Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Haunted........

          DsDesignsHaunted1.gif


I wasn't going to comment on the series the boys are in until it was over but I changed my mind.  We've played two games and are up 2-0 in the best of seven.  The first game went into double overtime and Briere scored the game winner.  During the game one of our defensemen, Brian Campbell, gave an unbelievable hit.  R.J. Umberger, of the Flyers, was skating up the middle of the ice with his head down (something you learn day 1 not to do), and wham Brian hit him.  A perfectly legal hit, but much harder than anyone expected and Umberger lay on the ice several minutes before getting up and going off with help.  Umberger had no idea where he was as was evident when they showed his face.  Dazed and confused really doesn't even cover it. 

 

I was haunted by previous games of the 'Broad Street Bullies' and wondered how the Flyers would react to game two.  My fear was they would come out being extremely physical and forget the reason they were playing.  My boys came out flying and in the first 15 minutes of period 1 they were up 5-0.  Philadelphia then lost their cool in the second period.  They virtually went head hunting and had 7 penalties for a total of 33 minutes.  It was scary and completely out of control.  I am just glad no one got hurt.

After the game the coaches had their interviews and our coach stated 'the more they played like idiots the more we wanted to play.'  The score ended up being 8-2.  When the Flyers coach gave his interview he commented on how embarrassed he was.  Not for his teams play, but rather for being beaten so badly.  A reporter repeated the 'idiot' comment and he got angry and stormed out.  On his way he was caught live say, 'tell Lindy to f' off' and continued with 'he needs to mind his own f'in business.'  Talk about losing control!

 

We now go to Philadelphia for 2 games.  Apparently apologies were made, but Iam haunted, scared of the direction this series is going in.  I've seen fans get way to involved in their teams play.  I've seen Philly fans stand, applaud and cheer as Michael Irvin of the Dallas Cowboys lay on the field not moving.  I've seen them throw drinks at players and coaches.  Batteries on the playing field at anyone they could hit from the opposing team.  I even remember a fan climbing on the glass to get into the penalty box of an opposing player and falling in still swinging.  This is not the sport I love and I am hopeful nothing will happen but a good clean game.  

 

I am haunted....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Human nature being what it is, enthusias is great!  But, I don't understand the mentality of fans who think it's 'their game' or 'their right' to be abusive to others, be it players, coaches or fans.  Let's keep the prayer line open.

Anonymous said...

Donna, I'm sorry the Flyers are showing up so bad they ar a disgrace to the city, Hitchkoch (s/p) really lost his cool and needed to apologize.
Trust the fans will behave in Philly. They can be scary. I have seen it up close. It is hard to defend actions like that.
If I had my way I would cede the series to your "Boys".
Good Luck, Bill

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

This sounds like some heated competition to say the least....hope it goes okay the rest of the series.  Good luck!!

Michele

Anonymous said...

Donna Im sorry that you had sucha gruesome game. I haet it when that happens.Hopefully itis over. love,nat

Anonymous said...

We have trouble with our football over here, it's taken way too seriously nowadays. It's meant to be sport but I'm afraid these players get such high wages and a lot of pressure is put on them to give good performances every time. The true spirit of sportmanship is lost now. Jeannette.  

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

As Jeannette says Donna, this sounds all too familiar nowadays. I love football, but not the "fans" that go with it sometimes. It ruins it for everyone else. No wonder you're haunted. Excellent graphic :-)
hugs Debbie ~xxx~
http://journals.aol.com/debbiewebb4465/TheLifeTimesofanEssexGirl

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I love hockey...but why does it always fall to that? ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies