East Coast. My umbrella is always in the car and I don't know why. LOL Sooooo I end up looking like a wet rat!
I love the graphic!
Dianna

Anonymous said...

Messed up hair and clammy skin, is'nt that a new fashion trend? It is here in Philadelphia, lol. Anyways, try and stay cool and I hope the rest of the week is better for you. (((Hugs))))

Anonymous said...

Hello!  Sounds like cool efects in the puddle. I would like to see something like that happen myself. Do you think that you could do that kind of effect in a puddle in one of your graphics? It would be cool if you could. It's hot here also on the east coast(Maryland)but no rain yet. When its that hot here I stay where my buddy the A/C is.  

Anonymous said...

I love your use of words, the way you describe things....it's amazing!  Got a mental pic of your hair and some of our past discussions on that subject and got so tickled! (ha)  Your graphic is beautiful!  As always.....

Take Care,
~Bilinda~

Anonymous said...

For once we seem to have better weather than you! It's hot, sunny with a cooling breeze here....no humidity at all! Sorry, have I got you jealous now?! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

Lovely graphic!  :O)

Anonymous said...

You obviously have eyes to see ,artists eyes I think, what a wonderful way with words too in order to explain ,some thing so simple as rain in a puddle I am in awe of you ,What an entry! .....Jan xx   oh and the graphic is lovely !

Anonymous said...

Very pretty!!!!
Betty

Anonymous said...

I like that graphic, yes it rained all day here yesterday too.  This upcoming week is going to be hot and HOTTER!  Linda

Anonymous said...

I have had storms at night by my house all week!  Linda

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

It had been very humid and *yucky hot* at the same time....over here in TX.
Love the graphic you picked! Hugs, Maria

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

wow you are lucky you had rain!
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

Gosh Donna that driving part was spooky!Glad you're okay!

love,nat