Saturday, July 22, 2006

Peaceful

The day has been so peaceful.  I woke up fairly early and lounged with my coffee as I read through mail and surfed looking for news on my boys.  It had rained pretty hard through the night and the morning there were still traces.  The temps had cooled off a bit and the sky was overcast.  As I sat and read the news I could hear the rain start up again.  I gathered myself in my favorite chair, covered with a soft fleece blanket, closing my eyes I put my head back and listened.  My house was completely silent.  No TV, no fans, but I could hear the peaceful activity outside.  Birds chirping in the rain, yes they do fly when it rains out.  The whooosh as cars passed by and the tires splashed the water on the street.  There was a definite rhythm.  Silence, then a gentle sound growing stronger as the car got closer, only to begin to fade again.  Before the sound could completely disappear I could hear another car coming.  Three or four times in a row, then silence for a few minutes.  Again it would start and last a bit longer before the silence came.  My head was close to the open window and I could feel the cool breeze pass over the window sill and gently brush upon my cheek.  The rain danced off the wild flowers in the garden out front and when the rain picked up the 'music' was soothing.  No thunder, no lightening, just a peaceful rain after the hot and humid week.

 

I've basically done nothing but lounge around today.  I did get dressed, but I have no intentions of going any place.  I'm enjoying the stillness of my house.  I love my sister dearly, but since she moved in almost two years ago I've lost my down time.  I love being around people and a good chat is something I truly enjoy, but I talk for a living.  I have to listen, comprehend, and talk.  Sounds quite simple, but it can be draining.  There are days I get home and I just enjoy the quiet.  I don't want to have to think, listen, pretend to care.  Mean?  Not meant to be, just kind of fact.   The TV is constantly on, comings and goings of her sons, my son.  The phones ringing, both cells, and the land line.  Bitching, moaning, drama.  Lately it seems to be more common.   Before my sister moved in it was my son and I, alone, for some 18 years.  Friends would stop etc, but the house was never so hectic for such a long time.  Like I said, I do love them, and enjoy my sister being here, but once in awhile we need a break from it all.  This is perfect for me.  I can keep the house quiet, dark, loud or bright.  I can do it my way without worries. 

 

I was playing with this graphic earlier with the intention of just giving the rain feeling and the next thing you know I have the dove and I really loved it.  I played some more and before I knew it was to large to upload.  Darn it AOL!  I wasn't removing any of my effects so I just made it smaller.  I still love it, but the larger version is so much more effective. 

 

Well, now what?  Do I nap?  Start dinner?  Finally turn on the TV?  Read a book with a cup of tea?  I can't decide.  LOL  Maybe I am bored with all the silence?  NOT!! 

 

Have a great day!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect day to me! There is nothing as relaxing as being in a quiet house with nothing but the sounds of nature coming from the window. I love having my face by an open window when it's raining. Everyone is entitled to that peacefulness every once in a while and it doesn't make you mean or selfish, just human. Enjoy it while it lasts, and don't feel guilty about needing some down time every once in a while. It's necessary for us to survive in this crazy and hectic world! I love the graphic, and the dove looks perfect in there. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Mandy :)  

Anonymous said...

Well Iwished you a peace ful day dear and what you described was perfect ,and look what you produced, I  sat and looked at it for ages , beautiful ! ....Jan xxx

Anonymous said...

Well, I sure am glad to hear it cooled down for you.
This is your special day where you get to do whatever you wish; enjoy it in whatever way suits you.
The graphic is beautiful and you should be able to upload 1 mb on the file manager. I guess if it's bigger than that they reject it. Oh well, it used to be 500 kb. Maybe AOL will learn someday but I sure wouldn't hold my breath on that one!
LOL
Dianna

Anonymous said...

alls i see is a red x:( enjoy your down time alone:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

You are really kind to have your sister in your home......i like reading how you were able to enjoy the peacefulness of your morning....i hope the rest of your day is special too.
hugs,lisa

Anonymous said...

I vote for reading the book!
Becky

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your peace and quiet. The way you described the birds chirping and the sounds of the cars passing my it was like I was experince it my self. Great graphic. Take Care!!   Alvia

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

lovely picture Donna!
love,nat

Anonymous said...

lovely picture Donna!
love,nat